• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SOLVED - Sub hum, lots of tests 99% sure it's the amp?

SpamJavelin

My sub has been humming for a while and these are the results of my tests:

1. Disconnect phono cable = no hum
  2. New sub cable = hum
  3. Plug sub into same 4 gang as the amp = hum
  4. Different sub = hum
  5. Unplug all speakers = hum
  6. Unplug HDMI but not speakers from the sub = no hum
  7. Add HDMI one at a time (Chromecast, PS3, Sky) hum increases gradually!
So, I reckon something is up with the amp (Onkyo TX-NR609). Even if you don't fully plug in the HDMI from a switched-off component and just touch the case the sub hum increases. Unfortunately I don't have a spare receiver to test with.

Anything else I can test or is it definitely the amp - and can I fix it?

Many thanks.

SpamJavelin

Oh and the sub still hums even if the amp isn't plugged in. Grounding problem in the amp?
I can take the whole setup into work and try there to see if it's a problem with my electrics. Just trying to narrow it down!

SpamJavelin

After a couple of weeks of headscratching and trying more cable / plug combinations and adding a filter nothing was doing the trick. I knew it was a grounding problem and it was only when I actually tried setting up the whole thing in a separate room that I noticed the obvious problem - them receive isn't grounded at all. The thing has a plastic earth pin so no wonder there was a problem with ground loop hum. My TV, PS4 and Chromecast don't have earth connections either, only the sub.

So, a bit of rewiring and the problem is 'solved' by lifting the ground on the sub. Far from ideal but what other solution is there - manually ground every other piece of electrical equipment plugged into the amp?

MemX

Thanks for your feedback on this issue - I have epic hum that comes and goes on my system, it's damn annoying... lol

It gets much worse when you switch the oven on - what's that all about?! :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom