• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Some advice and opinion please

L

Lemonjelly09

Help Me Guys I seek opinion from those more educated in AV technology than myself.

OK, so i have finally got the wife to agree to getting a new TV and surround sound and have decided to buy a PANASONIC TXP37X10. I was also looking at the Panasonic SC-BT200 all in one home cinema with blue ray player which is currently available for £415, it has good reviews with HD sound and i like the fact i can plug my ipod in and listen to tunes when I'm on the laptop.

I'm willing to spend a bit extra if i feel i can get a much better set up going with separates maybe around £650 but just looking at the products and deals available, maybe some of you guys would have a better idea of how to spend my budget.

I will be using Sky HD and would like blu-ray in the system and 5.1 speakers and some way of plugging in the pod would but nice but not essential.

As i say i would love to know what you would do.

Last edited by a moderator:

pwood

Use your ears and match budget as best you can. Go to a dealer and get a listen to a few 5.1 systems at different price points. The Panny systems above is okay in that it will do surround sound/BR reasonably well. Richer sounds have plenty of deals around at hard to beat prices in the budget arena. Sign up for their VIP club emails to see what's on offer as a starting point.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would always go separates myself as they offer more connectivity, easier/cheaper to upgrade and tend to sound better.
Within your budget you will be looking at budget HD amps. These start at £250 for the Onkyo 507 (RS are currently doing a VIP deal on the Sony 800 from £280 to £260 I believe).
A popular choice of speaker to pair with these amps are the Tannot SFX 5.1 (£200 also from RS). This would leave you around £200 for a bluray player (Sony/Panasonic budget amps start around £120).
This would get you a great start into separates and an easy place from which to upgrade in the future. If you go for an all in one solution if you ever have to replace/upgrade anything it means buying a whole new system instead of just changing one bit with separates.

L

Lemonjelly09

I would always go separates myself as they offer more connectivity, easier/cheaper to upgrade and tend to sound better.
Within your budget you will be looking at budget HD amps. These start at £250 for the Onkyo 507 (RS are currently doing a VIP deal on the Sony 800 from £280 to £260 I believe).
A popular choice of speaker to pair with these amps are the Tannot SFX 5.1 (£200 also from RS). This would leave you around £200 for a bluray player (Sony/Panasonic budget amps start around £120).
This would get you a great start into separates and an easy place from which to upgrade in the future. If you go for an all in one solution if you ever have to replace/upgrade anything it means buying a whole new system instead of just changing one bit with separates.

I like that Onkyo amp but for speakers i would maybe extend my budget to the Q ACOUSTICS 1010i 5.1 but would prefer floorstanding front speakers, so on a budget of £350 any ideas ?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You could look at the Wharfdale Diamond 9 series. I think you can just about get a set with floorstanders within your budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom