Some From Today

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went along to Blists Hill Victorian Museum today with a few photographers from the Shropshire Community Flickr Group.

This was a meet that I had arranged for here but as time went on and it being a Bank Holiday weekend numbers dwindled and it was decided to postpone it. I think after today's experience it is one to definitely re-arrange.

I had it in my mind that I wanted to take some 'situational' portraits as they are all the rage in club competitions and exhibitions at the moment so that was my focus today and I took little else to be honest.

I found that the people there who were fully dressed in Victorian clothes were more than happy to pose for me so it was a great confidence boost to know that people would be happy to be in photographs..........anyway, here are the first three

The Candle Maker

Victorian Couple

and my favorite of the day:

The Bank Manager

The indoor shots were ISO-3200 as I wanted to retain some depth of field, I would have had no chance with the 350D so to have extended ISO on the 5D was an absolute God send.

Comments welcome.

What a brilliant photo opportunity, and taken full advantage of:smashin:

Steve, i believe that that museum is going to be extended/refurbed

The Victorian Lady looks grumpy enough to have been brought there in a time machine & the bank manager looks mean & therefore is perfect for the job. As for the photo's my eyes are still crossed from my 3D photo's, so I'm seeing 2 of everything. :D

What a brilliant photo opportunity, and taken full advantage of:smashin:

Steve, i believe that that museum is going to be extended/refurbed

Yep, the work seems to be going on at the moment, it will be superb when it's done. Bought myself and Lorna a years pass today so we will definitely be back!!

The Victorian Lady looks grumpy enough to have been brought there in a time machine & the bank manager looks mean & therefore is perfect for the job.

That's what was brilliant, they posed in character so it just makes the pictures so much more relevant. I have some more to process so will get them up in the next few days........uploading some more as I type :D

Hello there

I think this would off been right up my street, love doing these sort of portraits.

Very nicely done Steve, the expression on the woman in the Victorian Couple class.

One question, was you allowed to use flash in there?

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

One question, was you allowed to use flash in there?

Yep, no problem at all :smashin:

A couple more. They had a massive steam driven press there on which they did a demonstration of how they used to roll the steel years ago.

The molten metal was taken from the furnace

Metal Workers

and then pressed by a massive steam driven press that shook the ground. I wanted to catch the point at which the press hit the metal to catch the sparks and managed it after a couple of attempts.

Pressed

Great shots steve - really like the first set of portraits, the first one is excellent.

Thanks both. It was a bit of a portrait day for me which is really strange as it's not my usual thing but I really enjoyed the interaction with these people :)

Nice set Steve - looks an interesting place.

Steve, great shots especially the portraits. The subjects look very 'authentic', I reckon they would all look great with a B&W conversion. Well done.

Great set :smashin:

Really like The Candle Maker, for me it looks better in colour - a nice "warm" shot that really fits the theme (IMO) :)

Some more that I have processed tonight

The Steam Engine Driver

The Sweet Shop Owner

The Dress Maker

I said it was a bit of a portrait day and I wasn't kidding was I :D

Anyway, further comments welcomed :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom