[SOLVED] Screen jitter issues with PS5 on LG C9 OLED

surfvvax

Novice Member
I recently purchased a PS5 and was excited to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 on my LG OLED C9. I got everything hooked up, and let everything setup to the detected hardware and the recommended settings. My LG C9 brought up a notice stating that it was switching to “HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color” setting, which is the first time I have seen this setting on my TV, but understand that it is necessary to display the best possible picture. After everything was finished setting up, I started playing a couple of games (God of War with PS5 4k 60fps patch, and Astro’s Playroom) and immediately noticed something was off with both games. The refresh rate is slightly jittery and not silky smooth like it should be at 60fps, which both games claim to be able to achieve. The screen motion is even slightly jittery in the PS5 user interface, which is not a graphically demanding application at all. That suggests to me that the input device is struggling to accept the high bandwidth signal from the PS5. Even my PS4 Pro looked much smoother with God of War running in performance mode, which doesn’t even achieve a consistent 60fps. I turned on both the PS5 and PS4 Pro, and switched between HDMI channels to do a direct head to head comparison, just to make sure I wasn’t going crazy. The PS5 is noticeably running choppy and jittery compared to the PS4 Pro. I understand that the PS4 Pro is far less demanding, and only utilizes HDMI 2.0 output with lower screen resolution, but that shouldn’t matter since the PS5 and LG C9 both claim to be able to handle the higher bandwidth of HDMI 2.1. I have tried setting it up with both the supplied HDMI 2.1 cable that comes with the PS5, and a more robust Audioquest “Forest 48” cable, which claims to be able to handle 8K/10k 48Gbps data transfer. I also tried all the different HDMI inputs on my LG OLED C9, despite the claim that they all have HDMI 2.1 functionality. As expected, I encountered the same issue on all ports. Also of note, I am hooking up directly from the PS5 to the C9 HDMI ports. The software version I am running for the LG C9 is 05.00.03, which is apparently the latest.

After some online research, it turns out the only way to address this problem (that I found) is to go into the PS5 “Screen and Video” menu and access the "4k video transfer rate" setting, and switch it from the default “Automatic”, which is full RGB 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, to “-1”, which restricts it to YUV422 chroma subsampling. After trying this, it did address the jitter issues, but the colors are noticeably less deep and vibrant now. Switching it to “-1” compresses the chroma subsampling down to 4:2:2 (from the default RGB 4:4:4), which downgrades the color reproduction noticeably, and restricts the overall bandwidth transfer down to HDMI 2.0, effectively removing the HDMI 2.1 functionality from a TV which claims to have fully HDMI 2.1 capabilities. This also means I won’t be able to achieve 4k at 120Hz. You can see the full list of limitations here I found under “4k video transfer rate”:

Another thing I noticed when switching it from “Automatic” to "-1" is that the sound volume noticeably decreases, which also suggests audio compression.

While changing the 4k video transfer rate down to “-1” does address the refresh rate and jitter issue, it is obviously not the ideal solution, and seems to only be a “fix” aimed at TVs which do not offer HDMI 2.1 support. Has anyone else had similar issues with their LG C9 OLED? I’ve found a couple of similar issues here on Reddit, but I have not found any good solutions, aside from lowering the chroma subsampling, which basically just turns your C9 back to HDMI 2.0 TV. The LG C9 claims to support HDMI 2.1 functionality, but this experience is making me doubt that claim.

Ultrasonic

After some online research, it turns out the only way to address this problem (that I found) is to go into the PS5 “Screen and Video” menu and access the "4k video transfer rate" setting, and switch it from the default “Automatic”, which is full RGB 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, to “-1”, which restricts it to YUV422 chroma subsampling.
I've not experienced the issue you describe with my C9 despite the PS5 setting you've changed still being in Automatic. The only Video Output change I have made in the PS5 settings is to set the RGB Range to Limited (and correspondingly the Black Level on the TV to Low).

The rest of TV settings are as in the following video for the CX model. Are yours?

surfvvax

Novice Member
I've not experienced the issue you describe with my C9 despite the PS5 setting you've changed still being in Automatic. The only Video Output change I have made in the PS5 settings is to set the RGB Range to Limited (and correspondingly the Black Level on the TV to Low).

The rest of TV settings are as in the following video for the CX model. Are yours?

Holy crap, bro. That video revealed exactly what was wrong. My Picture Mode was in "Standard", which it should have been in Game mode. I figured everything would default properly, but apparently that setting doesn't automatically change. Thank you so much for the reply!

surfvvax

Novice Member

I have another question. Why do you set your RGB range to "Limited"? I saw him set it like that in the video, but it didn't really make sense to me. Aren't you limiting the color gamut when you do that, as opposed to leaving it on "Automatic"?

Ultrasonic

I have another question. Why do you set your RGB range to "Limited"? I saw him set it like that in the video, but it didn't really make sense to me. Aren't you limiting the color gamut when you do that, as opposed to leaving it on "Automatic"?

If you Google you'll see lots of discussion about this. I don't know enough to comment but take the view that Vincent Teoh seems to know what he's talking about so I've just followed his advice and am happy with the results.

The following may be of interest if you haven't seen it, which will affect the dynamic range:

Ultrasonic

I've been doing a spot of Googling to check I'm not missing a trick on the RGB setting...

I think it may be that the best reason to go with Limited/Low when using a C9 is that it means you won't get an incompatibiity introduced should you ever use 120 Hz game modes (see links below). It may also prevent issues with any SDR games or other content in SDR like blu-rays.

Last edited:

surfvvax

Novice Member
I've been doing a spot of Googling to check I'm not missing a trick on the RGB setting...

I think it may be that the best reason to go with Limited/Low when using a C9 is that it means you won't get an incompatibiity introduced should you ever use 120 Hz game modes (see links below). It may also prevent issues with any SDR games or other content in SDR like blu-rays.

Thank you for all of your replies. You have been very helpful!

Nikkk

Novice Member
After serious testing with old and nieuw games I am proud to share a solution. The even most positive thing is: I must not use GAME mode on the TV. Result: we can choose again our own favourite motion blur routines like in the past. And I can continue to use technicolor expert mode for the PS, which has more options than game mode.

PS5 settings:

4K transfer rate: -1
Adjust HDR: do it after all settings are done
RGB range: Limited (---> on LG TV black point LOW)
sound: had to set it to dolby or dts. otherwise no sound

LG Oled C9:

any picture mode except GAME mode.
audio: HDMI ARC "through". eARC ON
choose whatever motion mode you prefer.

i am so happy i can use the PS5 the same way i used the PS4 Pro with the Oled.
LG has such a fantastic motion blur, that even with 60fps i would not want to miss it!
it can, because now GAME mode is off....!

nik

Barney Gumble

You have to set the RGB to match your screen. If you're using a monitor, you may set it to full (check black level setting on monitor first) but, with a TV, you don't leave the RGB level on 'automatic' because if there is a mismatch between these settings on PS5 and TV, you will see crushed shadow details, highlight details or similar issues.

As long as the settings on the PlayStation and the screen match, that's fine.

So, black level low on the TV means you set the RGB to limited accordingly, not automatic.

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

LG has such a fantastic motion blur, that even with 60fps i would not want to miss it!
I'm pleased you're happy with your solution but bear in mind there will be a significant increase in input lag outside of game mode, especially if motion processing is enabled, which is something most gamers would like to avoid. I've gone from a PS4 to a PS5 without any issue that needs addressing, although possibly I've been lucky with the games chosen. I am struggling with why the PS5 should be worse though.

I'll add that I don't use any motion processing even for TV/movies due to the unwanted soap opera effect.

Barney Gumble

I'm pleased you're happy with your solution but bear in mind there will be a significant increase in input lag outside of game mode, especially if motion processing is enabled, which is something most gamers would like to avoid. I've gone from a PS4 to a PS5 without any issue that needs addressing, although possibly I've been lucky with the games chosen. I am struggling with why the PS5 should be worse though.

I'll add that I don't use any motion processing even for TV/movies due to the unwanted soap opera effect.

+1 to this.

If anyone feels they're really suffering with image blur, there's an option that can be enabled under the accessibility options on the PS5 itself.

I have a C9 and don't enable HDR on the PS5 by default. So, for the best PQ and colour accuracy I use the same Expert Dark Room option I do for all SDR content, an option that has nearly all processing disabled with the exception of tru motion (which I also disable).

Edit; I should add, if you leave the HDR option enabled on the PS5, the Game preset on the LGs will allow you to utilise HGiG too:smashin:.

Last edited:

Barney Gumble

After serious testing with old and nieuw games I am proud to share a solution. The even most positive thing is: I must not use GAME mode on the TV. Result: we can choose again our own favourite motion blur routines like in the past. And I can continue to use technicolor expert mode for the PS, which has more options than game mode.

PS5 settings:

4K transfer rate: -1
Adjust HDR: do it after all settings are done
RGB range: Limited (---> on LG TV black point LOW)
sound: had to set it to dolby or dts. otherwise no sound

LG Oled C9:

any picture mode except GAME mode.
audio: HDMI ARC "through". eARC ON
choose whatever motion mode you prefer.

nik

I'm curious, what do you have your C9 hooked up to that you enable eARC?

If it's a sound bar or receiver, why have you enabled DD or DTS over HDMI on the PS5?

I use an X-3700H, on the C9 eARC is enabled with digital sound out set to 'passthrough' and on the PS5 the audio format priority is set to Linear PCM.

I thought you'd only use DD or DTS over optical.

Nikkk

Novice Member
I'm curious, what do you have your C9 hooked up to that you enable eARC?

If it's a sound bar or receiver, why have you enabled DD or DTS over HDMI on the PS5?

I use an X-3700H, on the C9 eARC is enabled with digital sound out set to 'passthrough' and on the PS5 the audio format priority is set to Linear PCM.

I thought you'd only use DD or DTS over optical.
i use a panasonic receiver. linear pcm on ps5 mutes sound in combination with 4K transfer -1. both DD and DTS work. do not hear a difference. should there be?!

Barney Gumble

i use a panasonic receiver. linear pcm on ps5 mutes sound in combination with 4K transfer -1. both DD and DTS work. do not hear a difference. should there be?!

You have to do what works for you but, there should be no correlation between the two incidents; altering the setting from automatic to -1 and subsequent loss of sound.

That setting affects chroma sub sampling, nothing to do with audio.

Strange.

surfvvax

Novice Member
You have to do what works for you but, there should be no correlation between the two incidents; altering the setting from automatic to -1 and subsequent loss of sound.

That setting affects chroma sub sampling, nothing to do with audio.

Strange.
Setting it to -1 for sure has an affect on the audio. I'm not entirely sure why, but from what I understand, setting it to -1 lowers the overall bandwidth transfer. It is 100% a measurable degrade to the sound when I set it to -1 4k transfer.

Nikkk

Novice Member
I now played with the -1 settings for some time and it works flawless. Visually I could not see a drop in picture quality. Sound wise my surround experience was also good. So with bare eye and ear there is no recognisable loss. At this moment there is no other solution for us LG users anyway.

Barney Gumble

Setting it to -1 for sure has an affect on the audio. I'm not entirely sure why, but from what I understand, setting it to -1 lowers the overall bandwidth transfer. It is 100% a measurable degrade to the sound when I set it to -1 4k transfer.

I'm sorry but, I don't share your experience.

I can, and have, adjusted the the 4K Video Transfer Rate setting to -1 but, have left the Audio Output as is; Audio Format (Priority) = Linear PCM.

I have no issue with sound.

Barney Gumble

I now played with the -1 settings for some time and it works flawless. Visually I could not see a drop in picture quality. Sound wise my surround experience was also good. So with bare eye and ear there is no recognisable loss. At this moment there is no other solution for us LG users anyway.

I don't believe this is an LG problem. I have a C9 and don't share your experience either.

Please see my post above.

There must be something else responsible within your set up that is affecting sound, could it be your HDMI lead?

How old is your receiver? Maybe that's your particular issue as I am unaware of Panasonic making receivers, not for years and even then, I thought they were part of Blu-ray/amplifier combos.

Nikkk

Novice Member
it is a pioneer vsx 310. works fine for the rest. only automatic turn ON via HDMI cec also does not work. it is a couple of years old i guess.

Barney Gumble

it is a pioneer vsx 310. works fine for the rest. only automatic turn ON via HDMI cec also does not work. it is a couple of years old i guess.

Pioneer, sorry. In post #13 you said Panasonic.

I'm just trying to think logically, assuming you have no issue with Linear PCM when the 4K Video Transfer Rate setting is on it's vanilla setting of automatic, why, when you send less information, do you then have an issue?

It would bug the hell outta me. #frustrating

Forgive me for stating the obvious but, have you thought to power everything down at the wall or unplug everything for a few minutes? Just to initiate handshakes all round again.

Worth a shot, if you haven't done so already ;) .

Nikkk

Novice Member
Pioneer, sorry. In post #13 you said Panasonic.

I'm just trying to think logically, assuming you have no issue with Linear PCM when the 4K Video Transfer Rate setting is on it's vanilla setting of automatic, why, when you send less information, do you then have an issue?

It would bug the hell outta me. #frustrating

Forgive me for stating the obvious but, have you thought to power everything down at the wall or unplug everything for a few minutes? Just to initiate handshakes all round again.

Worth a shot, if you haven't done so already ;) .
funny, maybe your plug out and in suggestion did it, now it works. thanks. is Linear PCM better quality wise?

Barney Gumble

funny, maybe your plug out and in suggestion did it, now it works. thanks. is Linear PCM better quality wise?

I would use Linear PCM myself as it is sending an uncompressed audio signal;).

HDMI CEC is a PITA and my first thought is always to power everything down for a few minutes and then start problem solving from there, if re-establishing handshakes doesn't work.

Glad I could help:).

I've fought with this since the PS5 and Xbox Series X launched. I have a C9 and anything 30fps is awful to play. I finally hooked back up my PS4 Pro through my receiver so I can play 30fps games normally, which is just silly to me to have to use as a fix. I can turn off game mode, turn on smoothing and it definitely helps the 30fps games, although the native faster PS5 games seem to suffer a large amount setup this way. I had screen flickering, and other issues when testing this.

So far, I'm leaning towards the final solution that makes me happy being later this year when multi port in and out HDMI 2.1 receivers are launched, running everything through the receiver instead of the tv and doing two HDMI outs to the tv, one configured with smoothing for 30fps games, and the other in game mode, completely clean for anything next gen/60fps+ and having to use the remote to switch the receiver outputs/tv inputs depending on what I want to play.

I don't need perfect graphics, and most the games I play are turn-based anyway so input lag really isn't an issue for me at all, but I can't seem to find a setting that keeps everything happy. I'm currently using a SHARC for my audio output, and that seems to be fine, just wish there was a happy middle ground for the video side, other than spending another grand in 5-6 months on a receiver to make the latest consoles work with one of the best tv's on the market for new and old stuff.

Barney Gumble

I've fought with this since the PS5 and Xbox Series X launched. I have a C9 and anything 30fps is awful to play. I finally hooked back up my PS4 Pro through my receiver so I can play 30fps games normally, which is just silly to me to have to use as a fix. I can turn off game mode, turn on smoothing and it definitely helps the 30fps games, although the native faster PS5 games seem to suffer a large amount setup this way. I had screen flickering, and other issues when testing this.

So far, I'm leaning towards the final solution that makes me happy being later this year when multi port in and out HDMI 2.1 receivers are launched, running everything through the receiver instead of the tv and doing two HDMI outs to the tv, one configured with smoothing for 30fps games, and the other in game mode, completely clean for anything next gen/60fps+ and having to use the remote to switch the receiver outputs/tv inputs depending on what I want to play.

I don't need perfect graphics, and most the games I play are turn-based anyway so input lag really isn't an issue for me at all, but I can't seem to find a setting that keeps everything happy. I'm currently using a SHARC for my audio output, and that seems to be fine, just wish there was a happy middle ground for the video side, other than spending another grand in 5-6 months on a receiver to make the latest consoles work with one of the best tv's on the market for new and old stuff.

For the PS5, under video output options, go to 4K Video Transfer Rate and adjust to -1.

Nikkk

Novice Member
oh no....
i thought 4K Video Transfer Rate and adjust to -1 is a general solution.
just bought "the pathless" for PS5 and now there is the judder again in graphics mode (30fps i guess). only performance mode runs smooth. i am really angry about that. the last of us 2 runs super smooth though.
Anyone knows whether "Demon's Souls" and "Control Ultimate" runs smoothly at graphics mode on a LG C9/Cx ?

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton