Some from last weekend.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Alun, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    I normally ride in Trials on a weekend, but I had been on nightshift and decided to just take along my camera and have my first bash at some action shots. Didnt get anywhere near enough shots as I didnt turn up till it was almost over (too tired you see!!)

Another bleak and wet Sunday morning did nothing for any colour that was present, but here we go.

I've done very little pp'ing to all of these, apart from some cropping and a little bit of level tweaking.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The full set can bee seen here

As always, C&C welcomed and appreciated

Cheers,

Alun

2. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Looks like you got a good bit of panning practice in.

A couple of pointers/idea's:

All the shots seem to be looking down on the riders which make you seem dominant. With this type of 'tough action' shot it can help to be looking up at the riders and bike's to give them more 'prowess'. Doin so may also include some of the landscape which could help add context to the image and often the places these events take place have some nice scenery.

Also do you have a flash? It may be worth experimenting with it to add more 'punch' to your images as they do look a tad flat. It will also help to sharpen up the bikes and riders a bit.

3. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Cheers Alasdair,

The only flash I have is the one on the camera :blush:

With it being my first time there with the camera, I wasnt sure how the riders would react to a flash.

Thats a nice idea about the POV, I'll try and get lower down next time, although I was higher up the hill than them:D

Iwould also liked to have got closer, but there was an awful lot of mud flying around..

Thanks for the tips:thumbsup:

Alun

4. alfienoakes

alfienoakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Well done on these. Particularly if it's first time with the camera.

I went out to trials meet for the first time on Sunday and found this a lot harder than it looks. I think I'm quite adept at shooting trackside, but in dreary conditions with lot of background objects, focussing is quite difficult. They can also be quite unpredictable, which makes life even more difficult.

I can understand why you didn't use flash. I felt it would be quite distracting for somebody attempting to manouvre a tricky section. That said there was tog with flash yesterday, he didn't seem to be too shy about using it either.

After reviewing my shots, I think the most important thing I learned was to try and keep the face in focus. There's many good expressions to be had.