some freetv through Sky Dish and LNB

kalli

Novice Member
Hey,

if I disconnect my Sky Q box (2 sat cables, all working, subscribed) and connect either of them to a hauppauge DVB-S2 and scan for channels, should I get to see any channels (dont care if free/encrypted). its just for a test.

background: my father uses linux only, but has to use windows only for watching Sattelite TV (not sky), i found a dongle that seems to work under linux, but when I use sky q cable and scan I cannot find anything.
I have a feeling the problem is rather that I'm testing with Sky dish, sattelite and LNB rather than the device
I dont want to move satellite dish or buy a new one for test. I just want to test if it can work in principle and send it to him

thanks for any help here. if consensus is: doesn't wqork with sky i can send it to him as otherwise all ok.
but if I should see channels (some encrypted, some free, etc) then I know something is wrong

Hauppaauge WinTV-NOVA-S2 Freesat DVB-S2 Satellite USB Receiver

Fred Smith

You need to change the LNB to a Sky Hybrid LNB, a Sky Q LNB is not suitable.

There are many posts on on the forum about this.

chenks

if I disconnect my Sky Q box (2 sat cables, all working, subscribed) and connect either of them to a hauppauge DVB-S2 and scan for channels, should I get to see any channels (dont care if free/encrypted). its just for a test.

no, the LNB you will have is not compatible with your non-sky box.

kalli

Novice Member
Hey guys - thx for that. I actually did google and search for the forum.
I'm not sure how I overlooked it.

logiciel

Good you found the forum!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom