1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some advice on Plasma choice please...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dr Niceguy, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys, I am looking to order my 1st Plasma TV and can not decide between the LG RZ42Px11 at £1833 delivered or the Samsung PS42V4SX at £1730 delivered?
    I am on a budget hence I have chosen these models because of their specification for the money.
    I have a Yamaha home cinema amp, motorised digital satallite, DVD, Video and playstation 2 to connect.
    I have read good things on here about the LG and like the spec, but samsung also looks good and has a good spec with a contrast ratio of 3000:1.

Any advice offered would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dr

2. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can anyone offer any advice please?

Dr

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If your budget can stretch to 2K, you're in Panny PW6 territory, generally considered to be one of the best screens around and a major step up quality wise from the LG & Samsung,

John

4. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the info, I was considering stretching my budget to the £2K mark to try and get into a Panny PW6, but have not been able to find one. Would any of you guys recommend anywhere?
    Also there is the added cost of a tuner and pedestal stand on top!

I know this may sound a little dumb of me, but I don't understand why a tuner for a panny costs around £385? Couldn't a freeview box be used to watch terrestrial tv?

Thanks in advance

Dr

5. calmac

calmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    With regards to which screen, i have ordered a samsung ps42s4s it is the same deriative as the "v" (4th generation screen), according to samsung the "v's" are aimed at the commercial market, will let you know of the "s" performance when it arrives.
    I have deliberated over which samsung for a while and came to the conclusion that the "s" suited me best.

Cheers

6. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I eagerly await your comments on the Sammy Calmac.
    What actually is the difference between the V and the S then, do you know?

The more I read about the Sammy, the more I think this may be the one I will order. For £1729 including built in tuner, stand and speakers (although I will run it through my amp) it seems great value for money for a 4th gen screen.

Dr

7. calmac

calmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What to do is phone samsung uk and get them to send you a brochure of all their displays as i just did (you get it by return of post), it tells you quite a lot, the S seems to be the Standard Definition flagship it has 2 tuners, progressive scan and more connections, you can get the S from unbeatable.co.uk for £2000 and its a new model not many have witnessed it including me (so i live in hope).
    Also have a look at all the samsung websites, they give you plenty info as well

Cheers

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Dr Niceguy

If your running Audio through your AV Receiver and (like most these days) using SKY or Freeview as your 'TV' tuner your wasting cash on units with a Media Box and in built or detachable speakers.

The Panasonic TH-42PWD6BX is still the 'reference' to judge all other Video displays by at the near £2k territory and from my experience of other brands and models you should still put this top of your shopping list.

What's the rest of your AV System?

Best regards

Joe

9. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Joe,

the rest of my gear comprises of: Yamaha RXV530 amp, Eltax Liberty 5+ speakers, Eltax symphony centre speaker, Toshiba SD210 DVD, Sanyo Video recorder, Technomate TM5000DAPCI digital satellite receiver (motorised system).

I have just received an email from a retailer who has offered me a Panasonic TH 37PA20 with pedestal stand for £2000. Any opinions on going for this model, albeit a smaller screen size?

Also, can someone please confirm that if I was to buy a Panny TH42PW6B, there is no need to buy a tuner for it, if I was to use a freeview box and my sat system?
    If this is a yes, then which connections would be best for set up, and which terminal boards would I need in order to do it?

Thanks in advance
    Simon

10. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    YOu can pickup a TH42PWD6BX at Richer Sounce for 1898.95 - however it does say due to low demand you have goto to a store who will then order it for you (or I suspect try and sell you something else, where they make more money).

11. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm new to this forum too. Was originally going to go for a 32" LCD but everyone seems to think plasmas are better (well at least cheaper and bigger). Everyone on this forum seems to love the Panasonic TH-42PWD6 Plasma (Panny PW6) and everyone recommends buying it from AV-Sales.co.uk(obviously linked to this site). They are currently doing a deal for Forum members where you can get the Panny for £1973.09 and more importantly this includes a free terminal board and delivery. Also he is doing a discount on Wall mounts/stands etc. One of the other considerations is you can get a three year warranty for £170 (forum members) which is cheaper than Richer. Don't forget Richer will charge you £50 for postage and I don't believe you get a terminal board. The customer service is also supposed to be excellent from AV-Sales although I don't have any direct experience (never been impressed with Richer). If you search for a forum titled 'Panasonic PWD6 Special Package' you will see the amount of business Alistair/AV-Sales gets and the delivery time looks quick. Also you can email him with your current system/requirements and he will tell you exactly what you need (which terminal board, TV tuner, stand etc). Hope this helps.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    FaxFan2000

:) - Low demand my 'what sit'; more like non existent stock at RS.

Dr NiceGuy

Panasonic PlasmaTV's are not my favourite - side by side with a Panasonic Plasma Display the TV's give away too much Picture Quality; though they do 'look' sexier.

I would guess there are more PWD Display owners on this Forum than any other Plasma model and I would also guess about 1% of them use the optional Tuner box.

The PWD6 has a built in HD15 (VGA) socket that can be used with PC's and certain Video signals.

Interfacing a Freeview, DVD, Satellite decoder and other video sources can be achieved in many ways - with your AV Receiver used as a Hub for your Video and Audio signal's.

Your VCR is the only unit that wont easily allow a single cable between your AV Receiver and the HD15 (VGA) input on the display - you may need to consider installing a SCART or Composite board in the PWD6 for the VCR; or do what a lot of us do and ditch the VCR in favour of a Hard Drive recorder.

Drop me a PM and I'll go through your options in more detail and give you an idea of the costs involved.

Best regards

Joe

13. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers Joe, PM sent.