Some B&W conversions RIA

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
I thought I would take some of favourite shots from my recent trip to Thailand and convert them to B&W.

I am still very uncertain about B&W conversions so any comments will be welcome.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

Click on a pic for large!

shotokan101

Banned
Number 5 is a belter IMO John and the first shot works well for me too but I think that the others though interesting enough don't work as well for me as I still remember them in colour and the subject matter was very colourful and memorable and they worked very well in colour.

Jim

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Number 5 is a belter IMO John and the first shot works well for me too but I think that the others though interesting enough don't work as well for me as I still remember them in colour and the subject matter was very colourful and memorable and they worked very well in colour.

Jim

Thanks mate, you have summed up my feelings about B&W - if it works well in colour, why bother?

shotokan101

Banned
That's what I've come around to as well John - as you know I only dipped my toe in attempting to salvage soe stuff that didn't work that well for me in colour and I thin k that can be successful on occasion but really "stand out" B&W conversions I think need to be "planned" for at the shooting stage with careful subject and composition choice.

It's always worth a quick mono-check in LR or whatever though but a good colour shot is always a good colour shot.

To be fair I do think I'd have been a lot more "positive" in my initial feedback if I hadn't seen your earlier colour work - and of course the very name "Thailand" conjours up colourful exotic images - for me at least - anyway just a "Barbados" or "China" would - but (oddly?) "Japan" makes me think b&W would work - go figure eh ? :facepalm:

Jim

JSW

I think 5 is a bit flat a bit more pp would improve it

1 is almost there I think

2 I would spend some time on potential to be the best of them :smashin:

4 isn't far off either and I quite like it

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
but (oddly?) "Japan" makes me think b&W would work - go figure eh ? :facepalm:

Jim

Strange thing is Japan makes me think of the lights of Ginza district, the cherry blossom, snowcapped mount Fuji against a striking blue sky....anything but B&W ;)

I think 5 is a bit flat a bit more pp would improve it

1 is almost there I think

2 I would spend some time on potential to be the best of them :smashin:

4 isn't far off either and I quite like it

i think B&W looks good on 1, 2 and 5. Increasing contrast might make some of them a bit less flat maybe,

Thanks both - I did actually boost the contrast on these, but I felt that if it was boosted more the shots looked less natural :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom