Some Firestick 4k questions

ScottC25

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a few questions around a 4k fire stick that I can't figure out.

1. In the settings of the fire stick, there is a choice between adaptive or always HDR. When in adaptive, and I go into a 4k series on Prime, such as Bosch, the screen flashes up the notification that it is switching to HDR.
When I have it set to always HDR, when I start Bosch, it comes up with the Dolby Vision notification. Why is this and which is the better option?

2. Only have a 5.1 set up, but receiver is Atmos capable, is it still better to have the Atmos soundtrack rather than the 5.1 soundtrack? I am planning to add Atmos speakers quite soon.

3. In Amazon Prime via the fire stick, various programmes, eg Jack Ryan, used to output the Atmos soundtrack, but this no longer happens. Still getting Atmos from Disney + but not from Prime. Also Apple TV is the same, I know Netflix won't give Atmos via 4k stick, but Prime used to but doesn't any more? If I use the TV's built in apps, I can get the Atmos soundtrack, but it would be much easier to get it all via the fire stick, because I am controlling the whole system with a Harmony Hub and remote, and using the native TV apps, the harmony doesn't seem to have the function to get the TV to put Prime or Netflix on?

4. I only really have the fire stick for access to foreign sports channels from Canada that cannot be watched here, so if an Apple TV would give me Atmos from Appletv+ Disney, Prime and Netflix, then would definitely think about buying one of them, as it would also give me access to Apple Music as well?

Long winded, so thanks to anyone that can help with even some of this.

Hi all, I have a few questions around a 4k fire stick that I can't figure out.

1. In the settings of the fire stick, there is a choice between adaptive or always HDR. When in adaptive, and I go into a 4k series on Prime, such as Bosch, the screen flashes up the notification that it is switching to HDR.
When I have it set to always HDR, when I start Bosch, it comes up with the Dolby Vision notification. Why is this and which is the better option?

2. Only have a 5.1 set up, but receiver is Atmos capable, is it still better to have the Atmos soundtrack rather than the 5.1 soundtrack? I am planning to add Atmos speakers quite soon.

3. In Amazon Prime via the fire stick, various programmes, eg Jack Ryan, used to output the Atmos soundtrack, but this no longer happens. Still getting Atmos from Disney + but not from Prime. Also Apple TV is the same, I know Netflix won't give Atmos via 4k stick, but Prime used to but doesn't any more? If I use the TV's built in apps, I can get the Atmos soundtrack, but it would be much easier to get it all via the fire stick, because I am controlling the whole system with a Harmony Hub and remote, and using the native TV apps, the harmony doesn't seem to have the function to get the TV to put Prime or Netflix on?

4. I only really have the fire stick for access to foreign sports channels from Canada that cannot be watched here, so if an Apple TV would give me Atmos from Appletv+ Disney, Prime and Netflix, then would definitely think about buying one of them, as it would also give me access to Apple Music as well?

Long winded, so thanks to anyone that can help with even some of this.
Hi I've just checked and Jack Ryan still plays in dolby atmos season 1and 2 season 1 is in dolby vision and season 2 in HDR10 + Carnival Row is also in dolby atmos and HDR10+ Amazon don't have much atmos content or dolby vision but what they're got plays ok on my 4k firestick. What's got me confused is you say you haven't got any atmos speakers yet so you can't get atmos without the speakers and the avr won't detect it. I've got my HDR settings set to adaptive so its only in HRD when it detects it. If I where you I'd wait till you get a proper atmos setup and I'm sure atmos will work OK

Hi I've just checked and Jack Ryan still plays in dolby atmos season 1and 2 season 1 is in dolby vision and season 2 in HDR10 + Carnival Row is also in dolby atmos and HDR10+ Amazon don't have much atmos content or dolby vision but what they're got plays ok on my 4k firestick. What's got me confused is you say you haven't got any atmos speakers yet so you can't get atmos without the speakers and the avr won't detect it. I've got my HDR settings set to adaptive so its only in HRD when it detects it. If I where you I'd wait till you get a proper atmos setup and I'm sure atmos will work OK
The receiver still recognises and shows an Atmos soundtrack when its receiving it though.

Eg, on Jack Ryan it used to show up, and now it doesn't.

However if I use the Prime app on the TV rather than the fire stick, the receiver shows that its getting the Atmos soundtrack again.

Even without the Atmos speakers, I assume its still a better soundtrack than the DD 5.1

The receiver still recognises and shows an Atmos soundtrack when its receiving it though.

Eg, on Jack Ryan it used to show up, and now it doesn't.

However if I use the Prime app on the TV rather than the fire stick, the receiver shows that its getting the Atmos soundtrack again.

Even without the Atmos speakers, I assume its still a better soundtrack than the DD 5.1
Sounds strange I was under the impression that if you didn't have atmos speakers the avr wouldn't recognise a atmos sound track it won't play an atmos track because you haven't got atmos speakers your just getting 5.1 the atmos track just goes to the atmos speakers which you haven't got

Not sure about that, but AVR is definitely picking up that its getting an Atmos track, as its saying so on the display, across various places.

Disney + on firestick
Netflix and Prime on the native TV apps

Have my 4k Firestick connected to a Sony XF9005 TV.
All channels work fine except ITV Hub which plays catch up fine but when i try to play live content i just get a blank screen. Anyone else having this issue?

Sounds strange I was under the impression that if you didn't have atmos speakers the avr wouldn't recognise a atmos sound track it won't play an atmos track because you haven't got atmos speakers your just getting 5.1 the atmos track just goes to the atmos speakers which you haven't got
In terms of identification, I have an Anthem processor configured for 5.1. Yet the front display still lists Atmos as the incoming signal some of the time and TruHD at others.

Like you say I assume it just ignores the metadata and plays the base 5.1 and mixes the surround backs into the surround rears if it is a 7.1 track.

I have had this with Denon and Yamaha receivers in the past with one calling it Atmos and the other Tru. Either way none of the receivers can do anything with the metadata if the Atmos speakers are not present.

For me Disney + only shows 5.1, how do I get access to the atmosphere too?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom