Some 3D movies play in letterbox not full screen any ideas please?

Sacro

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just got an LG 42LM3400 TV and the 3D looks amazing but for some reason there are movies I can't play full screen. Journey To The Centre Of The Earth and Coraline both play full screen in 3D, Avatar and Polar Express do not. The option to change ratio seems to be disabled while in 3D.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

if the tv will not zoom up the picture size there may be buttons on your blu ray players remote to do so....aspect ratio troll alert.....lol

if the tv will not zoom up the picture size there may be buttons on your blu ray players remote to do so....aspect ratio troll alert.....lol

I can't change the aspect ratio on these 3D movies though even before I press the 3D button. I don't know what you mean about zooming I'll have a look, just got the TV so I don't know what it does or doesn't do lol.

The weird thing is I have a Samsung 46 inch downstairs (the LG is in the bedroom) and it's active 3D not passive and it scaled Avatar perfectly but the LG won't.

Personally I hate watching movies in the wrong aspect ratio but all the same I'm surprised you can't adjust it.

As suggested, you should also be able to change from your media/blu-ray player aspect controls.

Personally I hate watching movies in the wrong aspect ratio but all the same I'm surprised you can't adjust it.

As suggested, you should also be able to change from your media/blu-ray player aspect controls.

It's not the wrong aspect ratio though is it? Avatar must surely support 16:9 on any TV. Some of this stuff I'm playing on PS3 bluray and some on a USB external drive plugged into the TV.

I need to adjust the aspect ratio on the TV but I can't. It gives me two options: full (which gives me the black borders) or original which gives me a small picture in the middle of the screen.

I'm going to have to read through the manual there must be some way to do it on this TV. I love the TV but this is really annoying.

It's not the wrong aspect ratio though is it? Avatar must surely support 16:9 on any TV.
Full 16:9 mode will normally, as you say, maintain aspect but if necessary crop the image to fit - which personally I don't like - but everyone to their own :)

I need to adjust the aspect ratio on the TV but I can't. It gives me two options: full (which gives me the black borders) or original which gives me a small picture in the middle of the screen
That's odd as that suggests to me the source resolution is very low if you're getting that from using 'original' :confused:

Don't own your particular set myself but surely it must have more than 2 aspect ratio settings ?

Hmmm....sounds like you actually have letterboxed 4:3 versions of some of these films. Are they actually original 3D Blurays (unlikely for Avatar - that should be full-screen 16:9 AFAIK) or something you're playing from a USB drive?

Not sure about your model of tv but you can't usually change the aspect ratio on 3d material as it throws the 3d way out and doesn't really work.

Some films are 1.78-1 and some are 2.39-1 the later will always have black bars top and bottom.

until the OP confirms the source of avatar 3D he is using we won't know.

The official 3D bluray is 16:9, but it was shown in some 3D cinemas in 2.35:1. If the later is the source, then that would explain the black bars.

Chances are that Avatar is being played off the USB drive and has been ripped incorrectly. It's definitely a "full-screen" film, though if ripped with the black borders and then played back it could look wrong.

Coraline is 1.85:1 so it should have black borders at the top/bottom. If you want to stretch/zoom and your TV doesn't allow it then if memory serves correct, the PS3 should be able to do that.

Avatar is being played on a PS3 on bluray. Coraline works fine.

I found the controls on the TV to adjust certain things, it doesn't always work but I'm disappointed the TV doesn't 'guess' which format and picture size I'm playing I suppose we're not quite in the future just yet.

My Samsung downstairs plays everything full screen and at max resolution. The LG doesn't, you have to mess about with it and tell it what's going on. Even on the PS3 it doesn't detect which res the game is playing in the way the Samsung does. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Passive 3D is amazing though, totally blows the active 3D on the Samsung out the window. If there's a resolution drop I can't see it nor can anyone else who watches it.

According to the manual you have the following options:

SETTINGS ➾ PICTURE ➙ Aspect Ratio

Selects the screen aspect ratio.

• 16:9: Resizes images to fit the screen width.

• Just Scan: Displays video images in the original size without removing parts of the edge of the image.
✎✎In DTV, Component, HDMI, and DVI (over 720p) mode, Just Scan is available.

• Original: When your TV receives a wide screen signal it will automatically
change to the picture format broadcasted.

• Full Wide: When TV receives the wide screen signal, it will let you adjust the picture horizontally or vertically, in a linear proportion,to fill the entire screen fully. 4:3 and 14:9 video is supported in full screen without any video distortion through DTV input.

✎✎In Analogue/DTV/AV/Scart mode, Full Wide is available.

• 4:3: Resizes images to the previous standard 4:3.

• 14:9: You can view a picture format of 14:9 or a general TV programme in the 14:9 mode. The 14:9 screen is viewed in the same way as in 4:3, but is moved up or down.

• Zoom: Resizes images to fit the screen width. The top and bottom parts of the image may be cut off.

• Cinema Zoom: Choose Cinema Zoom when you want to enlarge the picture in correct proportion.

✎✎While viewing an external device, these cases may result in image burn:
- a video with stationary caption (such as network name)
- 4 : 3 aspect ratio mode for an extended period
Take caution when using these functions.

✎✎Available picture size may differ depending on the input signal.
✎✎The screen aspect ratios on HDMI/RGB-PC input are available in 4:3 and 16:9 only. (Only for models supporting PC connection)

Have you tried SETTINGS ➾ PICTURE ➙ Aspect Ratio ???

Sacro said:
Avatar is being played on a PS3 on bluray. Coraline works fine.

I found the controls on the TV to adjust certain things, it doesn't always work but I'm disappointed the TV doesn't 'guess' which format and picture size I'm playing I suppose we're not quite in the future just yet.

My Samsung downstairs plays everything full screen and at max resolution. The LG doesn't, you have to mess about with it and tell it what's going on. Even on the PS3 it doesn't detect which res the game is playing in the way the Samsung does. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Passive 3D is amazing though, totally blows the active 3D on the Samsung out the window. If there's a resolution drop I can't see it nor can anyone else who watches it.

I couldnt agree less im afraid. Active 3D is superior to passive, you should instantly see that with Avatar. The pop and depth are fine with passive but i feel tend to have a dull image.

After seeing Avatar on all Panasonic tvs at once in 3D and it being glorious im afraid its either just your tv or blu ray thats screwed.

I will be kind and lean towards blu ray. Where did you buy it from, ebay ? Most ebay copies of Avatar 3D are fake. They just get the 3D file and burn it to a blu ray. You can tell most of them just by the cover as some dont have the 3D logo and none will have the Panasonic exclusive writing at bottom of cover.

If in real doubt take it to nearest retailer and get a demo on a VT there saying your thinking of buying.

According to the manual you have the following options:

Have you tried SETTINGS ➾ PICTURE ➙ Aspect Ratio ???

Thanks pixel I found this stuff myself, I'm going to play around with it today. The remote has an aspect ratio button that doesn't have any of these options they are buried in sub menus that's what confused me.

I couldnt agree less im afraid. Active 3D is superior to passive, you should instantly see that with Avatar. The pop and depth are fine with passive but i feel tend to have a dull image.

After seeing Avatar on all Panasonic tvs at once in 3D and it being glorious im afraid its either just your tv or blu ray thats screwed.

I will be kind and lean towards blu ray. Where did you buy it from, ebay ? Most ebay copies of Avatar 3D are fake. They just get the 3D file and burn it to a blu ray. You can tell most of them just by the cover as some dont have the 3D logo and none will have the Panasonic exclusive writing at bottom of cover.

If in real doubt take it to nearest retailer and get a demo on a VT there saying your thinking of buying.

I've watched a few 3D movies on this TV and they look anything but dull they are very bright and clear. It's not the TV, it's probably my copy of Avatar. It's no biggie, I was mainly concerned I couldn't adjust aspect ratios easily on the TV.

If you see the info pasted above it says the TV will automatically adjust to the best screen size, this isn't always true. On my Samsung active it does, but it's a much more expensive television. Active 3D on that TV is what I would call 'dull', it's very dark and not very clear at all. It doesn't seem to be any higher res than watching 3D on the passive.

I accept active TV's at least the very recent models are vastly improved in this respect but I can only give my own experiences. The main thing is I see no noticeable drop in resolution on the passive in 3D and that's coming from a PC gamer who notices any increase or decrease in resolution straight away so my eyes are quite sensitive to this.

Sacro said:
Thanks pixel I found this stuff myself, I'm going to play around with it today. The remote has an aspect ratio button that doesn't have any of these options they are buried in sub menus that's what confused me.

I've watched a few 3D movies on this TV and they look anything but dull they are very bright and clear. It's not the TV, it's probably my copy of Avatar. It's no biggie, I was mainly concerned I couldn't adjust aspect ratios easily on the TV.

If you see the info pasted above it says the TV will automatically adjust to the best screen size, this isn't always true. On my Samsung active it does, but it's a much more expensive television. Active 3D on that TV is what I would call 'dull', it's very dark and not very clear at all. It doesn't seem to be any higher res than watching 3D on the passive.

I accept active TV's at least the very recent models are vastly improved in this respect but I can only give my own experiences. The main thing is I see no noticeable drop in resolution on the passive in 3D and that's coming from a PC gamer who notices any increase or decrease in resolution straight away so my eyes are quite sensitive to this.

Ok so were ignoring where you got the Avatar from and testing it elsewhere.

Playing other blu rays isnt the issue if its the Avatar disc that is.

Yes well agree to disagree but passive just isnt as good.

Your experience with the samsung isnt 3D its just the Samsung that doesn't look good. 3D is an effect if you got depth and pop thats your 3D. The colour and black representation is all tv.

Go try the settings and see if you can change it. After that you can plan any needed next moves.

Comments like this are commonly found on this Forum

These comments on the other hand seem very much restricted to just your opinion

Your experience with the samsung isnt 3D its just the Samsung that doesn't look good. 3D is an effect if you got depth and pop thats your 3D. The colour and black representation is all tv.
I'd say from someone who owns both sets (such as Sacro) then it might be a good idea to respect their opinion don't you think :rolleyes:

Ok so were ignoring where you got the Avatar from and testing it elsewhere.

Playing other blu rays isnt the issue if its the Avatar disc that is.

Go try the settings and see if you can change it. After that you can plan any needed next moves.

I got Avatar from a computer shop. It's full screen on the Samsung and not on the LG. That's where I'm at right now. I'll mess with the options again later.

It might be worth mentioning my Samsung is LED. I've heard active is much better on plasma than LED so that could explain why I'm not impressed with the Samsung 3D as well. The 2D picture is stunning in HD though it's just 3D that does not impress.

I got Avatar from a computer shop. It's full screen on the Samsung and not on the LG. That's where I'm at right now. I'll mess with the options again later.
I admit that does seem rather odd :confused:

As I fairly safe rule you should select "Just Scan mode" on the LG for the best possible image quality.

Jason Shouler said:
Comments like this are commonly found on this Forum

These comments on the other hand seem very much restricted to just your opinion

I'd say from someone who owns both sets (such as Sacro) then it might be a good idea to respect their opinion don't you think :rolleyes:

You say respect his opinion while trying to assassinate mine.

The passive looks as good as active argument is well documented yes but its not one i agree with and speaking from a technical standpoint passive is not as good as active.

If your happy with passive then all the power to you but i dont buy into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sacro said:

It might be worth mentioning my Samsung is LED. I've heard active is much better on plasma than LED so that could explain why I'm not impressed with the Samsung 3D as well. The 2D picture is stunning in HD though it's just 3D that does not impress.

1) sorry if its felt bit like an attack ive got father issues. He argues the hell out over me saying how is passive not full 3D and does my head in. So first sorry about that

2) samsung plasma with 3D is still let down by the tv imo. Panasonic's this year are better. Even panny LED is miles better than sammys. The gap there is probably even bigger. No stupid chrome or cameras and hand gestures. Just a great picture.

The computer shop thing worries me as the deal was exclusive to panasonic stores. Im now highly suspicious of this disc now.

You say respect his opinion while trying to assassinate mine.
What's your opinion based on though - are you able to view both in your house for example ?

The passive looks as good as active argument is well documented yes but its not one i agree with and speaking from a technical standpoint passive is not as good as active.
Do this not say it all ;)

Given the evidence it's easy to demonstrate passive is a superior technology but please lets not trash this thread over it (this thread's about 3D aspect format remember).

Plenty of active vs passive threads if you want a continue on one of those (just Search for one) and I'll respond to you there if you want :)

Last edited:
I got Avatar from a computer shop.

You know that Avatar 3D hasn't been officially released yet, and was only included with some Panasonic TVs over the last year?

Has this 'computer shop' sold you the real deal (taken out of a Panasonic TV bundle, or 2nd hand) or a copy that might be confusing the settings on your TV?

How big are the black bars exactly? Are they big, like a 2.35:1 widescreen film on a 16:9 (1.78:1) TV might be? Or just tiny, as a 1.85:1 film might appear.

If it is just tiny black bars, you might try the overscan options in your settings.
It could be that you think your samsung is handling it correctly but it may just be a difference because of the overscan settings and the samsung is overscanning and the LG is not.

Jason Shouler said:
What's your opinion based on though - are you able to view both in your house for example ?

Do this not say it all ;)

Given the evidence it's easy to demonstrate passive is a superior technology but please lets not trash this thread over if (this thread's about 3D aspect format remember).

Plenty of active vs passive threads if you want a continue on one of those (just Search for one) and I'll respond to you there if you want :)

Theres no point discussing it your in the passive fanboy bandwagon and entered the thread just to confront me. You offer no evidence just opinion ( same as me as this isnt the place for that ) yet Nothing i say will make a bit of difference to what you think so there is no point. I dont know why your in an argumentative mood but i am not and dont wish to be be involved in childish behaviour. I recognise the cheap user friendly nature of passive and how it allows for a more affordable unit and affordability. But picture quality is not as good imo and thats what i believe. Now let that be and end to it.

Im just curious about the disc now as thats what we need to get to the bottom of as i believe this could be the OP's problem due to the questionable nature in which it was acquired.

loz said:
You know that Avatar 3D hasn't been officially released yet, and was only included with some Panasonic TVs over the last year?

Has this 'computer shop' sold you the real deal (taken out of a Panasonic TV bundle, or 2nd hand) or a copy that might be confusing the settings on your TV?

How big are the black bars exactly? Are they big, like a 2.35:1 widescreen film on a 16:9 (1.78:1) TV might be? Or just tiny, as a 1.85:1 film might appear.

If it is just tiny black bars, you might try the overscan options in your settings.
It could be that you think your samsung is handling it correctly but it may just be a difference because of the overscan settings and the samsung is overscanning and the LG is not.

Overscan an zoom functions i believe should not work in 3D as it would destroy the effect.

I still want to know what does the case say on it. Does it have a 3D log and have panasonic mentioned front and back. What does the disc look like.

Its not uncommon for people to make these fakes and sell them on as part exchanges etc. places buy them thinking they're being cunning as theres a big profit for Avatar 3D then they flog it to someone ad find they've all been conned.

Has op tried the setting yet i wonder.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom