Some Advice Required

AndrewP84

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Having had Freeview for past few months or so and the signal being up and down I am looking into getting FreeSat. The flat I live in already has one input for satellite cable as the block has a communal dish, so hopefully I could just buy a Freesat box and connect the a coxial F Plug cable and would that be all I need to do?. Also can I get Freesat HD on one input connection? However I dont think I will be able to watch and record on one input is that right?

Thanks

Andrew

As long as it's a Sky satellite cable, Freesat HD will be fine. Connect the cable, run auto-setup, job done.

As long as it's a Sky satellite cable, Freesat HD will be fine. Connect the cable, run auto-setup, job done.

Where can I get a sky satellite cable from? Maplin somewhere like that?

Also will I be able to watch and record if I get a PVR on one cable?

Andrew

No, I meant that it'll work as long as the cable is connected to a "Sky" dish on your building, rather than to a cable service like Virgin.

If the cable is long enough, just fit an F connector and plug it into the sat receiver. If you need a cable to go from a wall outlet, you can use any double-screened coax cable, often sold as CT100, WF100, "satellite". Don't use ordinary TV aerial co-ax.

There aren't any Freesat PVRs available yet, although the Humax PVR is due to be released soon. Difficult to know exactly how it will work. You should be able to record one programme while watching a previously recorded program using just one cable - even Sky+ will do that with a bit of fiddling.

No, I meant that it'll work as long as the cable is connected to a "Sky" dish on your building, rather than to a cable service like Virgin.

If the cable is long enough, just fit an F connector and plug it into the sat receiver. If you need a cable to go from a wall outlet, you can use any double-screened coax cable, often sold as CT100, WF100, "satellite". Don't use ordinary TV aerial co-ax.

There aren't any Freesat PVRs available yet, although the Humax PVR is due to be released soon. Difficult to know exactly how it will work. You should be able to record one programme while watching a previously recorded program using just one cable - even Sky+ will do that with a bit of fiddling.

Thanks Clockworks for your help :) I may just get a Freesat HD Box to begin with, just a couple more questions 1) Can you buy ready made ables with F PLUG Connectors already on them? 2) As the dish is communcal for the whole block of flats I am concerned the signal quality may not be all that great, is it possible to get any signal boosters of any kind to help improve reception as its a communal dish.

Thanks

Andrew

Not sure about ready-made cables - I bought a 100m drum and put TV/sat points in all my rooms. I'd be surprised if you can't get them - try B&Q, Maplin or eBay. I know B&Q sell the cable and connectors, and they're very easy to fit.

Ask you neighbours if their Sky signal is OK. If it works for Sky, it'll be fine for Freesat. A properly installed communal dish will already have a distribution amp fitted, so you shouldn't need a booster.

Not sure about ready-made cables - I bought a 100m drum and put TV/sat points in all my rooms. I'd be surprised if you can't get them - try B&Q, Maplin or eBay. I know B&Q sell the cable and connectors, and they're very easy to fit.

Ask you neighbours if their Sky signal is OK. If it works for Sky, it'll be fine for Freesat. A properly installed communal dish will already have a distribution amp fitted, so you shouldn't need a booster.

Thanks Clockworks :), I dident think they even did boosters for satellite signals?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2m-Black-Webr...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Would the above be okay do you think and are the F Connectors easy fit?

Cheers

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
WF100 cable is around 35p a metre, F connectors are around 20p each. Available from any electrical wholesaler (CEF, Senate, etc.) or DIY shed if you don't mind paying a bit more, or eBay like you found.

Have a look at the "satcure" website. IIRC, they have a video guide to fitting the connectors. If you use the "twist" type connectors, it's just a case of cutting the outer insulation, shield and inner insulation to the correct length, then screwing the connector onto the cable. The inside of the main barrel is threaded, so it locks in place as you screw it on. No soldering or tiny screws. 2 minutes per plug.

No Sky Sports News I'm afraid, as that's a subscription channel on Sky - despite it being free on Freeview :suicide:

Sky News is FTA, but not part of the Freesat EPG I think. So you'd need a Freesat receiver which has a non-Freesat mode, such as the Humax Foxsat HD :)

No Sky Sports News I'm afraid, as that's a subscription channel on Sky - despite it being free on Freeview :suicide:

Sky News is FTA, but not part of the Freesat EPG I think. So you'd need a Freesat receiver which has a non-Freesat mode, such as the Humax Foxsat HD :)

So it does not have channels such as Sky One etc? So channel lineup is worse than freeview :(

So it does not have channels such as Sky One etc?
No, you can only get Sky One with a Sky subscription.

So channel lineup is worse than freeview :(
Arguably, yes. You won't get Dave, Virgin 1, TMF, The Hits or UKTV History either - but you will get BBC HD & ITV HD instead. I'd expect some of that first list to go FTA in time.

So it does not have channels such as Sky One etc? So channel lineup is worse than freeview :(

It depends on your viewing preferences. For the best of free UK TV you really need both Freeview and freesat. Freesat has half a dozen movie channels that do not appear on Freeview, 24 hour versions of channels that are time limited on Freeview, several more music channels.

FreesatfromSky would give you Sky 3, Fiver, Five US, Setanta Sports News none of which are available on the BBC/ITV version of freesat but you will NOT get HD on the Sky version.

Last edited:
Also does anyone know how many cables the new PVR will need when it comes out, I only have one satellite point in my flat, but I just thought it may need to feeds as I think you need 2 cables one to record and another to watch something, If anyone could offer any help that would be great.

THanks

Yes Andy, you're quite right. Whilst the PVR can work on only 1 feed, you will not get the Record two different channels or Record one View another options without a second feed.

Yes Andy, you're quite right. Whilst the PVR can work on only 1 feed, you will not get the Record two different channels or Record one View another options without a second feed.

I guess in my situation its not worth getting a PVR?

Sorry to push in with what is probably a dumb question but here goes :)...........I have sky freesat but need to buy a new TV, I see a lot now have freeview+ with the recording etc facilities. That sounds good but we can't actually get freeview here (well not all the channels)...my question is, if I buy a new TV with built in Freesat+ will I be able to use that AND still use the SKy freesat? Hope I'm making sense, sorry to be dumb but my husband used to do all these things and since he died I've been struggling to get to grips with technology!! I know I can ask in the TV shop but I guess they will tell me anything to sell me a TV!!

Any advice on what else I need to look for when buying a new TV greatly appreciated.

There are no TVs with built in freesat+ - there is at present only one stb with recording facilities the Humax PVR. The TVs only have a built in freesat tuner (as well as Freeview) but no recording facility.

:oops:sorry (I told you this was all new to me!) I meant if I buy a TV with built in FREEVIEW+ (not freesat+) then can I also use the freesat that I have, somone else has answered in another thread and said that I can but the more advice I get before buying a new TV the better. Basically I want to be able to watch all terrestrial programmes and as many free digital ones as possible but also have the facility to easily record - to be able to pause live TV would be a bonus (eg when the phone rings!) but is not vital. Any comments/advice greatly appreciated.

I see a lot of mention of Humax on this forum but it's a make I have never heard of, is it generally available or are they only available from the manufacturer. Sorry to keep asking questions and thanks for your help.

I have had the Humax pvr for about a month and it's great- allows me to record 2 sumultaneous channels (even two HD programmes at once!) and I can watch yet another on my freeview enabled Panny. Providing you have a decent HD-ready TV you will notice the vast improvement HD gives.

:oops:sorry (I told you this was all new to me!) I meant if I buy a TV with built in FREEVIEW+ (not freesat+) then can I also use the freesat that I have, somone else has answered in another thread and said that I can but the more advice I get before buying a new TV the better. Basically I want to be able to watch all terrestrial programmes and as many free digital ones as possible but also have the facility to easily record - to be able to pause live TV would be a bonus (eg when the phone rings!) but is not vital. Any comments/advice greatly appreciated.

I see a lot of mention of Humax on this forum but it's a make I have never heard of, is it generally available or are they only available from the manufacturer. Sorry to keep asking questions and thanks for your help.

Humax is a respected name across Europe with some excellent products. They are now sold through Argos, Comet, Dixons, John Lewis to name just a few and although the PVR has been in short supply that should improve over the next month or two.

Freesat will give you many more channels than Freeview although the channel lineups differ to a large extent.

Both have all the main BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five channels.
Freeview has Fiver, Five US, UK TV History, Dave, Virgin 1, Setanta Sports News and Sky Sports News that freesat does not have.
Freesat has Zone Reality, Zone Thriller, Zone Rpmantica, Film 24. Men and Motors, Travel Channel, Horse and Country, Zone Horror, True Movies,Movies4men 1 and 2, World Movies, Pop (kids channel), Tiny Pop, Popgirl, Kix, BBC HD and ITV HD plus many time shift variants, news channels and Asian channels that you will not receive on Freeview. Some of these may not appear on the full 7 day EPG but are available in what is called non freesat mode.

So which PVR you go for Freeview+ or freesat+ depends on which channels you are likely to want to record most. In basic operation there is little to chose between the two although some have facilities others do not have and virtually all should have "live pause"

Both Freeview+ and freesat+ set top boxes will work with virtually any TV whether or not it has built in Freeview or freesat. My preference is for seperate boxes rather than TVs with built in PVRs, if the PVR fails and needs to go away for repair at least you still have the TV.

Last edited:
Thanks, particularly for the last bit of advice about sending things for repair, I hadn't thought about that. Really appreciate everyone's help. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom