1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some advice needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by necroscope, Mar 29, 2001.

1. necroscope

necroscope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm just getting into Home Cinema i've been looking around and reading as much as i can until it feels like my head is about to explode

I have a Tosh SD100E

the amps i'm looking at but the amp will depend on what £££'s i have left

Yamaha DSPA5
    Denon AVR 3801
    Pioneer VSX 859RDS

and i'm looking at a 32" Widescreen after talking the wife out of a Tosh 40" saying we dont have the room for one of them unless she wanted to get rid of one of her units that she likes to keep all those nic nacs in [​IMG]

I have between £500-£1000 to spend on the 32"
    looking at:
    Tosh 32W8DB
    Tosh 32WD98B
    Panny TX32DK1
    any other suggestion on good 32" widescreen

so depending on how much i spend on the tv could really decide what amp i end up even thou i would like to have the Denon [​IMG]

After i have that set-up i'll be trying out what speakers go best with whatever amp i end up with.

it will mainly be used to play R1 dvds

so thanks for any help you can give or just tell me i'm off my rocker [​IMG]

2. RobG

RobG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DSP-A5 and I think it's terrific amp. Check it with your existing setup though - I was suprised to hear the difference different speakers made (I bought the amp & replacement speakers at the same time).

Check out w w w. qed-co.uk.com, they have some real bargins!

3. NickLovett

NickLovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a excellent demonstration of the denon AVR-3801 against the ONKYO TX-DS787 which was recommended by my dealer at Audio-T who I have been extremely impressed with. The denon is indeed a quality unit with very few flaws, but after comparing it against the ONKYO unit there really was no question in my mind that the ONKYO was by far the better choice. The soundstage during Tommorrow never dies DVD on the denon was superb but lacked the complete sensation and power of the ONKYO unit. But it was when we compared the quality of CD's that it became immediately apparent that the ONKYO was for me!!!! The denon sounded empty and underpowered and even had me questioning my choice of speakers (which was foolish as they are awesome and without question the best around...KEF's). Then we listened to the same CD (Coldplay) on the ONKYO and it sounded amazing....full sound with unbelievable clarity and amazing bass!!!
    Do yourself a favour and before you buy an amp, give the brand new ONKYO TX-DS787 a try....I am sure you will be glad you did?
    PS...It is also a full THX certified unit with additional 6.1 speaker outputs...BUY ONE NOW