Some advice needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Precizion, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Precizion

Precizion
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a bit of a dilema at the moment, in that a fair bit of my AV kit needs upgrading, but am unsure which route to take.

The first thing that needs upgrading is the dvd player, as the old one tends to overheats and doesn't seem to like a lot of disks (freezes and stutters whilst playing them). I was thinking of just getting a decent new one, but then saw those combi dvd/vhs players on sale. My current VHS player is in even worse state than the current dvd, so again, I really need something new here. The question is, are these worth buying? What kind of quality can you expect from them? (not that I am too fussy).

Having read these forums though, it looks as if buying a DVDR might be the route to go instead. With one of these I can backup all my current VHS tapes (the machine I have plays OK, its just recording where it has problems), and then dump the VHS player as I would now have the DVDR to record stuff onto.

To add another twist to it though, I have been thinking about getting SKY+ for a while so it maybe that I won't record all that much anyway (Tivo looks nice, but I really do need a new sky box as mine is pretty old and plays up alot. Plus I have the premium channels so don't need to pay extra.)

So considering the situation, which do you suggest would be the best to go with? DVD/VHS Combo? Seperate DVD/VHS? Or a DVD Recorder?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cheers.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    First things first - Sky+ is excellent and well worth getting. It makes timeshifting much easier than any DVD recorder ever will. The "Sky+, Freeview and other satellite and cable boxes" forum will be able to adviseyou further on that score:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

With regard to your DVDR/VHS combo question I would always suggest getting seperates as you can choose the best of both worlds. There are some benefits of getting a combo device namely easy, automated dubbing between VHS and DVD (and vice versa) and only one box under the TV. The disadvantages is you won't have the best VCR you can possibly get.

Lets take the Panasonic E75 VHS/DVDR combo as an example:
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2581
    ...priced at £395. Well for that price you can get:

- Panasonic E55 DVDR (£240)
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2402

- JVC HRS5966 VCR (£125)
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/mainscreen.asp

...and you would still have change left despite the fact you have a considerably better VCR (the DVDR is effectively the same).

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Please note that my above example only included the Panasonic E55 as an example DVDR. You may prefer a Pioneer 220 or Toshiba DR2 due to their ability to record to DVD-RW. This is an entirely seperate issue but thought I should clarrify incase you just go out tonight and buy one :)

4. Precizion

Precizion
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I did mean just a plain DVD-VHS Combi and not the DVDR-VHS one, as they don't seem to be very expensive. Have to wonder about the quality of them though. For instance if you buy for £200, is just like getting a £100 quality dvd and vhs in one?

I guess another route to go down would be to just buy a decent dvd player, then get a dvd recorder for my computer (which I could use for more than just backing movies up) since I will most likely be getting SKY+ at one point.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Oh right - would probably be best in the DVD players forum then as you can get the best advice on which DVD player is best. My advice would still be to get seperates...

If you need a new DVD player AND you want to timeshift then why not consider a DVD recorder instead of a VCR? Unless of course you have lots of legacy VHS tapes!

If you really do want a VCR then the best makes are currently Panasonic and JVC - both of whom make excellent S-VCRs. But I can't advise on how good their respect DVD/VHS combos are - for that you will need to ask in the DVD players forum.