SOLVED - HH5 & Smarthub WiFi Issue

Bakey

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We have BT Infinity 2 and have had no problems until earlier this year. The HH5 would lose the 5ghz wifi connection, 2.4ghz and hardwired connection was ok and restarting the hub would restore 5ghz. The issue became more frequent until it was happening at least twice a week and nothing obvious was causing it, not a disaster but still annoying. We tried all the obvious and BT sent us a Smarthub a month ago, we set it up and put everything on the 2.4ghz apart from downstairs TV and Sky+ box. Everything was fine for the first 2 weeks then the 2.4ghz disconnected, restarting the Smarthub brought it back. It has now disconnected twice, presumably something that was previously connected to 5ghz and now 2.4ghz is disconnecting the wifi but has anyone else had this issue? It went off earlier this evening so we've set up youngest daughters phone to 5ghz only (she got it for Christmas), if next time the 5ghz goes down then that's the device causing it. If not we'll try each thing in turn. I suppose it is possible that the old and new hub are faulty but it seems unlikely. If it is a device why would this happen?

Do you have the latest firmware on the HH5?
We no longer have the HH5, BT sent us a Smarthub & that does have latest firmware. I'm currently going through each device at a time connecting to 5ghz then back to 2.4 when that goes down trying to work out if it's the same device knocking it out (if that makes sense). My Sony tablet is the latest, if not that next on the list to try is eldests firestick.

Yes I missed that one. Sounds as though your going about it in the right way. Assume changing channels does not help?

Yes I missed that one. Sounds as though your going about it in the right way. Assume changing channels does not help?
Thanks for your replies. Changing channels makes no difference. We're now thinking it might well be the fire stick, I found out today it has WiFi direct on it (I think to connect to the remote) and WiFi direct is known for causing interference. I've unpaired the fire stick remote and my daughter is using a remote app via Bluetooth instead. Presumably if the WiFi direct isn't connected to anything it can't cause issues.

Had a look at some of the details and it seems a fire stick sets itself up to use same channel as your wifi and is then known to interfere with 5 GHz on channel 153. So if you have unpaired it then it would be interesting to see if you still have the problem.

Had a look at some of the details and it seems a fire stick sets itself up to use same channel as your wifi and is then known to interfere with 5 GHz on channel 153. So if you have unpaired it then it would be interesting to see if you still have the problem.
I'll let you know. I've also contacted Amazon to see if the newer fire stick uses WiFi Direct, some things I've read online claim the remote is via bluetooth but I'm not convinced. Makes me wonder how many other people have had WiFi dropping out, slow speeds etc and not realised it has been caused by their fire stick.

Yes I've read lots of stuff referring to the fire stick remote being bluetooth and that makes a lot of sense.

Yes I've read lots of stuff referring to the fire stick remote being bluetooth and that makes a lot of sense.
It's been 3 weeks since I unpaired the firestick remote and we've had no WiFi issues since, my daughter prefers using the remote app on her phone anyway so that's handy. I can't believe we've been having issues all year that we though were Hub/BT faults when it was down to the firestick remote. Amazon admitted to me on live chat that the new 4k fire stick doesn't use wifi direct to stop any issues so they obviously know about it.

Glad it got sorted.

As for Amazon I wonder sometimes what they do understand, other than selling that is. Would I ever trust techie advice from them, uugh that's a big no. But you can't fault them for their sales ability, deliveries and product return policy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom