Some DIY advice for TV mounted on Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by 5to1, Aug 21, 2013.

1. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    I bought my house as a derelict reposition 3 years ago. The build over ran by a few months, so I got everything but the eaves bedroom storage sorted, as I was under some pressure to get the builder to complete the rest before he scarpered. This obviously needed some carefull consideration so I thought it was better not to rush it and have to do it again.

The house was built as three storeys and there is only one very large bedroom and en-suite upstairs (essentially these two encompass the whole floor-plan of the house). I've already decided to use sliding doors accross the whole eaves on both sides, which will give me draw/shelf space on one side and junk storage on the other (as theres another half gable end there so the space is quite deep in half of it, which means I can push boxes etc right down).

The difficulty is where to put hanging storage :/. The run under the eaves is 5.5m, so I could put it a couple of meters there and the rest for shelves/draws. Coats obviously wouldnt fit, but I have storage in 3 other bedrooms for those. But I think it may get annoying having to stoop a bit to slide the rails out.

The picture attached is the gable end. The door to the right is access, the smaller door to the left is access to the boiler/megaflo. I've already run HDMI/COAX/CAT 6 to that TV (audio goes to the ceiling speakers so thats fine). Which means it will be a pain to switch the bed to this end and the TV elsewhere (ripping floor up, notching joists, extending CAT 6, getting baluns, etc). I should have run to both gable ends as true to sods law, I did it the wrong way around. The bed could have fit in between the doors, and the other gable end has no obstructions/doors, so the whole length could have been fitted out :(

I want to do something like this between the two doors, the shelving to fit above for display to it doesn't just look like an awkward box:

http://www.kleiderhaus.co.uk/resources/Furniture/loft/Loft Wardrobe 1.jpg

But I obviously have the complication of the TV and radiator. So I've been racking my brain and the best solution I can come up with is 900mm fixed stud on the right. Mount the TV and radiator on it, with some sort of fancy radiator in same dimensions as TV to give symmetry. 900mm wide sliding pocket doors on the left which go into that stud. I'd split them in half (IE one on top half of wardrobe, one on bottom, leaving me a channel for the TV wiring in between). I could then have a rail on the TOP and perhaps trouser rail on the bottom).

But what do I do with the space behind the stud for the TV/radiator? Essentially thats half the wardrobe. Do I have some door on the right hand side of the wardrobe for access? Bit awkward to use if someone walks in while youre accessing it and smacks the door in your face :(. I don't think it will be feasible to mount the TV on a sliding door also. I cant find any swing out mechanism for a rail which would allow me to access the space behind the TV/radiator.

I'm hoping a fresh perspective might help. Hopefully I havent confused everyone with my waffle, also I hope this is the right section, sorry if not mods.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Forgot to say, the other far simpler option is to simply fit a 900mm wardrobe to the left (adjacent to the boiler access door), then box shelf the rest (making all look like one unit). Then I could make a shelf for the TV, shelfs above for display and accommodate the radiator underneath somewhere :/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. Geps

Geps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm confused.

"900mm fixed stud on the right"

What's that? 900mm wide, tall? Fixed how? To what?

I can't work out how your picture matches up to what you're talking about....

4. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Sorry, I havent really explained my self well. I'll have another go :blush:

Ignoring the TV and radiator (behind the chest of draws) thats on that wall. I'd normally just fit a wardrobe to fit between the two doors, as pictured in my crude drawing :blush:

But the complication I have is the TV, as its going to be difficult to move, given the wiring comes from two stories down and is buried in the wall. I need a fixed 900mm wide place to mount the TV on. I cant see its going to be plausible to mount it one one of the sliding doors :/

The only way I can see it workings is to build the same structure:

2140mm Wide (to fit between the existing doors)
    600mm deep (standard wardrobe depth)
    2000mm high (to match the door on the right)

Then have half of it fixed (stud or in same material as doors) and mount the TV and radiator on that. Have the other side as two 450mm conventional doors, or a split 900mm sliding door (split in half top to bottom), which each slide into the fixed portion where the TV is mounted. I'd need to split them to give an easy channel for the wiring to the TV (although I could possibly extend the TV wiring to come over the top of the door when its in the open position and just have one door).

The problem is, what do I do with the space behind the TV side? It will be 2140x600x2000mm.

Hopefully it makes more sense :) I'm just trying to get a fresh opinion, as I feel I've got an idea in my head now and despite the complications, I keep thinking the same generally design. I need to think of a from scratch alternative.

PS the radiator can be moved, as I have another wall to which it wouldnt be hard to route pipes from the bathroom radiator on the other side.

Attached Files:

5. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Ok, I've attached another picture, once again sorry for my drawings, been doing them on the default MAC drawing App.

Ideally I wanted the TV on the right as it will be centered to the bed. But by moving it to the left it gives me access to the space behind (the door to the left is just to the boiler, so no one will walk in and smack you in the face). Also I can incorporate a pull out desk below.

Worst case I can mount the TV on a swing arm so it can be pointed to the bed.

Attached Files:

6. Geps

Geps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Right now we're getting somewhere. How good are your DIY skills?

I'm afraid I'm going to continue this thread's theme of crude drawings and difficult explanations.

As per your last drawing, but instead you have another door on the far left. What you then do is have the TV on a swing arm that is flush to the far right hand side of the wardrobe (black bit in my drawing). When you want to watch TV you can then swing it round in front of the wardrobe in the perfect position, whilst also not having to worry about wasted space or things being left in the doorway.

2nd picture as taken from above might make it easier to understand.

The recess in the middle bit is for the radiator. With vents underneath the wardrobe it'll allow for air flow to help it heat the room.

Attached Files:

7. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Thats exactly what I was looking for, a fresh perspective :smashin:

That would definately waste less space. The only problem is the depth would need to be 900mm to allow the TV to be stowed flush. But mounting it on a swing arm I could put it on the left. That way it could be angled to face the bed and stay in place (open position would cover the boiler access), and when I needed access to the boiler I could swing it infront of the wardrobe temporarily.

My DIY skills are probably not upto it. But I'd get a carpenter in to do the work. Just want to design it myself and source the materials. That way I only need to have a consult with the carpenter and pay his day rate to do the work.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. Geps

Geps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Hmmm.....how tall is the TV?

9. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    620mm Its a 37WLT56 (I think its a 56, been a several years since I bought it :))

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  10. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Well i'm heading in to fanciful territory now I think :blush:

I started to think if I'm going to have the TV on the left, why not remove the door to the boiler and put a door matching the wardrobe on the left, hang the TV on that. Everything would then look like one unit, but the door could be opened to allow access to the boiler.

From there I ended up with the idea of full shelving on the left, with a hidden type door, like number 8 in the following link:

10 Coolest Hidden Doors and Secret Passageways - Oddee.com (hidden doors)

I think any carpenter that takes that job on would charge an arm and a leg :/

Attached Files:

11. Geps

Geps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    If it were me, I'd stick to my original idea but have the TV stowed in the portrait position.

12. S D I

S D I
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Thought I'd throw an idea in.
    Based on what I've read so far you may consider this sort of layout and mount.

Perfect for lying in bed watching TV.

The front elevation I have based on your photo doesn't really demonstrate the exact look I have in mind, the other photo's do I hope.
    There's a couple on the bench in the workshop before installation.

I designed this mount and machine the cheeks for our jobs to avoid the awful look of metalwork and wiring when using a conventional bracket to mount TV's at this angle.

The mount is purely woodwork, no bracket required and finishes include
    gloss white or black laminate or bare HQ MDF when we want them to be painted IE. wall colour.

Although the pics feature Samsungs I've done other makes.
    The format makes relatively deep TV's (some of these are 52mm depth) look slim like LED models.

All food for thought, I'll talk you or your installer through the method if need be.

Hopefully you will post your final design however you decide to proceed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013