• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Some advice please. DVD Recorder

hansi

Standard Member
I have a very cheap DVD Player which is on its last legs, so to speak, and I want to replace it with a recorder. My present equipment is a Pansonic 26" HD TV which is connected to a Virgin Media V+ Box by HDMI lead which can receive HD channels. What I would like to do is to transfer some of the recordings on the Virgin hard drive to a DVD disk , but can I do this via HDMI? There is only one HDMI outlet on the TV. Otherwise I guess it will have to be by scart lead. Your susggestion for a DVD recorder would be appreciated:lease: as I haven't a clue. It's a jungle out there!

Geofbob

No you can't record via HDMI - because no recorder has an HDMI input (to prevent HD copying for copyright reasons). But the outputs on the TV are irrelevant - you'll be recording direct from the V+ box via Scart.

The usual recommendation from AVF is that you should not go for a simple DVD recorder, but for one with a hard disc, ie a DVD/HDD recorder. Sony & Panasonic models are (not surprisingly) the most versatile & reliable, with perhaps the Pannies taking precedence.

hansi

Standard Member
Thank you for your input. I'll probably go for the Pannie as I've already got the Pannie TV, is anyone better that another, and should I be looking for any particular features. Another requirement is that is has to be thin to fit under my V+ Box!

Gavtech

Administrator
Thank you for your input. I'll probably go for the Pannie as I've already got the Pannie TV, is anyone better that another, and should I be looking for any particular features. Another requirement is that is has to be thin to fit under my V+ Box!

Panasonic EX769... 59 mm high

Details here.

This is a very good all round recorder.

If you want bigger hard disc and USB support go for the EX79

If you want even bigger hard disc and SD card support EX89

hansi

Standard Member
I don't actually want the Freeview as I've got the V+ Box and I've got Freeview built in to my telly. But I guess that you can't get them without Freeview?

Gavtech

Administrator
I don't actually want the Freeview as I've got the V+ Box and I've got Freeview built in to my telly. But I guess that you can't get them without Freeview?

No.

Having freeview integrated can be helpful as it allows you to record something from freeview whilst watching something else from V+

hansi

Standard Member
PANASONIC - DMRXS350EBK - High Definition DVD Recorder with HDD (250GB), Twin HD Satellite Tuner, SD Memory Card Slot and USB

Saw this the other day. I know it's quite expensive, but what are the advantages of this over the other Panasonic models suggested. Sorry, I'm a bit of a thickie where technology is concerned:eek:

ramjet

Banned
PANASONIC - DMRXS350EBK - High Definition DVD Recorder with HDD (250GB), Twin HD Satellite Tuner, SD Memory Card Slot and USB

Saw this the other day. I know it's quite expensive, but what are the advantages of this over the other Panasonic models suggested. Sorry, I'm a bit of a thickie where technology is concerned:eek:

it uses two tuners connected to a satellite dish pointed at astra 2, and so gives you freesat channels

it also means you could record one channel and watch another channel , and is independent of your v+ box

the usb and sd cards can be used for pictures and mp3 and anything else panny allow , so they have the slots for them on the machine

it also produces high def so bbcHD and other HD channels that are free and similar to the bbcHD can be watched or recorded

so quite a lot of extras there providing you have a sky dish with a quad lnb and a twin shotgun cable coming from it ( typically used for sky plus , so its effectively freesat plus with added dvd capabilities )

hansi

Standard Member
Thank you for that. I don't have a satellite dish (I have a Virgin V+ box) so I guess that it's no good for me. Back to the drawing board, but would welcome any more suggestions.

ramjet

Banned
there is little on offer at the moment apart from what you see in this thread , so I would forget about the type of inbuilt tuner a machine has if you arent going to use it , and concentrate on the other facilities the units have

I would suggest you buy a freeview dvd/hdd recorder , usually with the freeview inbuilt tuner ( even if you dont wish to use it ) and connect it to your v+ box using a scart lead , and then do the tasks you asked about in post 1

personally I use the older sony models made by pioneer , but its the same principle regardless of using sky or virgin or any other cable or satellite box or tuner source

if you wanted something cheap , check for the sony hxd x70 , x90 and x95 models on e bay

but if you want something new and not involved with a dish , go for the panasonic ones suggested by gav

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom