Some 6.1 speaker placement pics for you to look at

A

alphasmith

Anyone got any comments on the attached pics (no laughing), the red boxes show where I plan to put the rest of the speaker. The oval is meant to be my head lol

Centre front : On bracket attached to wall to stop little people playing with it, distance from wall to front of LCD is 8 inches.

Centre rear : Behing seated position. Distance from wall to ears is 18inches though.

Surround rears : Mounted on side walls on Maplins adjustable stands, pointing towards listener aprox 100-120 degrees.

Just got a few q's though:

1) Should there be a clear 'line of sight' between ears and surround rears? Obviously the sofa headrest could block this potentially.

2) Is centre rear going to sound ok right behind my head, or should it be to one side slightly (or even omitted)?

Thanks for reading!!!

Attachments

• DSCN2931a.jpg
    DSCN2931a.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 634
  • DSCN2932.jpg
    DSCN2932.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN2933.jpg
    DSCN2933.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 407
I would say the rear speakers are to low and need to be at least 1 mtr or higher above ear hight, they will sound very localised at the height you want to put them.

I would say the rear speakers are to low and need to be at least 1 mtr or higher above ear hight, they will sound very localised at the height you want to put them.

Thanks will take your advice, but should the rears be pointing towards the listeners ears or mounted flat on the side wall (i.e. pointing at each-other)?

Also should the centre rear be angled down towards the listener also?

Thanks for your patience :smashin:

I would have the rear sides point at each other, and experiment with directing the speakers towards the listner and pointing them away to see what works in your room for you.
I would recomend some bipole speakers for the sides.

Would love to get some bipoles but am on a budget at the moment, just got the cheap and cheerful Sony SSP88 6.1 package from Richer Sounds until I can afford the ones I want.

I was going to mount the left and right rears on Maplins brackets (see photos) which are fully adjustable, and mount the centre rear on a fixed right angle bracket.

Can you see any problems with this, or would it be acoustically better to mount the rear left & right direct onto the wall? (speakers have a built in hook eyelet)

Pics attached, as they say they paint a thousand words.

Thanks again for your continued advice :smashin:

Attachments

• DSCN2936.jpg
    DSCN2936.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN2937.jpg
    DSCN2937.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN2938.jpg
    DSCN2938.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN2939.jpg
    DSCN2939.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 134
I think mounting the the speakers on brackets will help isolate the speakers from the wall, and will sound better than using the eyelets

thekingbeyond can't thank you enough for all your advice :smashin: :smashin: - now all I have to do is get installing :D

alphasmith i'm hopeing you can help me. I have the same speakers as yourself but i'm struggleing to find the correct brackets for the wall. Can you tell me where you got your brackets from?

Thanks,

Smaz.

alphasmith i'm hopeing you can help me. I have the same speakers as yourself but i'm struggleing to find the correct brackets for the wall. Can you tell me where you got your brackets from?

Thanks,

Smaz.

Looking at the pictures posted earlier, it seems that the op got them from here.

Yeah i noticed that but i'm a little sceptical about buying stuff from that region of the world. I was really hoping that there would be a UK reseller.

Oh well..

Smaz.

Yeah i noticed that but i'm a little sceptical about buying stuff from that region of the world. I was really hoping that there would be a UK reseller.

Oh well..

Smaz.

I think he got them from maplins, see post 5:thumbsup:

I think he got them from maplins, see post 5:thumbsup:

You are correct - Maplins order code L98AB priced £7.99 per pair, hope you still have enough time to get them for X-mas Smaz :)

PS- Fitted most of the speakers now, will post some pics when all done

Alphasmith, im looking at getting these Sony SSP88 speakers, can you tell me what connect the sub has, does in connect to your amp via an phono type plug or is it just a bradded wire connection

Alphasmith, im looking at getting these Sony SSP88 speakers, can you tell me what connect the sub has, does in connect to your amp via an phono type plug or is it just a bradded wire connection

Hi lettuce, the sub connects via phono plug.

Thanks for the reply, do you get a phono lead with the sub??

Thanks for the reply, do you get a phono lead with the sub??

No, got mine from Mark Grant's website. Also theres no instructions come with the speakers, they are part of a package which has been discontinued from Sony, so the speakers are being sold off. I'm happy with mine for the price I can't grumble :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom