Some channels upstairs, none downstairs

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Wickseyuk, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Wickseyuk

Wickseyuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all,

We have today moved into a brand new build property and the lounge and every bedroom has a wall plated TV aerial socket. The house is over 3 floors and has a roof top aerial. Our Samsung TV finds 49 channels (BBC 1&2 but not ITV or C4 though) on top floor. Middle floor finds 20 channels (no top channels ie: Dave & Gems TV) but lounge has none!

We are not experienced in these matters hence a request for opinions and recommendations.

Btw our property is near Horley, Surrey and Freeview website checker says we should be receiving all channels including HD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Are the aerial sockets connected to the aerial? Is there a distribution amplifier that is not switched on? From your description it appears the TV is picking up signals off the cables only, hence more channels the higher you go. Have you spoken to the builder or your solicitor?

3. Wickseyuk

Wickseyuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks, I presume the sockets go direct to the aerial. I don't know what a distribution amplifier is but will ask builders this on Monday. The way I thought it worked the TV signal comes in through aerial then gets sent through the cables to the sockets then just connect your TV. Is this what you mean by signals off cables?

4. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    A distribution amplifier is a box which connects by one cable to the aerial and then connects by individual cables to each socket without causing any significant loss of signal. It contains an amplifier to compensate.

In Horley you should be getting a good signal from Crystal Palace in London and probably from the lower powered transmitter on the top of Reigate Hill as well.

5. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Raise the matter with the builder as part of snagging process. However, as said above, it is likely that either..

there is a distribution amplifier somewhere that is not switched on or powered up (check the loft)

or you need to provide a power supply for the masthead amplifier

The system was probably provided and installed by a sub contractor and if you can find his name/number from the builder he will probably be able to advise

6. Wickseyuk

Wickseyuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your comments all. We will raise the points mentioned with the building firm and hopefully the amplifier is the cause of the problem which seems a quick fix as I don't want it to be dodgy wiring to the sockets which would lead to more aggro!

7. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Surely, even if it were to be dodgy wiring, the aggro is for them to sort out. Presumably they were contracted to provide a working TV aerial system and that is what they should do, whatever the problem may be. Anyway, best of luck with it tomorrow.

8. Max Skylon

Max Skylon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did you get to speak with your builder on Monday? What was the outcome?

9. Wickseyuk

Wickseyuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Max I did. In my foolish assumption I thought a new build house (with everything integrated!) would come with at least a basic TV aerial on the roof but no. Therefore the channels I guess that I was picking up in different rooms must of been the TV doing the donkey work - its a Samsung so (assuming again) that has a Freeview connector. Anyway the housebuilder advises that we get an installer in to get us going down the route of traditional aerial TV - upon further socket inspection however they have integrated some satellite points in the lounge so a bit of research has meant we've now purchased Sky on a very good £22 per month deal. We only have one TV so in the future if we want more then it's get the aerial done then or lump out for Sky multiroom. Thanks everyone for your comments.

10. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    That's sad. Did your research uncover the fact that 4 months Sky subs would cover the cost of an aerial installation? Did you find out about Freesat?

All is not lost. Sky usually has a cooling off period. Dump them and get a Freesat box.

11. Max Skylon

Max Skylon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it usual for new build houses not to have a basic roof aerial fitted as standard? What do the builders do with the installed cables, just terminate them in the loft?

12. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Yes, quite usual. Builders know little about aerials so even if they are supplied they are often poor or incorrect. Some new builds near here had baco foil type aerials fitted horizontally even though the local transmitter, Ventnor, uses vertical polorisation. Even if only cables are fitted they are often poorly screened standard type rather than double screened type now recommended.

13. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    My experience of new-build houses is that they are not even terminated in the loft... other than in the literal sense.
    Those I have encountered have simply been cable ends free flying in the loft. - Going down to outlet sockets but not connected to anything at the top end.

14. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    All of which indicates why the choice of calling in Sky at a fixed price might not be the way to go