[SOLVED] Screen jitter issues with PS5 on LG C9 OLED

Ultrasonic

60 Hz is always going to look smoother than 30 Hz, that's the point...

Nikkk

Novice Member
60 Hz is always going to look smoother than 30 Hz, that's the point...
actually with LG motion settings you cannot differ between 30 and 60 fps. that is the nice thing about LG Oled Tv'S, that you can play 30 fps in 4K. but Sony and/or LG fudgeed it up to make 30 fps smooth like in the past.

Ultrasonic

actually with LG motion settings you cannot differ between 30 and 60 fps. that is the nice thing about LG Oled Tv'S, that you can play 30 fps in 4K. but Sony and/or LG fudgeed it up to make 30 fps smooth like in the past.
For gaming you really shouldn't be using any motion settings. If you're happy with them in use then carry on but this really isn't something most would do due to the increased input lag.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Demon's souls at 30fps is dreadful, nowhere near as nice as miles morales at the same rate. Its fizzy and so sluggish.
Does anyone with an LG c or b x get 119 fps on cold War when they repeatedly press the green button on the remote?

Ultrasonic

just bought "the pathless" for PS5 and now there is the judder again in graphics mode (30fps i guess).
I just thought I'd add it's possible to get your C9 to show you the frame rate. Go into settings, go down to Programmes, go right to Programme Tuning & Settings and then press the 1 key five times.

This may be a dumb suggestion but just in case it helps you might want to try seeing if using Game Mode but disabling Instant Game Response (VRR) helps at all. This video shows you where the setting is (about 2 minutes in):

Nikkk

Novice Member
Ultrasonic, i tried what you said. I also set the 4K transfer to -2. nothing helps here. i am very curious if this game is an exception, or others will follow with that problem. in any case, this sucks.

Barney Gumble

For gaming you really shouldn't be using any motion settings. If you're happy with them in use then carry on but this really isn't something most would do due to the increased input lag.

I agree but, I don't limit it to gaming, I just don't use motion settings full stop.

Nikkk

Novice Member
update: demon's souls runs smooth as it should on cinematic mode on LG C9. it seems "The Pathless" has troubles with their Cinematic mode. I will write them a case what is going on there. Furthermore i hope, that there will not be any more games with motion stutter in the future....

Ultrasonic

I agree but, I don't limit it to gaming, I just don't use motion settings full stop.
I have all motion processing disabled across the board too but I was focusing on the topic at hand :) .

Ultrasonic

update: demon's souls runs smooth as it should on cinematic mode on LG C9. it seems "The Pathless" has troubles with their Cinematic mode. I will write them a case what is going on there. Furthermore i hope, that there will not be any more games with motion stutter in the future....
What do you mean by 'Cinematic mode'? Are you referring to a game or TV setting?

Nikkk

Novice Member
High resolution mode of the games. I will always use high res since LG Oled does the job of offering terrific motion. So I do not need 60fps.

Ultrasonic

High resolution mode of the games. I will always use high res since LG Oled does the job of offering terrific motion. So I do not need 60fps.

I would suggest that your recent experience suggests otherwise...

Ultrasonic

I'll just add that I really don't think LG would be expecting people to be using motion processing for gaming.

Nikkk

Novice Member
Maybe that is your and other people's preference. I do not see a big difference in 60 fps and LG true motion OFF or 30 fps WITH LG true motion. i think we should not discuss this preferences. fact is, "The Pathless" does not do the job good in resolution mode and i hope they will respond to my inquiry.

Barney Gumble

I'll just add that I really don't think LG would be expecting people to be using motion processing for gaming.

The way the LG OLEDs handle motion is one of their few downsides when compared to the Panasonic OLEDs or the king or motion processing, the Sony's but, the (current) Sony's suffer with terrible lag and poor peak brightness.

I wouldn't dream of introducing additional processing into my viewing habits, and definitely not when it comes to gaming.

What's the point of having one of the quickest TVs available when it comes to lag and then enabling processing?! It's like attaching a caravan to an Aston Martin:facepalm:.

Ultrasonic

Maybe that is your and other people's preference. I do not see a big difference in 60 fps and LG true motion OFF or 30 fps WITH LG true motion. i think we should not discuss this preferences. fact is, "The Pathless" does not do the job good in resolution mode and i hope they will respond to my inquiry.

It's a preference just so long as you realise what you are trading off, which is a drop in responsiveness due to the input lag introduced. I'm saying this just in case you're only going off quick visual comparisons rather than proper gameplay testing.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Play demon's souls at thirty then sixty and tell me you you don't need sixty because your TV makes 60 redundant.
I've not read such a crock of cack in years.

Nikkk

Novice Member
Play demon's souls at thirty then sixty and tell me you you don't need sixty because your TV makes 60 redundant.
I've not read such a crock of cack in years.
as i said, OLED does all the work. try it yourself. but again, this was not the subject of this discussion.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
as i said, OLED does all the work. try it yourself. but again, this was not the subject of this discussion.
It really doesn’t.

Nikkk

Novice Member
update: "Control" does a fantastic job with LG C9.
Furthermore i talked with LG several times. They said firmware 05.00.10 addressed the jitter issue. But still they are working on it for corrections. New firmware date not confirmed yet. "The Pathless" support did not react yet about jitter issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom