Some Advice!? System without a sub?!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by magicmat, Jun 3, 2008.

1. magicmat

magicmat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there. I am looking for a system but with a few specific requests! This is for my parents, so don't blame me, but this is what they need!

An all in one DVD, tuner, and speaker system
    No Sub! (There is simply no room for one)
    2 Audio inputs
    No need for HDMI, Optical etc
    Budget of £150 max
    Descrete Speakers, not floor standing

I hope someone can give me some help, because Im kinda stuck! My parents really are NOT audiophiles, so the quality isnt thier main concern, but the requirements above are! This is just needed for (rare) radio and DVD use, and sometimes to play freeview or the video through. I could always not install the sub, but i know a lot of systems need these to operate, and that the surround speakers have zero bass in them!

So, any ideas, or am I stuck?! HELP! :lease:

2. RAWRferal

RAWRferal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's seriously no room AT ALL for a sub? My bedroom is probably the smallest box room you've seen, and has a huge bed dominating it and I still managed to fit a sub in there.

The reason I'm saying this is because it could get pretty hard trying to find a system with no woofer, you could try connecting to a Hi-fi or something I guess.

3. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Actually, your problem is your budget. There are a one or two 2.0 systems (Teac do the DVD/Dab mini system) and some soundbars work without a sub, but all are far more expensive than £150.
    Using a stereo system is not as daft as it sounds, but obviously you don't get any surround.

cookie

4. magicmat

magicmat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is my parents we're talking about! Its more about logistics than anything else. There is only a small amount of room around the TV and they dont want any external boxes (eg sub). They also want the least amount of "clutter" so having a DVD, radio, and speakers all in one unit is the aim. In reality they watch very few DVD's, and are pretty unlikely to watch TV through the speakers unless I am there to do it! So, any systems that will work without the Sub plugged in may well do the job?

5. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Teac's DVD playing hi-fi unit with suitable speakers would be perfect, save the price. I think it's £300 just for the unit? Plus £100-150 for a decent pair of speakers.

EDIT: Actually, wait a minute, if they're not that fussed, what's wrong with the TV speakers?