Some Amazon Prime videos don’t play UHD / HDR?

Recall

Some UHD titles only HD - Reacher / Upload

Not sure what is happening, was working previously. I have test both Reacher and Upload and neither are playing in UHD HDR.

Tested on my new LG C1 and my Roku 4K Streaming stick plus. Not all titles are affected, for example no issue with Good Omens and James May Oh Cook.

My internet speed is the same around 72mbps as is consistent.

Anyone else have an issue?

Martin00

Same problem on my LG C1 aswell , Outer Range doesn't play in UHD HDR either.

Last edited:

neilka

Same problem on an LG CX/PS5/Chromecast. It probably goes without saying but trying to engage Amazon support on the matter is an exercise in frustration as they just reel off the completely generic troubleshooting steps, as if this isn't a problem affecting everyone.

KBD

Last week Outer Range was HD on episodes 1 & 2, but this week it's all HD as far as I can tell.
I went through a few programs trying to find UHD yesterday & finally landed on Jack Ryan.

I'm not sure what's going on, but it doesn't seem to matter which device you're using or how fast your internet is, just not working for most UHD programs.

JaylumX

Standard Member
I am so glad I am not the only one experiencing this. I thought that something was up with my display as I only got its last week. Could have sworn that Outer range was in HDR.

Nic1983

Novice Member
Same for me on an LG CX. Not sure if it's an issue for LG or Amazon to fix. Does seem to be only issue on LG TVs so presumably an LG issue.

KBD

Does seem to be only issue on LG TVs so presumably an LG issue.
I thought that initially, but even from Amazon's own UHD FireStick the symptom are the same.
I tried several devices last week, all were the same.

HAM5ter84

I tried Reacher and Outer Range. They are labeled as UHD HDR, but all HD and non HDR for Outer Range and Reacher. Seems to be hit and miss with HDR10+ triggered on some episodes. Very odd. On a Philips 43pus8536.

JaylumX

Standard Member
I let them know about the issue through feedback. Hopefully more people will point it out so that they can investigate.

HAM5ter84

Hi, just to add to the list on Philips 43pus8536. It has Ten Percent - the new comedy they are peddling hard as UHD and HDR with label. But, whole series is being shown in Hd when the episode loads. Not sure if a recent app update has killed something, but very strange.

HAM5ter84

Can confirm must be an Amazon side thing as the app even reversed to factory image version (5.7.4+v14.0.0.130-armv7a) has some episode correctly coming up as HDR 10+ and others flag as it and coming up in HD only.

neilka

It's pretty incredible really, this is at least the fourth day of no UHD or HDR being available for anyone on any of Amazon's flagship content. And it's much harder to miss than with Netflix because of the UHD/HDR icons that should be onscreen during the stream but aren't. You might imagine that a two trillion dollar company would be employing someone to keep an eye on things like this.

HAM5ter84

It's pretty incredible really, this is at least the fourth day of no UHD or HDR being available for anyone on any of Amazon's flagship content. And it's much harder to miss than with Netflix because of the UHD/HDR icons that should be onscreen during the stream but aren't. You might imagine that a two trillion dollar company would be employing someone to keep an eye on things like this.
I know, it is pretty bad. Have dropped an email to the app developer team listed email on Google play store for Android TV.

Listed all the shows that I did check and films that did or didn't work. Plus app versions tested. It's weird some ep are affected and some not. Like some sort of job to refresh apps tags has gone wrong, but hasn't reached certain files yet.

Recommend doing the same. More info the app team gets the easier it will be for them to flag what episodes and shows and identify the culprit.

HAM5ter84

For those interested. Not sure if this combo will work on non Philips TV , but it brings up app stats and info.

Have checked and definately stream is being output as FHD - 1080 when playing even if episode is flagged as UHD HDR and app page conforms my model (43pus8536) does support Dolby Vision HDR and UHD as well as HDR 10.

So, definately an Amazon flag issue on the content rather than them blocking certain TV and chipsets from watching content as in the past , which has been seen.

KBD

The FireStick has a Developer's mode:
hold the center button on the remote & hold Down on the ring for 4 seconds
then press the menu button, the one with 3 horizontal bars

Mine is showing only 1,280x720 for Outer Range, that's 720p.

Jack Ryan is the only one I'm having success with as UHD. 50 Mbps peaks

neilka

720p would make sense given how bad things look at the moment, the macroblocking in Outer Range is really bad, especially in the many dark scenes. Even more crazy that Amazon don't seem to know or care that this is happening for everyone.

thedude

Distinguished Member
I just wish they allowed me to select the resolution and be done with it. Sometimes it starts in hd and stays that way for a whole others it's in hdr.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Same on Apple TV 4K, Outer Range not playing in HDR, I got a few episodes the other week work fine, but last couple back to HD, sort it out Amazon, geez, they really do have a shoddy app.

jakimp

Distinguished Member
same here playing only HD on a panny TV, LG TV, apple TV 4K and a firestick 4K so problem must be at amazons end.

understandable i guess for a struggling tech start up company .......

KBD

My devices all with the same result for the same content:

LG-CX
UHD-Apple-TV
Roku-Ultra
UHD-FireStick
Sony UBP-X700

KBD

Well, here's something I noticed just today.
Prime Video no longer has two titles for the same film in HD & UHD, it's all under one now.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand