Some Friendly Advice Please on pdp436sxe or Panny pv500

Always-hungry

Established Member
Reaction score
Having ordered but not paid paid for my Pioneer pdp436sxe im in a right pickle.

The screen will fit comfortably and im sure the mrs wont be happy but the Panasonic 37Pv500 would fit like a glove and the cabinet is the icing on the cake.

Im really confused though as some web sites state a HDMI socket and other don't.

My question is though, which is it (HDMI SOCKET OR NOT) and what would you guys do, take the heat and find the extra space or buy the panny for a quiet life.

I will be, well the kids will be watching Nick Junior on it and I will mostly be watching dvd's and some sky. I have the samsung HD950 dvd player and really regard picture quality through sky and dvd to be top of the list. :)

A big thanks for your time and advice.

Both are brilliant sets and both have hdmi but there is one fly in the ointment
allthough the pio shows three scarts , one hdmi and one component on the back panel you can only use three of them so I thinkk its a bit limited
the pannys inputs are all separate and you can use all of the all of the time.
With regards to picture quality there isn't a lot in it and the panny does look good on it's stand.

Always-hungry said:
Having ordered but not paid paid for my Pioneer pdp436sxe im in a right pickle.

The screen will fit comfortably and im sure the mrs wont be happy but the Panasonic 37Pv500 would fit like a glove and the cabinet is the icing on the cake.

Im really confused though as some web sites state a HDMI socket and other don't.

My question is though, which is it (HDMI SOCKET OR NOT) and what would you guys do, take the heat and find the extra space or buy the panny for a quiet life.

I was about to place an order for the PV500 - but have now decided having seen both side by side, that the Pioneer (it was the XDE model - but same panel) had a sharper picture.

I think overall, Id probably prefer to get the XDE model, purely because it does have extra inputs - and think I would eventually wall mount. (so friendlier in that event) Though obviously no good for you as its wider still with the speakers on the side!)

I note that JL now only stock the SDE - and as I want the 5 year warrenty, I'm probably going to go for that. I can get the PV500 for £1795 but plus whatever I mount it on - whereas the Pioneer, the cheapest so far Ive seen is £2112. £300 sobs dearer! I might hang on for a while longer, while it gets stocked everywhere - and hopefully get a better quote.

What prices have you got for those models?

Id probably prefer to get the XDE model, purely because it does have extra inputs
This is exactly what was posted above. And another recent thread. It may have a whole bunch of sockets on the back, but input 2 is scart OR component, input 3 is scart OR HDMI, you do not have as many inputs as you think. You can't use both scart and component on input 2 for instance.

MAW said:
This is exactly what was posted above. And another recent thread. It may have a whole bunch of sockets on the back, but input 2 is scart OR component, input 3 is scart OR HDMI, you do not have as many inputs as you think. You can't use both scart and component on input 2 for instance.

I was referring to the XDE not SXE - which has 2 HDMI for instance. Are you saying both HDMI cant be used?

You can use both, but not if you need 2 RGB scarts. And you can't use the VCR scart if you need component.

Can you just confirm my set up will work

SAMSUNG HD950 HDMI INTO AMP THEM HDMI INTO TV
SKY INTO RGB SCART
XBOX 360 INTO AMP THEN COMPONENT INTO TV

Will all this hook up??

Kind regards for all your reply's too.

That's OK, for sure. You've not got much kit. Add a PS2 and a dvd recorder and you'd be running into trouble without the external switching.

MAW said:
That's OK, for sure. You've not got much kit. Add a PS2 and a dvd recorder and you'd be running into trouble without the external switching.

So what would you recommend that has loads of connections?

Looks like the PV500 is being replaced by the THxxPX60 (xx being the screen size) Doing a search on the Panasonic Website shows nothing for these models.

www.avsales.co.uk and www.hispek.com both show the TH37PX60 as coming soon. The discernible differences being 4000:1 contrast ratio and 2 HDMI inputs.

I'm hanging on.......

guv69 said:
I was about to place an order for the PV500 - but have now decided having seen both side by side, that the Pioneer (it was the XDE model - but same panel) had a sharper picture.

I think overall, Id probably prefer to get the XDE model, purely because it does have extra inputs - and think I would eventually wall mount. (so friendlier in that event) Though obviously no good for you as its wider still with the speakers on the side!)

I note that JL now only stock the SDE - and as I want the 5 year warrenty, I'm probably going to go for that. I can get the PV500 for £1795 but plus whatever I mount it on - whereas the Pioneer, the cheapest so far Ive seen is £2112. £300 sobs dearer! I might hang on for a while longer, while it gets stocked everywhere - and hopefully get a better quote.

What prices have you got for those models?

I'm not prepared to let on who I work for.People on the forums might call 'foul'
but if you look on the various search engines that are available you may find that the firm I work for are more than competetive. We have stock , but make sure any quote includes delivery.

MAW said:

My Amp does switching, It's the Onkyo TX-SR803E - Nice :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help and advice, im going to stick with the pioneer and take the heat.

A fine amp indeed, what can I say? Got one myself. With all that switching you have no need of a XDE media box of course, for you it's just another box on the rack producing heat. Thought about saving a bit of dosh and having the SXE? Or a PHD panasonic?

Maw, what speakers do u use, i'm getting the TX-SR803E , and probably the svs5.1 speakers with the pb10 sub, just wondering whAt your opinion on the amp is as its quiet new and i havent heard from any1 who has it

sonance cinema.5 in wall at the front, bronze Gallo micros rear. Sub is MPS150. I'm pleased with the amp, it replaced a 801 I had before. being in the trade, my kit, apart from speakers, rarely stays a whole year.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom