Some channels not working - Info please

chaz206

Hey people, got a kdl 32" series sony tv and me and the old man connected up a aerial he had lying around (was new in the box i think lol), anyway everything works fine apart from a few channels

Basically channel 4 and 5 don't work properly or sometimes at all, e4 doesnt work but e4+1 works fine

Tried the reset and search of channels again but still nothing,
anything i could try people?

cheers

kjhskj75

Novice Member
1) Do you see channels with numbers in the 800s ?

2) Can you give us some idea of your location ?

3) What kind of aerial are you using ? Is it a small set-top, or a big one on the roof ?

chaz206

1) Do you see channels with numbers in the 800s ?

2) Can you give us some idea of your location ?

3) What kind of aerial are you using ? Is it a small set-top, or a big one on the roof ?

1) I'll check and get back to you lol

2) west london, hounslow, middlesex

3) its a big (ish) one in the loft facing toward the nearest tower (i think in my area its crystal palace)

kjhskj75

Novice Member
I suspect that your problem is weak signal. Repositioning the aerial (i.e. putting it on top of rather than inside the roof may help. Things will improve after digital switchover (18th April) - so you may choose to live with it until then. Presumably you are getting the analogue channels OK ?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
ITV1/C4/C5 are on the lowest frequency ch22 multiplex. ITV analogue is on ch23 and I'll bet it's a poor picture (snowy).

Has anything changed in your loft or a neighbours' recently (loft extension, solar panels fitted, scaffolding up to repair a roof) - especially between the aerial and Crystal Palace - but even in another direction but near).

Double-check all cables and connections are clean, undamaged (no sharp kinks), and properly made (no whiskers of outer near the centre conductor.

Consider relocating the antenna in the loft: higher/lower, crabbed left/right and nearer to/further from the transmitter in a 'cube of space' with 1 metre (3 foot) sides; moving the aerial a little at a time. This may find a 'sweet spot' for that frequency but at the expense of another, in which case try again until all seem to be 'optimal'.

An aerial amplifier may also help, until DSO, as near to the aerial as possible.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom