Some advice appreciated (virgin media related)

Aloreth

Standard Member
I used to live in a house in Bristol and recently moved into a new flat. I was with virgin media for a year in the old house - i was going to cancel the subscription however they convinced me to get get my internet with them using an ADSL line. They assured me that the line would be a 20Mb capacity and that their speed tests had rated it at least 8 Mb. I lived with 4Mb (I think) in the old house and found that to me easily enough for my needs.

I have now moved in and found that downloading steam games (I have tried downloading from websites as well: same speed). I am getting 45KBps during the day and 20KBps at night. **** *** ****? I had faster internet than that 5 years ago!

Virgin media are fobbing me off and getting me to run speed tests. The website that I am directed to http://speedtester.bt.com indicates that I have a download speed of 1200 kpbs.

Can you think of any valid technical reason for the massive disparity? I can post my pc specs up / router specs if itll help.

Thanks
Mike

graystreet

Can you post your noise Margin and Attenuation figures from your router please?

Also your current sync speed from your router.

Aloreth

Standard Member
I will have a look when i get home. I must admit that whilst I have a reasonable/good understanding of computers in general (been building and fixing them for years). I don't know a huge amount about ADSL in general.

I assume these figures are going to be readily accessible if i log into my router?

Are there any good websites for background reading?

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Virgin media are fobbing me off and getting me to run speed tests. The website that I am directed to http://speedtester.bt.com indicates that I have a download speed of 1200 kpbs.

Can you think of any valid technical reason for the massive disparity? I can post my pc specs up / router specs if itll help.
Please post the whole result from BT speedtester.

What does this site report: /www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you know how to read the speed that the modem in you router is running at (Line Rate), try plugging it into the Test Socket of the Master socket, rebooting it and checking the Line Rate again. If you see an instant increase in Line Rate, it is your internal Wiring that is causing problems.

BTW, routers, modems, etc report speeds in BITS per second and Windows typically BYTES per second. May you be confusing the two?

Last edited:

Aloreth

Standard Member
I had a Netgear for several years that served me well (unfortunately not at home at the moment so not sure what model it is).

The virgin modem that come through the post was an combined ADSL modem / wireless router so just been using that (again will check when i get home)

Mike

Last edited:

Aloreth

Standard Member
I realise after posting that the 1200kbps reported is of course 150KBps which is slightly higher than I would expect. This speed is quite frankly painfull!

Aloreth

Standard Member
www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html just lists that the maximum possible speed is ~8000kbps.

How can i determine what the Margin and Attenuation figures from my router are? Sorry for the newbie question!

I don't know if its any use but my router is:

I have a D-Link DSL-2640R Broadband wireless G ADSL2+ Router

ADSL Modulation :
G.DMT
Cable Status :
ADSL Link Up
Virtual Circuit :
PVC-0PVC-1PVC-2PVC-3PVC-4PVC-5PVC-6PVC-7
Connection Type :
PPPoE/PPPoA

Network Status :
Connected

Connection Up Time :
0:01:26:12

Downstream Line Rate :
8128 kbps

Upstream Line Rate :
448 kbps

MAC Address :
00:24:01:9f:e1:a1

IP Address :

Subnet Mask :

Default Gateway :

Perferred DNS Server :

Alternate DNS Server :

graystreet

This is copied directly from Kitz site.

1. Go to http://192.168.1.1 in your browser
2. Log into the router (default, Username: admin password: admin)
3. From the Top Navigation, click the Status Button
4. From the Left Hand Menu, Select "Statistics".
5. Your line stats are displayed under the "ADSL Statistics" Section.

( Just so you don't think that I knew it from memory:) )

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Your Line Rate is in line with what Virgin told you. That is to say currently 8128 kb/s with a speed increase to expected of up to 20 Mb/s when BT Wholesale install ADSL2+ (WBC) in your Local Exchange. However further comment has to wait for you posting the results of BT speedtester. ?

At the moment things look very good.

Aloreth

Standard Member
I have attached a speed test that I did on thursday.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the speed test shows a DL speed of 1200 kpbs which /8 gives a DL speed of 150KBps. This is slightly above what I have been receiving (managed to scrape 100KBps off peak) but still crazily slow.

When you say things look good, what do you mean? I still don't seem to be able to download anything! Empire total war on steam - about a week and a half!

Ok edit - didnt come out too well. I never set up hosting so ill just copy the detials.

DL Speed 1149 Kbps, max achievable speed 7150 Kbps.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1149 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600 - 7150 Kbps.
Additional info
Your DSL connection rate is 8128 KBps (down) 448 Kbps (up)
IP profile for your line is 7150 Kbps

That isn't KBps is it? I'm right in thinking thats 150KBps which takes forever to download anything

Attachments

• upload.jpg
    upload.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Aloreth

Standard Member
Here are the stats as requested (look at my above post as well if possible!)

LAN Statistics
Interface Received Transmitted BytesPktsErrsDropsBytesPktsErrsDrops Ethernet000083130000 Wireless244145934236180955755655755727021144441122907218218

ADSL Statistics
Mode:G.DMT Type:ANNEX_A Status:Showtime DownstreamUpstream Rate (Kbps): 8128 kbps 448 kbps SNR Margin (dB):10.5 24.0 Attenuation (dB):26.0 15.0 Output Power (dBm):19.5 11.5 Super Frames:49145594914567 RS Correctable Errors:00 RS Uncorrectable Errors:210 HEC Errors:540 Total Cells:1108117858 Data Cells:312062071525182 Bit Errors:00

Thanks all!

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
DL Speed 1149 Kbps, max achievable speed 7150 Kbps.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1149 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600 - 7150 Kbps.
Additional info
Your DSL connection rate is 8128 KBps (down) 448 Kbps (up)
IP profile for your line is 7150 Kbps
Your DSL Rate is extremely good and the IP Profile is in line with it. However based on that IP Profile, your Download speed is appalling. (I would expect closer to just under 7000 kb/s, not what you have: 1149kb/s.)

What this means is that everything on your Line: The modem in your router, the line itself and the DSLAM at the exchange are performing at top speed - literally. That bad download number suggests that something is congested.

There is nothing that you can do about it personally. You will just have to stay on Virgin's case, using the information that I have provided above until they figure out what is causing that bad number and get it fixed.

If you need more explanation please say so.

Aloreth

Standard Member
Thanks beerhunter! your help is much appreciated.

If you ever need the knowledge of an accountant you have but to ask!

I'll give em another call now

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom