1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some answers from a tosh engi about who8 series

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by 2shy, Jul 10, 2001.

1. 2shy

2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine works at toshiba hq at leads, so I asked him to ask one of the techies there to answer a question which has been buggin me 4 ages; 100hz or Natural scan? I also wanted to know if they ever revise the sets if problems occur.

He reckons that Natural Scan is the way to go, because what happens is, whenever there is any panning, it goes to 100hz to reduce smearing / laggin etc.. Pannin stops, it goes to Natural, if its selected. He reckoned that the set was the greatest 100hz set he had seen, with all but no artifacts.

As for the actual set, he reckons its identical to the american equivalents, except for the motherboard etc.

He also recomended component over RGB, as he reckoned the sets been designed to get maximum quality from it.

Oh BTW, u can c the swapping from 100hz to natural by lookin at the sky digital onscreen banner. When the image is still, its ultra stable, but whenever there is pannin, its starts to wobble a bit, like when u select 100hz.

Regarding the revisions, he reckoned this happens all the time. He said that early on, the sets were prone to red and green blobs appearing, severe brightness fluctuations when using high quality sources, and drifting convergence, which have all been fixed now. Many of the internal components also change from batch to batch.

He also warned that getting a good set delivered is a bit of a lottery; no 2 sets r the same. Some can be perfect and some can be awful. Just check for focus accross the entire screen, check geomtry (if u cannot get the convergence right no matter how hard u try, then its geometry probs) and obvioulsy check the build.

Well there u have it, hope this helps some ppl who, like me, was unsure of which settin to pick.

Anyother questions 4 him? I might be able to get him 2 answer a few more, but obvioulsy please dont ask me to give his e-mail address! :cool:

2. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks 2shy,
    Could u ask your friend if the new 42" rptv has any real picture improvements over the wh8ob range? I know it has integrated digital tuner, but it may be just a restyled wh with a set top box added... if it is, I'll have to judge whether the extra 2" justifies the price difference, particularly since discounts on the existing tv will surely follow the launch of the new range. :D
    Is there any way of telling whether the tv u get is one of the later ones with all the revisions? :confused:

3. 2shy

2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will do me best. I personaly think you should go for the 46who8 or even the 56, they r so cheap; I got my 56 inch for only 2 grand, and the support was excellent (they let me exchange my 1st set as it had slight focus problems). These are the best sets you can buy.

About the revisions, he reckons there is no easy way to tell, without ripping circuit boards out.