Some advice for a newbie please.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johno, Nov 6, 2003.

1. johno

johno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello folks. I'm new here and looking for some advice.

Until now I've not used DVDs at all but with the prices of recorders moving down fast I'm now tempted to make a move and phase out using VCR. I have all Panasonic kit (Sky box
    TU-DSB30, VCR is NV-FJ710B-S and TV is TX-W28R3 - widescreen) which I am pleased with so I'm thinking of buying a DMR-E50 EBS DVD recorder.

I have my existing kit chained with SCART cables and RGB passthru in the sequence: Sky dish -> digibox -> VCR -> TV. I assume I'd just insert the DVD recorder in the chain in a similar way between the VCR and the TV. I'm hoping this this will be fine for playing pre-recorded DVDs (I don't need cinema-style sound) and for one-off time-shift viewing of satellite broadcasts using DVD-RAM disks. I reckon I should also be able to use this set-up
    to record live broadcasts onto DVD-R disks which could be played on pretty much any recent DVD player. Am I right, or have I missed any 'gotchas'?

The one thing I reckon I couldn't do would be to record and edit on DVD-RAM then transfer to DVD-R. For that I suppose I could buy another DVD player which could play DVD-RAM disks or (I can see you squirming at this) record the edited DVD-RAM onto VCR then back off onto DVD-R with some quality loss. Am I correct in assuming that Panasonic are the *only* manufacturer who makes DVD-RAM players or is there a cheaper alternative?

Any advice or comments on the above would be appreciated.

Many thanks, John.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Don't normally list the Sky Dish in system setups myself :) Anyway you could add the E50 to the loop - and stick the VCR on the Sky VCR Out socket:

VCR > Sky Digibox TV Out > AV2 on the E50 and then AV1 > TV EXT1
    VCR Out > TV EXT2

The reason for sticking the VCR directly onto Sky is to prevent any copy protection issues when playing VHS cassettes through the E50 and because it uses composite not RGB.

It will be fine for this on your TV.

Again it will do this fine.

Correct - although there is very limited editting on DVD-R disks. You can stop and start the recording and later delete any recordings you don'twant but you can't select specific scenes to delete.

Correct. You'd need a HDD/DVDR combo to do this or a PC DVD burner (see my thread on the subject) or a DVD-RAM capable player.

For the latter option you could use either the cheap(ish) S35 or more expensive S75 from Panasonic. Or a new model from JVC. Or wait for the new Thompson and Toshiba lines.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Shoot the heretic! Shoot the heretic! Shoot the heretic!

3. johno

johno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the prompt and informative reply, Rasczak.

I consider myself shot - thought you'd like the one about the VCR :)).

Good tip about the cabling - I hadn't considered those aspects.

Think I will start with the E50 alone - the limited editing available with CD-R may be sufficient for my needs - and I could add an S35 player later if need be.

Now I need to investigate suitable (low cost) CD-R blank media to go with the E50 but I guess that's another search/thread.

Cheers, John (close to you in Chandlers Ford).

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    I take it you mean DVD-R media? A few links for you:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/

http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/cdrmedia/listcat.pl?type=cat&id=8

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/

Some of these stores do trial packs of cheap media (i.e. 7 disks of different types). I recommend you get one so you can determine what works and what doesn't before you order a large quantity. There are subtle differences between E50's (different drives used) so what works on one might not work so well on another.

5. johno

johno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak.

I have just ordered an E50 from Multiregion Magic (multiregion & RCE for 249 pounds) along with some decently-priced Ritek DVD-R media which they have tested with E50s and would take back if they didn't work: excellent service.

One last question (for now). I have some home recorded camcorder footage on VHS tape which I'll want to archive onto DVD-R disks. I assume I'll just temporarily replug the SCARTs from VCR out to E50 in and record away or is there anything else to consider?

Thanks once again for the advice - there's a lot to get to get your mind around when starting to look at this technology from scratch.

Cheers, John.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Yeah I just temproaily unplug Sky from AV2 on the DVD recorder and plug in my VCR. You may need a copymate (or picture stabilisation device) but this depends on what you want top copy from VHS, how old it is and how compatible your VCR and E50 are. Most people do not need one.

Your best bet is to hook up the VCR to the DVDR and do a range of tests (onto DVD-RAM) on a variety of VHS tapes. If the quality is acceptable (i.e. no colour loss, red banding etc) you will not need a copymate.

Picture stabilisation devices can be purchased from the likes of:
    http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/
    http://www.keene.co.uk/

But I stress do NOT get one until you run into PQ problems as you probably won't need one.

7. johno

johno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great - thanks.

8. johno

johno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My E50 arrived yesterday from Multiregion Magic (excellent service). The initial setup went smoothly and my first impressions in the limited time I had were very good.
    Thanks for the advice, John O.