1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some advice on GT4 controller needed please

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by technoman28, May 3, 2005.

1. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Hello people, I am looking for some advice on controllers for playing GT4 on the PS2, at the moment I (or more correctly my 10 year old son) am using just a normal handset and finding it difficult to control the cars, would a steering wheel make it any easier? are pedals a good idea? I dont know if I am doing something wrong but as far as I can tell you have to tap the X button to control engine revs, would a set of pedals give you the ability to progressively adjust the revs (as in a real car)? the same for the steering. Also what difference does the price make, ie does a £20 wheel differ significantly in ability from a more expensive model? Any advice would be much appreciated, are the forum classifieds a good place to try and get one, or should I just buy new?

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Some people I know are using the right analog stick to accelerate and brake, personally i can't do this as it requires a lot of co-ordination! You might want to give it a go. If you go the steering wheel route do not get a cheap one, most of the time they do not respond when you want them to, and as with most things in life "if you buy cheap........you buy twice"

3. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    This wheel is the daddy of all steering wheels and definately improves the experience VASTLY in my opinion giving you 900 degree rotation(more realistic) and brake and accelarator too boot which enable you too feed in the power and hold at certain power band, v useful for tight cornering. You can also feel the grip You may not, realistically get as fast lap times as an experienced player with a joypad but it makes it sooo much more exciting, especially round the Nurburgring. I was literally buzzing after a 7 minute storm around it in a Race Supra on the big screen :thumbsup:

4. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Thanks for the advice guys, that Logitech wheel sounds like the the dogs proverbials. My son did the Nurburgring in under ten minutes, which he was over the moon about as Jeremy Clarkson didn't manage to do it. He now goes round telling all his mates that he is a better driver than that Clarkson dude!

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    I know its a different style of game etc etc but you should see the lap record for the Nurburgring on PGR2, 5:54:432sec (iirc) this of course is with cutting the grass on certain corners plus the track is 'gentler' on PGR than GT4.

6. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I did have a couple of slight off track moments and no doubt with more practice could get into sub 7's but some bods have done sub 6 in various other race cars :)
    Matt