Some advice needed - 37" LCDTV recommendations

nbanbury

Standard Member
Hi there

I'm looking at spending up to £1k on a 37" LCDTV and wondered if you can recommend some to me?

I'll be using it for:

DVD's
PS2
Xbox
Sky

I've been looking at the LG37LC2D. Are there other similar models yuo would recommend that are as good/better?

Thanks in advance

boksbox

Nielo TM said:
lol, stay away from LG. I recommend this (or this) Toshiba
Why's that then?, you say avoid LG but recommend Toshiba? Your guide says to avoid the Sharp P50 series as well, when in fact owners seem to rave about them, whereas there does seem to be many Toshiba onwers complaining

Nielo TM

My guide doesn’t say to avoid sharp, infact I recommend it to some.

Anyway, the reason I said to avoid LG is because they use S-IPS.

There’s much more to S-IPS then meet the eye. The S-IPS is already poor for viewing digital videos, especially the ones converted form Film to Digital. Now, as you may know, S-IPS and VA (PVA and MVA) have very slow response time. So to lower the response time below (<18ms), manufactures use a technology called "Overdrive". Overdrive is a name for increasing amplification on the pixel voltage rails.

On S-IPS, overdrive causes increased twinkling effect in moves, which can be annoying and it causes dithering (only if overshoot occurs) on VA panel.

The following information is quoted from my guide

Beware of IPS LCD.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

S-IPS on the other hand is used by LG.Philips. S-IPS is designed for static viewing. In another word, it’s designed for photo editing, medical use and public displays because it has wider viewing angels and outstanding color quality but it’s not suitable for compressed videos.

The S-IPS used by LG.Philips is poor as it has twinkling effect, low contrast, poor viewing angles, strong afterglow etc... However, high quality S-IPS has outstanding color and viewing angles but that’s not the case here.

Overdrive:

Overdrive was invented by manufactures to lower the repose time by increasing voltage/amp levels on LCD panel. If the overdrive incorrectly configured or over used, it would sometimes cause pixel to malfunction permanently or prevents it form fully turning. In most cases, overdrive will cause image retention, dithering and twinkling effect on compressed videos. If image retention occurs, unplug the LCD form the mains for 24hours before use.

boksbox

Nielo TM said:
My guide doesn’t say to avoid sharp, infact I recommend it to some.

Anyway, the reason I said to avoid LG is because they use S-IPS.

There’s much more to S-IPS then meet the eye. The S-IPS is already poor for viewing digital videos, especially the ones converted form Film to Digital. Now, as you may know, S-IPS and VA (PVA and MVA) have very slow response time. So to lower the response time below (<18ms), manufactures use a technology called "Overdrive". Overdrive is a name for increasing amplification on the pixel voltage rails.

On S-IPS, overdrive causes increased twinkling effect in moves, which can be annoying and it causes dithering (only if overshoot occurs) on VA panel.

The following information is quoted from my guide

Beware of IPS LCD.

S-IPS on the other hand is used by LG.Philips. S-IPS is designed for static viewing. In another word, it’s designed for photo editing, medical use and public displays because it has wider viewing angels and outstanding color quality but it’s not suitable for compressed videos.

The S-IPS used by LG.Philips is poor as it has twinkling effect, low contrast, poor viewing angles, strong afterglow etc... However, high quality S-IPS has outstanding color and viewing angles but that’s not the case here.

Overdrive:

Overdrive was invented by manufactures to lower the repose time by increasing voltage/amp levels on LCD panel. If the overdrive incorrectly configured or over used, it would sometimes cause pixel to malfunction permanently or prevents it form fully turning. In most cases, overdrive will cause image retention, dithering and twinkling effect on compressed videos. If image retention occurs, unplug the LCD form the mains for 24hours before use.
I thought I'd run the S-IPS question past LG, I'm sure you'll appreciate their witty reply;

"We cannot make any statement. Picture quality is mainly subjective so if the customer feels the picture is not good due to the S-IPS system then they can buy a TV without S-IPS"

buffalo2102

Whilst I'm not going to argue with any of the technical points put above, I will say that any of the effects mentioned above will not be noticed by the vast majority of viewers. S-IPS may not be an ideal solution but it does deliver what it promises in terms of colour and viewing angle.

I am extremely happy with my LG and, S-IPS or not, it still delivers a better quality picture than most other models I looked at in the same price bracket.