Some from my break in Wales - 56k Disaster!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by stevegreen, Aug 27, 2006.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Spent the last week in a little place called Morfa Nefyn on the Llyn peninsula.

Just sharing a few pictures. More on my Flickr linked below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,598
    Very nice Steve especially the bar shot, expect we'll see quite a few more of those :smoke: :beer: :zonked:

Where abouts in Wales were you?

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338

4. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Some beautiful landscapes there Steve :thumbsup:
    I've only ever been to the Llyn peninsula once and that was to Pwllheli butlins when I was a kid :D . Can't remember much of it but it looks a lovely area from your pics. I know it's not exactly on the Llyn but did you visit Portmeirion while you was there? I've seen some cracking pictures of it and would love to go there some day.

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Great shots Steve. what lens(s) did you take?
    I have also just got back from a week in wales. we were in Trecco Bay, Porthcawl.
    Took around 450 pics in RAW so havent got any to post yet but ill post a few when ive sorted them out.
    Pretty crap weather most of the time byt still managed to get sun burnt:mad: Just cant win:rolleyes:

6. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Not all the pictures were taken in Morfa Nefyn.

The first was taken at the beach called Hells Mouth. I actually took two of this as in the first one I realised there was an empty plastic bottle resting against the base of the post.

The second is a view over the peninsula of Morfa Nefyn itself. There is a golf course running right to the end of the land.....the golf course looked damn hard to be honest. I took my clubs but the £35 a round charge put me off!!

The third was taken from the church graveyard at Aberdaron. There is another on my Flickr which I deasturated. It rained heavily about 10minutes after that picture was taken.

Can't recall the name of the place that the fourth was taken, I drove past and had to turn back after realising that it would look lovely in black and white. My mom thought I was mad :laugh:

The fith one was taken outside shop in Abersoch. It was raining there too so I had to wait for the doorway to clear before I could take the picture. Felt a bit daft stading in the doorway with my camera primed.

The remainder are all from Morfa Nefyn, various views of the beach and of course, the Ty Coch pub......right on the beach.....bargain!

7. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    We went to Portmerion on Friday and I have to say I was disappointed. I have been there once before but I'm too old to remember it now. I have a few pictures from there so I'll add them to the thread in a while when i've sorted through them. Not many good ones though cos the weather was crap.

I took all three of my lenses (10-20 Sigma, 18-200 Sigma and 50mm Canon) but never got the 50mm out to be honest. I was very hesitant to be changing lenses on the beach but I managed to do it without getting a load of dust into the sensor.

I got burnt too, despite the rain. It only takes one decent day these days :(

Looking forward to seeing your pictures :smashin:

8. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,598
    Errr thanks Messiah :oops: :laugh:

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    You're welcome :hiya: :thumbsup:

10. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Some from Portmerion.

As I said earlier the weather was not good and all of the pictures would have looked much better with a nice blue sky instead of all the blown out horribleness that I have managed to capture so skillfully :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a wedding on there the day we went.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I liked this one.........what you lookin at??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    The weather may have been a bit poor but they're still good pictures :smashin: . Portmeirion must be really colourful on a nice sunny day.
    The weather has been crap with us for most of this month. On the odd occasion it's been sunny, I've been working so haven't had any time to get out and about to take some pics myself. I've recently bought the Canon 10-22 but still haven't had the chance to use it proper. Hopefully tomorrow, weather permitting :)

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Steve,

Missed these.

Nice work - glad you had a good time.

I concur on the sky thing. UK weather is so pants. When I was travelling through OZ, every shot came out great due to lush blue skies.

One tip which I am sure you are aware of its to meter from either grass or concrete (siad to be 18% grey) and lock your exposure with the button on the camera marked * then shoot as this helps with skies big time but not always.

Pete.

13. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Some excellent shots there steve. I especially love the b&w petrol station - you were right to turn back! I also like the 1st shot "999" and the "balls" photo which certainly made me :D

That's a really useful tip Pete that I didn't know about - thanks!

14. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    No worries. The * icon will appear in your view finder too. Of course ap and speed + ISO come into effect but its a good quick fix for skies - case in point, todays Severn Beach stuff. You can also spot off things but requires a keen eye and practice as can blow out other parts or reduce other parts of the shoot, but practice is perfect.

15. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Pete
    thats a good tip. im sure i read it in bryan petersons book but forgot all about it.
    ill bear it in mind next time im out.

Steve
    I was reluctant to change lens's on the beach as well but went ahead and i dont think i got any sand in the camera.
    This holiday was an eye opener for me as its the first real holiday i have taken my 350D and more thna one lens with me. and what a pain. im going to have to re think my lens collection yet again.
    I wanted to use my new 17-50 most of the time but found i was running out of reach a lot and so would put my Sigma 70-300 APO on, only to find after a few shots i would need the 17-50 again. I also had my canon 28-105USM MKII and that on its own would be fine if i didnt have the others. the one day i only took the 28-105 out i didnt worry about what lens i had on. I love that lens but i also want slightly wider, but also slightly longer:rolleyes:
    Im now thinking of getting rid of the 17-50 and maybe getting a canon 24-105L or Tamron 24-135 or god knows what. I think even the Sigma 17-70 might have been better for me.

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Ok, not wantng to hijack the thread i thought i would post a few of mine.
    Not really in the same league as Steves but im sort of happy with them.
    These first 4 are from Cardiff Bay. all shot RAW and no PP other than C1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These next few were taken around the Trecco Bay area. same as above. no PP other than C1.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know i really should get rid of some of the distractions using PSCS2 but i dont seem to be able to find the time these days.
    I must say that the 17-50 made all the difference to my shooting this holiday. im still thining of getting rid of the 17-50 and getting a Sigma 17-70. i thought i would use f/2.8 more but i find i tend to use f/3.2 - f/4.0 a lot more.
    By the way, not all these were taken with the 17-50.

17. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Don't know if there is something wrong with Smugmug at the moment dave but your shots are not showing up :(

I know exactly what you mean with the lens situation though. Luckily I used my 18-200 much of the time and only once thought that I needed something longer, that was when we spotted some sealions on the rocks below us when we were walking along the coastal path. But, having said that, the pixel count on the camera helped as I could crop the area out and still retain a fairly decent quality, could have done with having my monopod with me though in that particular instance.

I can see the quality advantages of having a lens with a smaller focal range, but, in my case the flexibility of the 18-200 coupled with the use of photoshop to add that extra bit of sharpness does me fine. It's a lot of hassle changing lenses so the less I have to do it the better.

I would have liked a faster lens too, but it's all a compromise based on cost, quality and convenience.