Some 'Currys' advice please!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by bluejmc2005, May 2, 2007.

1. bluejmc2005

bluejmc2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Hi all,

right, basically my LG 42PX5d plasma has been 'faulty' for 26 days now, and the engineer has just changed another part and the problem - red sparkles - remains.

I understand that once 28 days has passed I am entitled to a replacement, so i was wondering if any of you guys could tell me which 37" - 42" Plasma (or good lcd I guess) you would buy. I will have to pay whatever the extra is, but if their is a plasma in currys significantly better than the LG 42PX5D could someone let me know

thanks all in advance,

Jason

2. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hey? Most shops replace a faulty model WITHIN the first 28 days, and thereafter, it is repair only, unless to costly to repair. Check your warranty conditions for yours, but that's how it usually works.

3. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The so called 28 day rule does not exist in law. The major stores have done a good job in indoctrinating us to think that it is the law and that they can enforce it. They may describe it as their policy which is formulated to make the rights of the customer clear. However their policy cannot and does not override the law. In actual fact it appears to restrict the rights of the customer because when problems occur some folks actually believe in this 28 day nonsense and think, quite wrongly, that are not entitled to a refund.

You could still ask for either a refund or a replacement or even accept a repair (your choice not the store's) after 28 days if the product is faulty and is not fit for the purpose. If you choose a refund you can then buy what you like from where you like.

The stores also sometimes ask people to telephone the manufacturer to sort out problems. Your contract is with the store and not the manufacturer and you should not be expected to do their work for them. If this happens just tell the store to do the 'phoning.

4. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The sparklies are a problem with this LG unit from some of the posts I have read.

The unit is faulty & no matter what repair is carried out/board changed it will not stop the sparklies. If the engineer is a knowledgeable chap he himself should be aware of this & stop changing parts as this will apparently not solve the problem.

You have to tell Currys that this is an inherent fault & cannot be rectified. I would even go as far as to say that you have spoken to LG customer services who have confirmed this. If you say that you have read it on the AV Forums they probably wouldn't take you seriously ! :D

I read in a different post a forum member's very positive experience with a faulty LG plasma (he didn't have sparklies). He received very good service from both the retailer & LG. LG collected the TV, fixed it, returned it in the same cosmetic condition, ie, undamaged & then even telephoned the guy to ask if the service & repair had been to his satisfaction ! :thumbsup: And all of this was very swiftly done - took about 7 days or so.

Will post the thread if I can find it ;)

5. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
  6. bluejmc2005

bluejmc2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    well, I just had what I consder an extrememly positive experience of Currys customer service, and I am very pleased.

I got a ref. number from the tech department, went into the store with my receipt, and although they would not refund, they agreed to give me credit for the original purchase price.

so, to cut a long story short I will be taking delivery of a samsung LE40F71BX 1080p lcd tuesday!:thumbsup:

7. skinnymalinky

skinnymalinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Oh NO! you've reverted to the dark side! LCD!!:nono: :D

8. bluejmc2005

bluejmc2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    lol - the truth be known - although never ever repeat this in the lcd forums - is that had I been able to get a 1080p set and it be plasma i would have!

I nearly went for a pioneer 42", the picture was stunning even in currys, but the draw of 1080p and £300 excess pulled me to the backlit world...

9. KjK

KjK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    So what is this red sparkles, when does it appear ?

I have yet to see it in my LG 42PX5D but will keep a close eye out incase.

My set is 8months old so maybe it won't appear, I hope.

10. bluejmc2005

bluejmc2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    its like sparkles, especially noticiable on black backgrounds. we had them all the time but have gotten progressively worse.

also, watch out for audio issues via hdmi. apparantly the cable from the hdmi scoket to the speakers is not shielded correctly in some resulting in intermiten crackling. we had this, they replaced the cable and it fixed it.

great set though otherwise, and fantastic sound quality

11. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Reject the thing, as ut is obviously not fit for the purpose intended.
    Replacement, refund, alternative to same value are you legal entitlements.
    Don't settle for anything less - namely a refurb'd replacement.

12. bluejmc2005

bluejmc2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I didnt!

13. KjK

KjK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Shame with your set m8, ive been very happy with ours, no sparkles as of yet & as you say good sounding speakers which we use for general TV viewing & use the 5.1 Amp for watching movies. good black levels & features which is what sold me.

cheers