1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Auralex Piccies / Review

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by pringtef, Apr 18, 2005.

1. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'd decided that i wasn't getting the best from my hi fi with the conditions of my living room. So, after a good bit of research, and the use of their free room analysis service I'd decided to plump for Auralex kit. With my living room being a decent size, (~ 20' x 11') decided to go for the Roominators D240xi-DST kit.

[​IMG]

Was delighted to find out on Friday that rather than the three weeks or so i thought it would take for my Auralex kit to arrive from the US, it was going to be delivered just four working days after ordering.

Five exceedingly large boxes (two big enough that you can lie in) arrived this afternoon, and i've managed to get them unpacked.

Here's a few piccies, I'll update as things go along, waiting for some other kit arriving before beginning the process of affixing it to the walls and ceiling.

Initial sound tests so far are very good indeed.

Just unpacked
    [​IMG]

Rear view
    [​IMG]

Getting a bit tidier
    [​IMG]

Gramma
    [​IMG]

Mopads
    [​IMG]

Lenrds
    [​IMG]

T'Fusor
    [​IMG]

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Nice kit, i definately prefer the skyline that i sell to the T'fusor though, sorry!

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Do you think you have bought enough ? :D

Mark.

4. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hey it's your cables that started the ball rolling mate! Believe the thought process was along these lines .......

".......hmmmmm, if i can notice such a difference just by using these cables, what would it be like if i................."

{reaches for Sainsbury's 12 month IFC intro offer Visa)

I'm kicking the fireplace into touch sometime soon, and the ceiling still needs to be done as well, so think it will work out just about right.

5. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    A bit more work has been carried out now. All but finished the border (purple!) that covers the cornice. Was a bit concerned with this initially, as it was difficult to keep it completely straight, and without a slightly uneven surface. But it's not so noticeable when other items are attached it.

Bass traps at the front affixed to the wall
    [​IMG]

Have mounted some of the diffusors
    [​IMG]

Cornice border, bass traps, and fills attached at the front
    [​IMG]

Cornice Border and Diffusors mounted
    [​IMG]

Mounted two diffusors on the ceiling (yes, definately need to straighten up the one on the left!)
    [​IMG]

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    How did you know where to attach the diffusers?

Gary.

7. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'd filled out their room analysis form, and Terry Hayes @ Auralex provided me with a diagram with recommendations.

Finished putting them all up last night, twelve in total in the room. Starting to look like the inside of the millenium falcon at the moment!

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Room analysis form? That sounds like a good idea and probably the only way most customers know where to put the stuff!!

Gary.

9. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Was certainly one of the things that attracted me to their products. It's a two page document you fill out, the first with information such as purpose of room, sizes, surfaces, noticed acoustic issues etc. The second page is where you put a diagram of your listening room.

About a week after sending it, Terry emailed a PDF that contained a diagram of optimal positioning, two pages detailing placement, and product recommendations.

10. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    we offer a similar service, email us the room size and issues your having, we email back placement of products/recommendations...

11. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Okay, bit of an update, this is taking a LOT longer than i thought it would!

[​IMG]
    Front

[​IMG]
    Rear

[​IMG]
    Side

12. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Are you really happy with the look of all this on what I thought was a rather nice looking living room :confused: Don't get me wrong I use Auralex products and they work really well, but mines relagated to my dedicated room :)

13. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    That's your living room :eek: :eek: Do you have a partner? And if so, how do they feel about this?

Dont get me wrong, I am sure the benefits will be amazing but I would be skinned alive by my Wife if I tried to put any of that in our living room.

14. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    It's very much still work in progress, and after that the living room is definately going to need a clean up!

But i've got a plan in mind for the finished article though which i'm hoping to get closer to this weekend.

15. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    On my tod at the mo, and any female visitors to the flat usually spend more time in the bedroom.

:D

16. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    ahh you stud-muffin you!

17. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :rotfl: Didn't say how many of them i manage to get in the flat though! I call it the Smirnoff Situation........

Did a bit more of the room last night. Going to try and make a concerted effort to get this finished at the weekend. Once it's finished i'll actually be able to write how it sounds!

18. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well, just about finished now. Bit more cleaning and filling up to do, and some trunking for the rear speakers to be laid, but on the whole that's it finished now.

Decided that fireplace didn't really fit in with the room, so I've ripped it out.

I'll post some thoughts on the difference it's made a bit later today, breakfast calls!

Some pics :-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    That looks much better now its tidy.

Looks a bit like the Captains cabin on a Cyborg space ship !

Must sound much better though !

Mark.

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Can I ask how much that lot was?

Would it not have been better to upgrade to a processor with room correction?

21. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Gizlaroc, cost around £1100 after import duty and VAT, which worked out about £500 less than the cheapest i could find in the UK for the same Auralex kit.

I had read a bit about systems with room correction, but rightly or wrongly i just couldn't shake of the idea that using one these would be changing the sound from the original way it was meant to sound. Additionally, I'm pretty fixed on Arcam kit, and (again, rightly or wrongly), it would be unlikely that i would have added another component that was not made by them.

22. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Just wanted to add a footnote to this thread with my thoughts on the difference the acoustic treatment has made to both music and movies.

Two of the first acoustic differences i noticed happened without playing any music at all. The first occurred as i was unpacking the boxes. As i took more and more out, there was a tangible change in the background noise of the room. At first it was down right freaky, to be honest. Over the period of unpacking, the room had gone from almost being an echo chamber to having a strange stillness about it.

The second occasion was when i accidentally knocked a glass of water over. The noise made as it broke was incredible, it was so sharp! If it wasn't for the fact that it really isn't a good thing to intentionally break glass drinking vessels, and the potential for cutting myself, i think i would actually have gone through to the kitchen and took some more through to break!

After getting the kit all setup, it's been nothing short of a revelation. It's like i've been given completely new hi fi kit. The effect this has made is such that i've revisited my entire cd collection since installing this kit.

Bass is now very tight, there exists a level of separation that was never there, and treble can really "sting". The soundstage is incredible, and locating the position of individual instruments and vocals is a doddle.

Listening to "The Tourist", final track on Radiohead's CD, OK Computer, highlighted the additional level of separatation that now exists. Previously i'd thought that there was just the one vocal track,Yorke's singing with echo, but I can now clearly hear Yorke's additional background vocals.

One thing i didn't expect was the level of difference it has made to surround sound. After installing the material, i had to completely recalibrate the rear speakers, as they now sounded far too lound. After doing this, there is now a sharpness and spaciousness i can hear that was never there before.

The Eagles' Hell Freezes Over DVD now really feels as though I'm part of the crowd, and i can often quite easily pick out things people in the crowd are saying to one another. Vocals are dead centre, and you can almost feel the treble "sting" from some of the guitar work.

On the PC, Half Life 2 is now scary. There's pinpoint placement of sounds in front and behind, and the sound effects themselves are very realistic.

Movies have been taken to a completely new level. The difference in sound made Fight Club became even more of a dark movie than it was, and the bit where the plane crashes, which previously was just a boom in the room, caused more than a few of us to jump of our seats!

It's like i've been living with a miniscule of what i could get out of my system up until i did this upgrade. And for the first time, the system sounds as good , if not better, then when i demoed it in the audition room at my local hi fi dealers.

Can't recommend it enough.

23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Glad it has improved your set up! :)

24. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    if people are interested in room treatments, dont forget to check the Power Buys!!!!

25. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

A couple of questions if I may.Do Auralex allow you buy direct from them even though they have a UK distributer?How did you pay them?I would like to try some treatment too as my room here in Spain is very hard and reflective,which creates massive bass problems.

Secondly,did you really need so much of it?I would like really only like to do directly behind my speakers,and the corners using two lenred bass traps,but on stands,not fixed to the wall.

Thanks for answering.

26. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I didn't purchase from Auralex directly, just browsed round the web, and ordered from one of their suppliers in the US that offered international delivery. Don't have the name of them to hand.

As far as for the quantity, not sure! I'd suggest maybe taking a look here to see how other people have used the stuff. Another option is to filling out Auralex's room analysis form, quoting your budget, and they'll fit their recommendations around that.

27. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Sorry to mention it again, but dont forget to check the powerbuys for acoustic treatments, i know they are not the specific brand thats been asked for, but the products are designed for the same uses. The offers are all still there, you just need to view further back then 7 days....

28. patco

patco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you happy with the appearance of the white "diffusors"? I would need to divorce before before installing such things in my home :D

29. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    They're definately don't seem to be wench friendly, i'll say that!

I quite like them. They remind me of the interior of the millenium falcon for some bizarre reason, and add to the "bespoke" nature of the room.

Sound ruddy good too!

30. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    If your room is hard surfaced and reflective, bass problems are the least of your worries. Those surfaces are playing havoc with your mid and treble responses. Your bass problem is a function of your room's dimensions and in situ furniture that doesn't absorb those low frequencies - which most does, not even sofas.

You're going to need to look at adsoption and diffusion products on the front, side, rear walls and ceiling, and rugs on the floor. You should also look at absorbers at the room corners and ceiling/wall interface.
    Then, and only then, can you turn your attention to the bass - it could be reduced by moving the speakers forward into the room, or using basstraps in the 4 corners.

I used RPG's products to great effect, and like all acoustic companies, they will probably be willing to help you if you submit a room plan and dimensions.

As per above, if you aim to spend €1500-2000, you'll get more in return than if you spent the same on a new component, and once done, that's pretty much it. Any new components tried out will show their true merit and help making your decision more easily.