1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some advice, please, on positioning of permanently placed speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stuart Wright, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Hi guys,
    I've got 7 of the new Ruark Dialogue speakers which come with brackets for mounting on the wall or ceiling. I'm going for the ceiling. Where the speakers are located is pretty much determined by obstacles in the room.
    The brackets have 4 screw holes in them and unfortunately Ruark didn't anticipate that some people might want to get the right tow-in angle on them so I've had to drill holes in the middle of the bracket and temporarily mount the left + right speakers by one bolt so I can swivel them to the right angle. Once I have the right angle I will screw them up through the 4 holes and hence their tow-in angle will be permanently fixed.
    So I want to get it right.
    I positioned a seat pretty much in the middle of the 6 or 7 seats I will have in the room and angled the speakers so I'm looking bang at the center of them. I then angled them outward everso slightly and took a photo to show you what I see from the seating position.
    They sound fine with stereo music. Not tried movies, yet, since the centre speaker would need to go up first.
    This is pretty much all I intend to do before permanently fixing the speakers.
    Any advice from anyone on how to quickly and easily determine a 'correct' tow-in angle? OR shall I just 'go for it' ?

Attached Files:

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It's a shame they don't do a bracket to hold it vertically, then they could fit down the side of your screen.

Move them around and listen to them, see what you like.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Retro - the problem with mounting them vertically is that they sound distinctly different vertically to horizontally, so I'd have to mount the centre in the same way and it would cover up too much of the screen.
    With regard to moving them around - this is precisely what I can't do now they are bolted in place. I can only tilt and swivel and to me they sound ok. I was wondering if there is a known 'proper' method of at least getting close to having them at the correct angle.

4. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well I happened to see something which suggested that they should cross just in front of the listening position.

Guess it really is try them in various angles and see which sounds right to you.

BTW how much do they sell for. I have a set of ruarks at the moment and I am looking for a center rear for when I upgrade my amp. and the only place to fit it is to the ceiling.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    mmm actually I recall that 'cross infront of you' advice. I'll try a few small changes, but I doubt my tinitis damaged hearing will detect any changes.

I think the Dialogues are a bit less than £400 each (!). Go to www.ruark.net, find the dealer nearest you and give them a call.

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuart,
    You have mail.

Eric