Question [SOLVED] HDMI 2.1 Splitter (for PS5) - any available?

sos

Standard Member
I've got my PS5 connected directly to my LG C9 OLED through HDMI 3 input. Works well, great picture, reasonable sound through TV's optical out.

My 2012 Pioneer LX-85 has everything else (region-free blu ray player, Nintendo Switch, HTPC, retro-games console) connected to it, then to the TV into HDMI 2, which supports eARC (but the receiver only has regular ARC).

Trouble is, with this setup, my PS5 can spin blu ray and 4k UHD discs, but I'm limited to Dolby Digital sound via the ARC or optical.

I'd rather not upgrade to a new AVR just for eARC and given the cost and teething issues with HDMI 2.1, so the solution seems to be a simple HDMI 2.1 splitter for the PS5 to allow the HDMI 2.1 video signal (4K/120Hz/VRR/ALLM etc) to go the TV, and the Hi-res audio (DTS-MA, DD-Tru HD, Atmos) to go to the AVR.

So: are there any HDMI 2.1 splitters available, or at least coming soon? It's bizarre that we seem to be stuck at HDMI 2.0 for AVR's and peripherals months after the PS5's release, and a year after HDMI 2.1 should have been widely available.

sos

Standard Member
Just answering my own question: no. There aren't any HDMI 2.1 splitters as of Jan 2021.

BUT, the SHARC eARC convertor from Thenaudio looks as though it accomplishes what I need, albeit in a slightly different way.

Instead of splitting the PS5's HDMI output, it adds eARC ability to a regular HDMI input on my existing AVR. Pricey, but not many other choices out there!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The shArc is one for the ‘early adopters’ - it is a low volume development product being used as a test bed, if you are willing to be involved with the testing it is a great option.

Joe

sos

Standard Member
@ Joe....true that! I spent this afternoon browsing a long forum thread about some of the trials, tribulations and quirks (CEC black screen loops etc). However I think through a combination of users' experiences and firmware updates, mixed with a touch of luck, it should do what I need it to (mainly allow my PS5 to function as a proper UHD player by allowing uncompressed HD audio through HDMI, over an eARC workaround).

Will update this post with my experiences in due course.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you are happy to be part of the project give it a go and fingers crossed it goes well in your system, the rest of us can benefit once the tech filters through to the next generation of HDFury kit :)

Joe

sos

Standard Member
Pleased to report the sharc arrived today - very speedy shipping from the USA in these COVID times.

All the dip switches were set to "up", but I read somewhere it was preferable to set the first dipswitch ("legacy") down, so did that before hooking everything up (LG C9 OLED, PS5 into HDMI 3, HDMI eARC out to the sharc, then into HDMI 4 of my Pioneer LX-85). As per the instruction sheet, set the C9 to "passthrough". Set the PS5 to "AV Receiver", "5.1 channels" and "PCM".

Stereo only...but this was solved by flipping the 1st dipswitch back to "up". Now all is working perfectly: bitstreaming TrueHD from blu ray and 4k discs on my PS5 through eARC to HDMI, 5.1 channel PCM output for PS5 games, and sound from TV apps come out in either stereo (Youtube), or Dolby Digital+ (Netflix).

Very pleased to avoid the need to upgrade my Pioneer LX-85 for now, as the only thing I'm missing out on is Atmos (and that would require me to mount ceiling speakers, so is not on the cards for now).

Highly recommended piece of kit.

Edit: here's the recetera thread on the sharc. Lots of good use input and experience and tweaks: Sharc - The eArc device that can save you thousands as you prepare for Next Gen/Current PC Gaming

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom