Some advice on a digital camera please?

ritzie

My digital camera recently fell off a shelf and broke, so I decided to claim on the house insurance and fortunately they paid out and so I have £250 to spend on a digital camera. The old one was an Olympus SP-500UZ which I bought in America about 8 months ago. So I'm looking for any advice on a good camera in that price range as I really don't have a clue on cameras and I'm sure there's a few here that do.:lease:

EDIT: One thing I am after is a decent zoom. The Olympus has a 10x optical zoom and would like to have something similar or better if possible, as we're going on safari in June.

Mics49

Hm, Safari shooting - a long tele zoom would be good then. :)

I would most probably go for the new Sony DSC-H9 then. 15x zoom ranging from 31 to 465 mm!! That's some serious tele and quite okay (not too narrow) at the wide end too. It's about to be released any day now and cost about 300 pounds here in the UK.

E.g. here: http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/sony_dsc_h9_black.htm

Have a read & browse here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dsch9.asp
(+ other nifty features: NightShot = infrared capable, IIRC and IS (image stabilisation).)

If you go for Sony, Play have a great sale on for memory, MS Pro Duo see here http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...ory_Stick_Pro_Duo_High_Speed_1GB/Product.html

but also for SD or CF cards. :hiya:

ritzie

Thanks very much for your advice but I've decided to go with the Panasonic DMC- FZ8. It has a long zoom 12x I think and also had a good review (highly recommended) at dpreview so it should be fairly good. Any thoughts on this camera would be greatly appreciated though if you know anything about it.:smashin:

Mics49

sorry, not an inkling about the pannys but seems a very good choice - in particular as it's already out and tested/reviewed. :)

Pirate!!

Banned
Ahoy!

Good choice for the FZ8. Also look out on eBay for the Olympus TCON 17 or 14 telephoto adapter lens (screws onto the threads) and for wide angle, the Olympus WCON-07 should you require additional zoom (1.7x or 1.4x or wider field of view (1.4x).

Also, get yourself a set on filters (UV and circular polarizing) also available on eBay. A spare battery would also be useful as would an extra SD card.

ritzie

Thanks for the info. I got the camera today (FZ8) and first impressions are very good. It's a great leap forward from my old one, I particularly like the O.I.S stabilizing system and the 12x zoom is just what I was after. I bought a 4 GB SDHC card that came with a reader, so not sure if I'll need another card with that amount of storage as I'll also have my Laptop with me, to off load them onto. As far as the extra lenses you mentioned what exactly will they do, and are they a necessity or just an optional extra? Sorry if thats a dumb question but I'm new to all of this. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Pirate!!

Banned
Ahoy!

An extra card will give you the means to keep shooting if your primary card becomes corrupt, lost or damaged. A spare battery is a must.

Filters. I ALWAYS keep my UV filter attached:

1. To reduce the UV levels.
2. To protect the main lens and keep it dust/dirt free (I would definately have one fitted - especially on a Safari).

Telephoto and wide-angle add-on lenses are otional. For example, if you fitted the 1.7x teleconverter (TCON 17) and adjusted the camera zoom to 12x, you will have 12 x 1.7 = 20.4x optical, or 12 x 1.4 = 16.8x optical @ 12x zoom (TCON 14).

The WCON-07 will give you a wider angle. It reduces the existing focal length by a factor of 0.7 without changing the aperture and allows a wider field of view. These are a few additional add-on lenses available that will screw straight onto the camera's housing as they all have a 55mm thread.

I have attached images of both.

I mentioned the telephoto extension lenses as you stated you are going on Safari. I thought you might need the extra zoom capability.

Also, set your camera's image stabilization to MODE 2. You can get some useful tips here. These are for the FZ3, but most will still likely apply to you. Read all the sections. A lot of useful tips and advice in there.

ritzie

Ahoy, thats very much pirate for that great info. By the sounds of it, it seems as if I should go out and buy the UV filters for certain, but still not sure about the telephoto lens as I thought 12x would be enough, but I will read the info on the link you supplied and may change my mind. T

Thanks again.:smashin:

Pirate!!

Banned
Ahoy Ritzie!

My Panny has a metal adapter tube fitted instead of the supplied plastic kit one with a 55mm thread. I believe the stock thread size is 52mm. If you do get a telephoto add-on lens you may require a step-adapter ring, so check first. UV/PL/FLD filters are available in various thread sizes including 52mm and 55mm.

There is a lens adapter ring available for the FZ7/8: DMW-LA2 for circa £20.00 which allows 55mm threaded lenses/filters to be used (much like my own).

mjw123

Novice Member
The fact that pirate is still very happy with his FZ3 that has been superceeded 3 times now is testament to how superb the FZ's are.

I've owned the 3 & 5 and would recommend them to anyone. I'd have gone for the FZ7 simply because it represents better VFM at £150.

Great choice all the same :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom