(SOLVED)No post - Red Light blinking 3 times on MOBO

jimscreechy

Erm, did all those cables come out of the original case? I'm just asking because the flat cables that feed the Graphics card don't look the same format as the ones for the other motherboard power cables.

LoF

Standard Member
Erm, did all those cables come out of the original case? I'm just asking because the flat cables that feed the Graphics card don't look the same format as the ones for the other motherboard power cables.
Original cables were already there prior to case move. The white cables on the other hand came separately, I ordered them with the new case.

LoF

Standard Member
Sorry double post
I’m not sure because the previous owner made a lot of upgrades to this build. I am not sure where he got those cables from. The case which this build was in originally is a gigabyte chassis from 2008.

jimscreechy

The white ones are fine since I'm presuming they are just extensions. but generally modular power cables are not interchangeable, even from like manufacturers. As long as this is what you had before when it was working then we can safely assume they are correct in pin orientation, so that should be fine.

LoF

Standard Member
The white ones are fine since I'm presuming they are just extensions. but generally modular power cables are not interchangeable, even from like manufacturers.
But everything worked fine prior to me disassembling it, so I assume the cables aren’t the problem here

LoF

Standard Member
Good chance it is the power supply and to be honest at 13 years old I wouldn't even consider connecting a PSU of that age to a modern system.
I Just bought a 650w Corsair power supply, I made sure I didn’t skimp on this one. It’ll be delivered tomorrow

LoF

Standard Member
Fingers crossed it's the PSU then.
Yeah, what if it isnt? Could it be that the motherboard became bricked? Or the cpu? Maybe it could be that the cmos battery died, who knows, just leaves us with more questions.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
You can leave the CMOS battery off and it should still boot, just might not remember any settings if you remove power.

Will your MB boot without the CPU? Removes CPU from the equation then.

LoF

Standard Member
New Power Supply and new CMOS batteries didn’t solve the problem, when I first plugged in the new PSU and switched it on, a solid red light appeared, I turned it off. After turning it on again, the LED blinks 3 times now.

DavidG1

Most likely motherboard problem then 😩 CPU failures are rare. Might be worth contacting MSI to check the warranty terms. Also inspect the motherboard in case you knocked off any surface mount components accidentally.

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
New Power Supply and new CMOS batteries didn’t solve the problem, when I first plugged in the new PSU and switched it on, a solid red light appeared, I turned it off. After turning it on again, the LED blinks 3 times now.

Still unsure which light is flashing as there shouldn’t be a LED in the top corner ?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Can you remove the chip and try to see if has the same effect.

Also, you don't have the 4 pin CPU Power cable connected CPU_PWR2 on page 10 of the manual. Some boards require both to function correctly.

brunation

Still unsure which light is flashing as there shouldn’t be a LED in the top corner ?
@LoF

Wonder if there is a LED in the cooler?
Can you remove the chip and try to see if has the same effect.
Be careful, lots of damaged AM4 sockets when the cooler pulls the CPU out.

The diagnostic LEDs do not light up.

The CPU should flash first and if doesn't you're looking to elimainate the CPU or mobo. After that it's fault tracing ......

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
@brunation yep agreed, but given one of the power cables is not present and in this case the MB does states they should all be connected, I would try that first.

1612879093058.png

LoF

Standard Member
@LoF

Wonder if there is a LED in the cooler?

Be careful, lots of damaged AM4 sockets when the cooler pulls the CPU out.

The CPU should flash first and if doesn't you're looking to elimainate the CPU or mobo. After that it's fault tracing ......
None of the dis
@brunation yep agreed, but given one of the power cables is not present and in this case the MB does states they should all be connected, I would try that first.

View attachment 1457601
I’m assembling it again from scratch, pretending that there’s no issues, when I got this whole thing built, with everything connected, I’ll make sure to check thrice (cables etc), then we should see if it works. I have visually evaluated the cpu pins and nothing seems damaged, aswell as checked the motherboard throughly and didn’t find any anomalies.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
There is also this

LoF

Standard Member
There is also this

Ahh yes I’ve read it, didn’t even get to the bios at all yet since I can’t get this thing started. However clearing the cpu and trying to start it is something I haven’t tried yet, so I will give that a go.

brunation

but given one of the power cables is not present and in this case the MB does states they should all be connected, I would try that first.
OP says it was all working fine with orig PSU.

PSU appears to be Silent Pro M700 which doesn't AFAICS doesn't have an additional CPU power plug bar the 4+4.

Edit:

Reddit thread about additional CPU power socket.

I’m assembling it again from scratch,
BOL.

LoF

Standard Member
Success, I managed to get into the BIOS after dissembling it and assembling it in the case this time.I just have to install the hard drive and SSDs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Harman Luxury Audio Group releases updated MusicLife app
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco Audio introduces new N100-H50 digital music library