Some HD channels missing after Retune Event

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by David Briggs, Mar 7, 2018.

1. David Briggs

David Briggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Today is the 7th of March and I have been seeing warnings about today's Freeview retune event. I have done a full retune on the LG HD TV and a "Smart" retune on the Humax FVP recorder. The latter preserves the recording schedule.

Afterwards, neither TV nor recorder can see BBC News HD on 107 or the childrens' channels CBBC HD on 204 and CBeebies HD on 205. The FVP reports insufficient signal but the main HD channels (BBC1 etc) are all fine. Interestingly, the FVP knows what programme is supposed to be on and the Guide is fully populated. I just can't see anything on the missing channels.

We are line of sight from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter, and signal strength is not normally an issue. I'm not really in touch with which multiplex is what, but I guess something is squiffy (technical term). Any suggestions on how to de-squiff?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,890
    Unplug the aerial from the tv and recorder. Then do a retune it will tell you that no signal... Plug the aerial leads back in and try another retune... Doing this wipes the memory on the tv tuners. Let us know how you get on.

3. David Briggs

David Briggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the suggestion. I can try that on the TV, but I have a bunch of programmes scheduled to record on the Humax. They will be wiped if it can't find the same channel after retuning.

4. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,890
    Nope should be fine.

5. David Briggs

David Briggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The TV has a better signal monitor, so I have investigated further using that. Firstly, the TV reports a good signal on UHF channels 39, 40, 42, 43, 45, 46 and 48. That includes a lot of the channels, of course, including BBC 1 and 2, SD and HD.

The channel guide on ukfree.tv says my problems relate to channels 33 (com7: BBC News HD) and 35 (com8: BBC 4 HD, CBeebies HD). The TV says there is no signal on either of these, as in 0%.

I tried the retune with the antenna disconnected trick on the TV only and when I reconnected and retuned, the behaviour was unchanged. In other words, still no signal on channels 33 and 35. That means a manual retune on those channels does nothing. I didn't see the point in trying the same thing on the Humax as it is likely to cause too much hassle for no benefit.

My conclusion is that there is no signal being broadcast from Sutton Coldfield on these two channels. If there are any AVForums members in this area, I would appreciate any comments.

6. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The reason you are not seeing anything on 33 and 35 is that ukfree.tv is out of date. The UHF channels you should now be checking are 55 and 56, which may be outside your aerial's frequency coverage.

A more reliable source of information is:

Digital UK - Coverage checker

with "Detailed View" selected.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  7. David Briggs

David Briggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that. I had used Digital UK to look at the coverage in my area, but as it didn't say which TV channel is on which multiplex, it was no help. I can see from ukfree.tv that the HD channels I am looking for are on com7 and com8, and Digital UK says these are on UHF 55 and 56, so that helps.

The TV says there is 0% signal on both of those channels.

The retune has affected both my LG TV and Humax recorder. Mind you, the signal to the TV goes through the recorder, so maybe there's a single point of failure there. And thinking more along those lines, back up the wire, my Sony HXD995 (old SD) recorder is in the way as well. That is more likely to be affected by new high-frequency signals. Maybe I will have to adjust the wiring...

8. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yes, check all the connections on the way down from the aerial. If you have had a 4G filter fitted, that could be reducing the signal at 55 & 56. Otherwise, probably worth getting the aerial checked. In the meantime, the HD channels on COM 7 & 8 are still available on SD on the other Mux.

For details of what is on each Mux, try Digital UK | Channel listings.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  9. David Briggs

David Briggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I connected the down-lead directly into the TV. That gave me nothing on 56 but a reduced-strength signal on 55. Manually updating added BBC News HD and 15 other channels. Normally, the down-lead goes into the Humax, then to the Sony and lastly to the TV. The Humax is in the best position, but it is still not seeing either 55 or 56. Reconnecting as normal lost BBC News HD from the TV.

The main aerial is in the loft, so maybe I should try adjusting it. It's a big old thing that might just need replacing...

10. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yes, well loft aerials are not ideal, even in strong signal areas as all the things around them like water tanks, walls and roof cladding (not to mention stored clutter!) can have all sorts of unpredictable effects.

11. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    I’m having the same problem with channels like Dave and E4+1. It’s affecting both of my televisions in the house. I can’t check my aerial as it’s a communal area in a flat. Is this likely to be resolved or am I snookered now?

12. pippin

pippin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've lost COM6. Yesterday, TalkingPictures,...

Winter Hill.

Unbelievable.
    Freeview is a joke.

13. David Briggs

David Briggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My conclusion was that my loft aerial was either pointing slightly off or was too old to pick up the new higher-frequency channels. I bought a £20 powered set-top booster, which gives me a better signal but it has to sit on the windowsill to get a signal and there it is affected by the curtains being drawn and also by people and dogs moving around the room. Not ideal, so I will try replacing the loft aerial with a newer one.

I've ordered one from Maplin's and also a signal strength indicator, so I've got a decent chance of pointing it the right way. Line of sight doesn't work through roof tiles! Hopefully, I'll get those delivered before Maplin's cease trading.

Other than that, the way to go is identify the multiplex that the problem stations are broadcast on, find the channel that uses from your local transmitter and then use whatever tools you have to check the signal strength. Links to the Digital UK web site are above, in A1944's posts #8 and #6.

14. David Briggs

David Briggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dave and E4+1 are on muiltiplex ARQ A. I can't see Winter Hill from here, but ARQ A is broadcast on UHF channel 45 from Sutton Coldfield. TalkingPictures and Yesterday are on ARQ B, which goes out on channel 39+ from Sutton Coldfield.

I hope that helps.

15. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    Thanks but I have been able to sort it with manual retune. All is well now again. Although I don’t have channel 7, which is regional Manchester channel. I don’t think I ever had that though.

16. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,445
    I’m having the same issue on Sutton Coldfield transmitter, lost a few HD channels from BBC 4 onwards on my Panasonic TV and Humax YouView box and also another Panasonic TV in another room, this is from a roof aerial which I normally have a good signal from.

Tried retuning the Humax and now all those channels have disappeared completely and it jumps from 105 to 200+ :(

17. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    Try a manual return. Worked for me. You would just have to call the help line and get the numbers for your area first. Hope you get it sorted.

18. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,445
    Thanks for the reply, Not sure there is a manual tune option on the Youview box but I sorted it earlier by doing another retune and the channels came back but the signal doesn't seem to be the best on those 2 multiplexes, most show 100% but they kept fluctuating between 0 - 80% maybe due to the weather earlier ?

19. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +657
    I’m glad to hear you got them back, regardless
    of how it happened.

20. David Briggs

David Briggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My windowsill signal booster brought back channels 55 and 56 and they are typically running at 95 - 100%. However, they are dropping right down to zero from time to time. This causes a glitch in the programme, of course.

I'm not sure that this is anything to do with people moving around the room or even trucks passing outside. Dropping to zero sounds to me like there's a fault in the booster. It's a One For All SV9125.

21. David Briggs

David Briggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right, plan B was to get a new aerial and replace one of the old ones in the loft, both of which were giving three dots on my signal detector. I got a
    Nikkai Wideband Outdoor TV Aerial from Maplin's but it took a few days to put together and stick up in the loft. That gave two dots on the detector when I was aiming it in roughly the same direction as the others, but it was OK with the upstairs SD TV, with something like 83% compared with 85% on the old aerial. I reconnected the main LG HD TV feed this morning. Had to go up in the loft to cut into the old cable, but I was well wrapped-up against the freezing wind.

Anyway, the signal is more even, with 90% or more on the main channels. Both 55 and 56 are giving me about 80% but the signal appears more consistent with no drop-outs as with the booster.

Looking good so far. It will get more complicated if I need to do something for the other TVs, but maybe a mast booster/splitter would do for them, what with the size of this aerial, I'm not sure there's room for two of them in the loft!