Some advice about Atmos

NeedSomeHelp

Established Member
Reaction score
I could really do with some help from anyone who understands ATMOS.

I'm in the process of setting up a home theatre from scratch with DENON AVR X2700H.

I have presently set it up as 7.1. But, the AVR supports ATMOS - (if I remember reading correctly you install them as rear speakers and do something in the menu).

The issue is my design is still in a state of flux because I have now, after initially installing speakers (7.1), decided to have a second row of seats behind the position of where I had imagined the back speakers would be (and where I have installed them).

So I need to adjust the installation to allow the back seats to also have the full surround effect.

One option I have thought about is making the existing rear speakers the new side speakers and moving the existing side speakers to the rear of the room as new back speakers.

BUT... I was also thinking instead of adding a single ATMOS speaker to the rear of the room directly above the new seats.

Not really understanding ATMOS (or much else about all this TBH) I wondered if that would be an even better solution?

Unfortunately, you can't do that. Atmos needs at least two height channels to work. Your Denon also only has 7 channels of amplification and processing so you can have either a 7.1 system or a 5.1.2 Atmos system.

Unfortunately, you can't do that. Atmos needs at least two height channels to work. Your Denon also only has 7 channels of amplification and processing so you can either have a 7.1 system or a 5.1.2 Atmos system.
Yes, I remember seeing that. So if I went for Atmos 5.1.2 and I added two Dolby atmos speakers above the rear seats, would that be better or worse than 7.1?

Apologies in advance if these are just stupid questions. That's what happens when you try to learn on the job.

Also, I'll be watching 4k UHD Discs to experience the cinema, so if these 4Ks are not Dolby Atmos and they are 7.1 then I suppose it's pointless anyway?

Also, I'll be watching 4k UHD Discs to experience the cinema, so if these 4Ks are not Dolby Atmos and they are 7.1 then I suppose it's pointless anyway?
Nope, if not Atmos, you can engage Dolby SURROUND which will upmix to all available speakers. It will even upmix TV programs broadcast in two channels to all speakers.

There is a very simple reason for this: Dolby did not want ceiling speakers and upfiring speakers to be exclusively used to play Blu-ray discs with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. To this end, the current iteration of Dolby Surround post-processing technology is capable of sending a stereo, 5.1, or 7.1 signal to ceiling speakers, but it can also upmix the same signal for 4, 5 or 7 standard speakers. More efficient than previous iterations, the new Dolby surround technology offers a higher dynamic range as well as a more natural and more detailed image.

Full article here:
DTS Neural:X and Dolby Surround: the new post-processing technologies from Dolby and DTS - Son-Vidéo.com: blog

Nope, if not Atmos, you can engage Dolby SURROUND which will upmix to all available speakers. It will even upmix TV programs broadcast in two channels to all speakers.

There is a very simple reason for this: Dolby did not want ceiling speakers and upfiring speakers to be exclusively used to play Blu-ray discs with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. To this end, the current iteration of Dolby Surround post-processing technology is capable of sending a stereo, 5.1, or 7.1 signal to ceiling speakers, but it can also upmix the same signal for 4, 5 or 7 standard speakers. More efficient than previous iterations, the new Dolby surround technology offers a higher dynamic range as well as a more natural and more detailed image.

Full article here:
DTS Neural:X and Dolby Surround: the new post-processing technologies from Dolby and DTS - Son-Vidéo.com: blog
Great. So, would ATMOS 5.1.2 would that be better than 7.1?

If you want Atmos and only want 2 heights they should be at front rather than rear, so just in front of the main listening position and aiming towards the main seats.

If you were to mount the two speakers on the ceiling overhead forward of the seating I would say 5.1.2 but if mounting height speakers on the rear wall they would be in the same place as the rear surround speakers just higher up.

I have four height speakers for Atmos as my room is a lounge not a dedicated home cinema. It works but I am aware that if they were mounted above me it would probably be better.

When I got my current receiver I had a 7.1 layout and was watching bits and pieces from different films to get a feel for how it sounded and I was playing a clip from 'Jack Reacher Never Look Back' and it sounded different, but in a good way. It was an outside city scene and all the ambient background noise sounded more separated and layered as if the street traffic sounded nearer than the distant general city noise. I looked at the receiver and it was displaying Dolby Atmos.

Though I knew the receiver could do Atmos it was a maybe future thing rather than a right now thing, but that one clip sealed the deal and I was shopping for four height speakers. :)

You could consider going for a 5.1 setup, keeping your options open for the rear surround or height speakers as the same speakers can be used for both. You could then mount them temporarily and see which configuration you prefer.

Yes, I remember seeing that. So if I went for Atmos 5.1.2 and I added two Dolby atmos speakers above the rear seats, would that be better or worse than 7.1?

Apologies in advance if these are just stupid questions. That's what happens when you try to learn on the job.

It'll be down to personal preference and which one works best in your particular room. 7.1 can sound excellent but so can 5.1.2. when they're both set up correctly.

Could be worth considering an AVR upgrade to one that has 9 channels (or more) for 7.1.2.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom