Answered SOLVED - No gigabit - what's wrong with my LAN installation?

cerebros

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

As part of my lounge redecoration, which is unfortunately taking ages, I've had the sparks run some Cat6 cabling in the walls within the lounge (as well as to the kitchen and two cables to the roof, although he's got to come back to finish wiring the loft ones up).

The cabling he's installed in the lounge runs between faceplates in different areas of the lounge - four ports in one area where I'm going to have a desktop and networked printers in future, four ports in another area where my AV gear and my Virgin router are, and one port on the wall behind the settee. All traffic is being routed through a to-link TL-SG1024D switch.

The sparks has definitely used Cat6 cable and he's definitely used Cat6 modules on the wall faceplates (I watched him wire up some of the connections), and I've purchased Cat6 patch leads to connect devices between the wall plates and switch, but I'm not getting gigabit connect connection speeds from any capable devices (testing my laptop and Synology DS414j NAS)

If I connect devices directly to the switch I get gigabit speeds. If I connect the ports the laptop and NAS are linked to into the Virgin router (which has 4 gigabit ports itself), I still only get 100Mbps (if I connect the laptop and NAS directly to the Virgin router's ports I get 1Gbps)

So, I'm satisfied that there's not a problem with the switch or devices that I expect to be able to run at gigabit speed. That just leaves the wiring and faceplates.

Due to the length of time the job's taken, I'd already noticed the issue and informed the sparks of the issues, so when he was round on Saturday to carry on with the job he brought a network tester (think it was one of these PHILEX Remote Network Cable Tester - Philex Electronics Ltd) and checked the connections and the tester appeared to be indicating valid connections (lights were running all the way up to 8). Unfortunately due to a number of issues I've only had a chance to sit down and check my actual connection speeds tonight and found I'm still only getting 100Mbps when I'm connected.

Any ideas what's going on?

The sparks has definitely used Cat6 cable and he's definitely used Cat6 modules on the wall faceplates

How did you verify this ? taking his word for it ? Asking where he got the cabling and plates ? Did you check the box or boxes of cabling were from a known brand like Connectix , Excel or CE ?

The cabling he's installed in the lounge runs between faceplates in different areas of the lounge - four ports in one area where I'm going to have a desktop and networked printers in future, four ports in another area where my AV gear and my Virgin router are, and one port on the wall behind the settee. All traffic is being routed through a to-link TL-SG1024D switch.

So does this mean that all the ports in the wall go back to a central point and a patch panel which in turn is connected to the switch ?

Do you know the method used by the sparky to connect up the cables ? It should have been either T568A or T568B not both.
Untitled1.jpg

If you look at the diagrams above you will see that 100 only used 4 of the available 8 but gigabit needs all 8. My initial thoughts are that you have a wiring problem.

His tester is a simple continuity tester, not a network tester. So you can randomly wire up a cable and as long as pin 1, pin 2 etc at each end is connected to the same core then it passes. However for Ethernet the Cable has to have the wires connected in a specific sequence for it to be compliant with the required standards. A “proper” network tester (ie very expensive at a few thousand pounds) not only tests for continuity, but also tests for correct wiring of the Cable pairs and runs a host of tests to prove the Cable meets the standards and runs at the required signal speeds.

So my guess is the electrician has not followed the TIA-568A or B scheme so has not terminated the cabling correctly. So that is the first place to start.

How did you verify this ? taking his word for it ?...

By observation - the cable outer sleeving is marked up as Cat6, the wall modules are marked up as Cat6 and have 8 connections for punch-down in two rows of four, plus there's a sticker between the two rows showing which connections to use for T568A or T568B.

Do you know the method used by the sparky to connect up the cables ? It should have been either T568A or T568B not both. If you look at the diagrams above you will see that 100 only used 4 of the available 8 but gigabit needs all 8. My initial thoughts are that you have a wiring problem.

I observed him wiring up some of the modules so I know he's used all 8 wires but without being able to look right now, I can't say if he's used A, B or mixed the two

Asking where he got the cabling and plates ? Did you check the box or boxes of cabling were from a known brand like Connectix , Excel or CE ?

That's an "I'm not sure" one there. I think he said the cable was the last of a batch he'd had from either Toolstation or Screwfix (he was grumbling a bit about whichever one it is no longer selling Cat6 as it meant he couldn't just pick some up if needed when he was purchasing other items). The modules for the wallplates I believe he said he got from TLC direct. I don't know what the actual brand is (assuming it's marked on the Cat6 I can check this when I'm home next)

So does this mean that all the ports in the wall go back to a central point and a patch panel which in turn is connected to the switch ?

No, it's port to port, no patch panel in between

Must have been Screwfix as Toolstation don't do network cabling.

So, just to be clear, each wall socket goes back to a port on the switch ?:lesson:

Still think it is a fundamental wiring mistake. :nono:

Still think it is a fundamental wiring mistake. :nono:

Me too. I use CAT5e everywhere in the house as it cost significantly less at the time of install and the runs are fairly short. I use gbit without issue so I would also lean towards checking the cabling order.

cerebros said:
So, just to be clear, each wall socket goes back to a port on the switch ?:lesson:

Each wall socket runs to another wall socket. E.g. socket 1 in the computer area of the lounge runs to socket 1 in the TV area of the lounge. Socket 1 is then connected to the switch with a patch cable

See the 2nd image in this post for a quick view of where most things sit. The ports in the alcove on the right are connected via Cat6 to the right hand 2-gang of ports in the area on the left. No patch panel or switch in between

Each wall socket runs to another wall socket. E.g. socket 1 in the computer area of the lounge runs to socket 1 in the TV area of the lounge. Socket 1 is then connected to the switch with a patch cable

See the 2nd image in this post for a quick view of where most things sit. The ports in the alcove on the right are connected via Cat6 to the right hand 2-gang of ports in the area on the left. No patch panel or switch in between

That seems strange to me. So a ethernet wall socket has a run of cat cable to another ethernet wall socket in another room, which in turn is connected to a switch?

In my home network which I designed I have each network double port wall socket, running a cat5e cable to a patch panel (22 connections, 22 runs of cat5e). The patch panel is then connectyed to a unmanaged 24 port gig switch, which in turn has the NAS\Router etc connected to it

Last edited:
Nothing odd in using wall modules at each end of the run - sounds like there was not enough outlets at one end for a traditional patch panel so wall plates were used instead. Better to use wall plates and patch leads than crimping plugs - easier to terminate generally (although EZ-RJ45s make plugs a bit easier to get right first time), and less risk of repetitive movement breaking a solid core in the cable.

I would agree its likely to be a wiring issue and not confirming to either A or B types.

Even if he wired A at one end and B at the other you effectively get a cross-over cable, however most devices should auto negotiate this still and work correctly at gigabit speeds.

Nothing odd in using wall modules at each end of the run - sounds like there was not enough outlets at one end for a traditional patch panel so wall plates were used instead. Better to use wall plates and patch leads than crimping plugs - easier to terminate generally (although EZ-RJ45s make plugs a bit easier to get right first time), and less risk of repetitive movement breaking a solid core in the cable.

Having re-read his statement, I undertsnad it now. In that case no there is nothing wrong and it must be a wiring problem somewhere.

You can get gigabit over CAT5E.

Hi everyone

Sorry for delay in responding (who knew being at home would mean less chance to reply than being at work...)

When I was planning out the install I looked into whether to use a patch panel but decided it would be overkill for the few connections I wanted

You can get gigabit over CAT5E.
But with little/no overhead for environmental issues. CAT6 has greater overhead for successful gigabit (and other) applications. However, I do agree that it's normally specification overkill in an average house. Nevertheless that horse has bolted!

@cerebros Do you believe installation standards were followed? For reference, this Excel Installation Guidelines will give you an idea of what's involved. CAT6 is harder to install than CAT5e, and I'm afraid I don't believe the average electrician (no offence intended if any electrician is reading this) has a regard for maximum pulling tension on the cable, bend radii, etc, etc. Unfortunately throwing it in may just work most of the time exacerbating problems possibly encountered immediately after installation, or many years down the line.

Hi

I've been able to get shots of the kitchen socket but the lounge ones are proving a bit too tricky to do in the time I had available last night (looks like the plaster wasn't dry enough when the sparks put the surround plates back on so they'll need a fair bit of prying off for me to open up) so I can't show you the other end

Kitchen-Module-Left.jpg

Kitchen-Module-Right.jpg

Kitchen-Wired.jpg

The cable used for the install is marked up as:

Nexans F/UTP CAT 6 450 L9ZH (Dca-s2.d1.a1)4PR 24AWG FF4017 049259N (there's a number alphanumeric sequence at the end of this which unfortunately I can't read in the photos I quickly snapped last night)

@cerebros Do you believe installation standards were followed? For reference, this Excel Installation Guidelines will give you an idea of what's involved.

Haven't had time to read & digest that, and as stated in previous post, I've hit a slight snag trying to get the face plates off to see the wiring into the sockets, but I do have these work in progress photos of the install:

Computer area:
Cat6-TV.jpg

TV area (2-gang on the left goes to the kitchen and hallway - loft runs to be added, 2-gang on the right are the four running to the computer alcove)
Cat6-Computer.jpg

Have you got an unused module you can take a picture of the back, please? Need to see the pin assignment on the module. Also an in-focus picture of the back of the module that's been terminated?

It's not a great example of termination, the cable should be secured to the valley shaped bit of plastic with a tie-wrap, and the cores should be a bit shorter and have more twists intact (but not very clear form the pic above). Saying that, I've seen much worse!

Are you plaster boarding over the channels or plastering straight onto the cables? They should be in trucking in the walls.

Last edited:
My initial thoughts are there's a lot of untwisted strands.

There are cheaper testers (£10 or less) available that will check the wiring without doing any performance testing.

Done some checking and the brand appears legit.
https://www.nexans.fr/eservice/Navigate.nx?navigationId=125369
However the majority of their cabling comes in an orange sheath not gray.

However I would have to question the cabling as your picture shows cabling that does not comply with colouring requirements. Also given the cable you have how could you know where to connect the white cables without differentiating marks?

Would also have to question whether all the cabling has been punched down properly. In the set of 3 pictures you can see in the middle one that one of the cables isn't all the way down.

Kristian is correct, all your cabling should be in trunking in the wall.

Nexans F/UTP CAT 6

Wonder if that's FTP...? Pics suggest it is and it looks like the shielding is not earthed. Probably not related to the problem the OP has, but strictly speaking the shields need to be earthed at one end to function properly as RF shields.

To clarify its all installed and plastered in now though?

Does the kitchen one work at gigabit speeds or have you only tried the lounge?

As to trunking, its might be advisable but it is not required in this situation.

Its hard to tell from the picture Pin 3 bottom left going on number convention should be white-green but this seems in disagreement with the underlying colour coding. Hence an unterminated pictured would be good.

Have you got an unused module you can take a picture of the back, please? Need to see the pin assignment on the module.

Apparently I should have two somewhere as when the sparks was here on Saturday he said he'd left two for the ports going in the loft when he did the fourth day of work on the job along with a pattress box for the loft installation - bearing in the fourth day of work on the job was back in December. I'd got the pattress box but couldn't recall having seen any modules (and obviously not helped by the fact that we've tidied a bit and stuff has been moved round since) and as he hadn't got any on him (believing he'd left some at the house) this is why he didn't finish installing the loft run

Also an in-focus picture of the back of the module that's been terminated?

With where I asked him to install that one you're probably not going to get a much better picture (I was up on a step with the module in one hand and the camera in another for that shot)

Are you plaster boarding over the channels or plastering straight onto the cables? They should be in trucking in the walls.

I believe he put trunking in but can't be 100% sure as I don't appear to have a photo of trunking in those areas for the Cat6 (I took the photos while he was having a 5 minute break). He did use trunking for the hallway wall socket and for the kitchen socket (or at least I'd be shocked if he hadn't as plan b for getting the cabling up to the loft would have been to extend the lounge side chase up to the ceiling and pull the additional cables up. Not sure how easy that would have been without trunking in place to pull the cable up)

There's been an initial plastering over the cable runs (bonding? think that's how he referrred to it)

However I would have to question the cabling as your picture shows cabling that does not comply with colouring requirements. Also given the cable you have how could you know where to connect the white cables without differentiating marks?

The sparks did comment on how this was a pain with this batch of cable - the white cables come twisted round what you would assume/hope is the relevant coloured cable

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom