Some advice on Optical vs Quality Twin RCA

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dextur, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,744
    Hi

I just recently upgraded to a plasma and at the same time changed much of the old cabling, with the DVD box now routing directly into my Denon AVR 3801 as a switching unit.

I was advised to ditch my old profigold audio cable and have now added the TOS(5) (Which way is that prounced BTW, TOS or TO5 ?), from the DVD optical to the AVR3801 but dammed if it will work, Digital won't appear on the 3801. I can see the little fibre light on at the end of the cable so presume that's an indicator the cable is not faulty?

So temporarily I have plugged my fairly high quality Profigold twin RCA back in from the DVD to the 3801 to get sound and I was basically wondering if it's worth my time trying to get the optical audio output working.

Is it that much better on movies that a quality left/right audio cable ?

Any considered opinions.

My speakers are just some bog standard missions, stereo , rear and center, a REL sub and the AVR801

Thanks

2. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't get pucker Dolby Digital 5.1 (upwards) surround unless you switch to a digital link, using the stereo lead will give you i'm guessing an inferior 'prologic' setup.

So yes I would get the toslink working! Maybe a case you have to tell the Denon that you're using the optical input?

3. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,744
    What do you mean pucker mate? I get full 5.1 with analogue, that's not the problem is it? 5.1 does not rely on digital does it?

Yeah I have told the denon it's there but it pays ZERO attention - bah

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Is there a setting on your DVD player to enable digital out?
    That's the only place left to look.

5. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,744
    Yes, there is. I went into DVD setup / Sound/ then there's an option for digital output which i set to bitstream, but it makes no odds.

Then i tried completely disconnecting the analogue cables in case they were somehow overriding it, made no difference.

Odd thing is on the Denon, if I choose AUTO it always goes to analogue, even if the optical is plugged in which tells me it isn't even sensing that cable is plaugged in.

If I choose DTS manually it does go to digital BUT even if I pull the optical cable out it still says Digital so obviously it's just a 'label' as opposed to a reality of it sensing the digital signal.

I've tried all 3 optical inputs on the Denon, 1, 2 and 3. The manual seems to indicate no3 should be used.

The light is coming through the optical cable telling me presumably the cable is not shagged.

Gonna cry soon

On the upside my nice new panasonic pw6 with composite cables looks g-rr-eaaaatttt!

6. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you selected the Optical input on your amp set up screen? I have the Denon AVC A11SR and you have to select each optical input. i.e. Opt1 to DVD and so on.

7. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've only got L/R analogue connections plugged in then it's not proper Digital 5.1, for that you need a digital connection. Sounds like you're playing stuff back as Dolby Prologic - an older and inferior means of surround.

8. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,744

bah that was it mate. on the old system it was set to digital but via coax, i didnt even know this cos i did not install it, but the original guy just came to my house, plugged the amp into a spare telly and swopped it, it was on the wrong port

Gah, noob alert

thanks all

ps yes I realised Digital 5.1 was not poss without a dig connection I was referrgin to 5.1 analogue

9. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For analogue 5 channel surround like a multichannel audio CD you need 5 cables (one per channel) not just the L/R audio outputs. Hence I think you were running in 'Prologic' mode where it creates the surround channels out of the L/R stereo pair.

10. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,744
    ahh got you, i had presumed that 5.1 analogue is pro=logic and 5.1 digital is exactly that digital.