Some consumer advice please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by almightygoodgod, Jan 17, 2008.

1. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Hi guys, need a bit of advice

I went into town on Sunday to purchase my wedding rings for my self and the wife to be. I found a shop with a ring that I thought looked fantastic for me that was selling for £495 but was on promotion at £350! I thought, great, lets get it bought.

They told me that it was the only one they had but it was too sizes too big so they told me I had two options:

1 - buy the ring in my size ordered in at full price

or

2 - they would re size the ring free of charge so that I only paid the £350

At no point did they say that there might be a chance that the ring would not be able to be re sized, I was given the impression it was a forgone conclusion. So I paid, in full, on my credit card.

They called me today to tell me that now the ring cannot be resized and that I can either have a refund or pay the full price for the ring (£495). The woman they had ringing me was very direct and rude and kept raising her voice to me down the phone despite me actually remaining quite calm.

Do I have a leg to stand on?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,628
    It would be reasonable for them to come back and say the ring cannot be reduced in dize, so they have offered a refund. I would suspect you don't really have much of an option here but to accept your money back. (Unless you want to pay full price of course).

3. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    have had my girlfriend take a look at the receipt, it says size T on it. The ring they originally sold me was a size V which they were going to get resized to a size T. does this alter things?

the thing that is really getting my goat is that if there may have been a problem getting it resized they should really have told me should they not? they might not have had to legally but to be honest it is just common courtesy.

4. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    It's probably a case of the sales person not having any idea whether a ring can or cannot be resized and the jeweller who does the modifications had to tell them it wasn't possible for whatever reason.

It could be because of the shape, or the material (e.g. my engagement ring can't be resized because it's made of a composite of materials or something).

5. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    You have been offered a full refund, I cannot really see what else you can expect

Jon

6. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    cheers for that John, I didn't know what to expect hence me posting here asking for advice! if I already knew not to expect anything else I would not have posted on here in the first place.

Thanks to Jen and Squiffy for your (speedy!) help!

Just can't believe they are now going to charge me £495 for a ring in a size that according to my receipt they should already sold me for £350. Doubt they will even discipline the woman who sold it to me, probably give her extra commision.

7. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    good news! after a long chat with the manager they have agreed to provide a new ring in my size for the original price of £350!

8. kendoll

kendoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Congrats. Still going to push for the woman who sold it to you to be disciplined? :D

9. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    that would be a nice bonus!