Some advice on current 43" TV's please

smallieboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I’m in the market for a new TV. It’s not ‘urgent’, i.e., my current one isn’t broken so if this isn’t the best time to buy, I can wait, but, with Black Friday around the corner there may, I guess, be a few bargains available.

I currently have a 32-inch LG smart TV (32LS575T-ZD) that’s 7 – 8 years old. When I bought it I lived in a small flat and anything else would have been too big. To be honest, apart from the sound, which is awful (I use a soundbar), it’s served me well; I generally watch films, Freeview TV and BT Sport (mainly rugby), through a 4K BT TV box. In the past year or so I’ve started streaming from Amazon and Now TV as well. I also mostly watch TV with the lights dimmed.

Due to the size and set-up of my lounge I’m restricted to a 43” TV so OLED’s out. I sit about 8ft from the screen, more or less directly in front of it, and other seats in the room are probably, at most 50° off centre - these are, however, rarely occupied.

For comparison I’ve looked at the Currys site. Prices for 43” TV’s range from about £250 to £999 (if I rule out Samsung’s rotating Sero – which I have 🤭). I don’t know that I want to spend a grand on a TV but if, say, £700 gets me something better than £250 (and it should!) I can afford to pay the difference.

So, my question is, what’s the difference between a £250 and £999 TV and, given the information above,

• what should I be considering?
  • does anyone have any recommendations?
I’m not interested in things like ‘The Serif’ and ‘The Frame’ but do things like ‘Ambilight’ make any difference (I have a grey corner behind my TV)?

I have looked at the guides here but a lot of the buying advice (particularly the recommendations) seems a bit out of date.

Thanks in advance

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom