Some advice on proposed surround placement please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by smcicr, Sep 18, 2007.

1. smcicr

smcicr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I'm slowly building a system (of sorts) but money is extremely tight presently.

I currently have:

Onkyo CR515 running through a pair of Aego-T speakers
    Old LG3350 DVD player (ultimately to be swapped for an HDMI based model)
    Sky HD Box
    Samsung LE37R87BDX LCD

I'm looking at getting either an Onkyo TX SR505E or SR605E in the near future to hook that all into and allow me to get surround sound set up. (I've been donated a pair of old Wharfedale Diamond speakers - can't see a number reference on them, sorry - that I intend to use for surrounds).

I have enclosed a diagram of the room layout with red 'S's for where I propose to put the Wharfedales - due to space constraints one will have to go on a windowsill and the other on a shelf in a dvd rack.

The room is 11 feet (window side) by 14 and a half feet (wall with TV on). The exisitng speakers are placed as close as I can get to be equidistant either side of the TV and around head height of someone sitting on the sofa (it's actually an L shaped one but Visio doesn't have one of those in it's toolbox).

I'd be very grateful if someone would take a look and offer some suggestions:

1. Is it worth adding the surround speakers in the current locations? (if not - where else would you suggest - if wall mounting is better I do have wall mounts for the Aego-T's but would prefer to keep those as the fronts as I suspect they'll be better than the Wharfedales)

2. Is it likley to cause any major issues combining the two sets of speakers? (Bearing in mind that I will probably add a centre speaker from Wharfedale at some point too to sit below the TV - really no room or money for a sub!)

3. Will a centre speaker be worth buying - will it improve things noticeably?

The Onkyo amps seem well received so unless anyone has other suggestions for that area I'll leave it there - many thanks if you've stayed with it this long!

Cheers,

Jason.

Attached Files:

2. Para

Para

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi,

Sorry I dont have any photo uploading sites at the mo.

But you want them about either side of the sofa opisit the tv, placed against the sidf walls, and about a meter higher than your ear at listening position.

-------------------------------
    ----------- tv----------------

[]--------sofa----------door-- []

Sorry for the pic

3. smcicr

smcicr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply. A metre above listening position will definitely mean wall mounting them and I can only do that comfortably on one side (the dvd rack on the door side of the sofa is floor to ceiling).

Would it be better to have them at a similar height to eachother and lower?

Also - they're not huge (the wharfedales) but they are fairly hefty to be having up on the wall... I guess the room is not exactly condusive to doing this sort of thing!

Thanks,

Jason.

4. Para

Para

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    oh and facing your ears and not the front of the room.

As for the other questions.

You can easily get speaker brackets on fleabay for about a £10. Hopefully that wont dreak the bank.

Mising and matching fronts and backs shouldnt be to much of an issue, if it does sound wrong then you amy want to consider upgrading the surrounds, but ttry it and see if you like it. I can imagine you will.

A centre speaker would be a good idea as it will give you a larger, and more focused soundfield. And take the strain of your fronts a bit.

As for a new amp. get this system up and running first, see how you get on before deciding if you should ditch it or not!

regards
    Para

5. Para

Para

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    If you can get them teh same height, then go with that. Thats the problem with installing al this kit, its never planned around a home that anyone actually lives in..

Could you not slot one in the DVD rack??

6. smcicr

smcicr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    indeed! i should have looked at the lounge more carefully when viewing the house in the first place! ;)

the intention was to stick one in the dvd rack (even though it'll mean the sound is going directly into the wooden side panel for that speaker... :oops:) and unfortunately i'll need the amp in order to make the surround sound a possibility - the CR515 doesn't support it to the best of my knowledge :|

cheers,

jason.