Question [SOLVED] HDMI 2.1-capable splitter for PS5 - does one exist?

sos

Standard Member
I've got my PS5 connected directly to my LG C9 OLED through HDMI 3 input.

My 2012 Pioneer LX-85 has everything else (region-free blu ray player, Nintendo Switch, HTPC, retro-games console) connected to it, then to the TV into HDMI 2, which support ARC (*not eARC).

Trouble is, with this setup, my PS5 can spin 4k discs, but I'm limited to Dolby Digital sound via the ARC (no eARC on my old receiver).

I'd rather not upgrade to a new AVR given the cost and teething issues with HDMI 2.1, so the solution seems to be a simple HDMI 2.1-capable splitter for the PS5 to allow the HDMI 2.1 video signal (4K/120Hz/VRR/ALLM etc) to go the TV, and the Hi-res audio (DTS-MA, DD-Tru HD, Atmos) to go to the AVR.

So: are there any HDMI 2.1 splitters available, or at least coming soon? It's bizarre that we seem to be stuck at HDMI 2.0 for AVR's and peripherals months after the PS5's release, and a year after HDMI 2.1 should have been widely available.

sos

Standard Member
Just answering my own question: no. There aren't any HDMI 2.1 splitters as of Jan 2021.

BUT, the SHARC eARC convertor from Thenaudio looks as though it accomplishes what I need, albeit in a slightly different way.

Instead of splitting the PS5's HDMI output, it adds eARC ability to a regular HDMI input on my existing AVR. Pricey, but not many other choices out there!

Gen X

Novice Member
So what do you guys think of games at 120fps at 4k. Have you noticed much of a difference going from 60fps to 120??

sos

Standard Member
Just to close the loop in the thread:

Pleased to report the sharc arrived today - very speedy 7 day shipping from the USA to my door here in NZ. Impressive in these pandemic times.

All the dip switches were set to "up", but I read somewhere it was preferable to set the first dipswitch ("legacy") down, so did that before hooking everything up (LG C9 OLED, PS5 into HDMI 3, HDMI eARC out to the sharc, then into HDMI 4 of my Pioneer LX-85). As per the instruction sheet, set the C9 to "passthrough". Set the PS5 to "AV Receiver", "5.1 channels" and "PCM".

Stereo only...but this was solved by flipping the 1st dipswitch back to "up". Now all is working perfectly: bitstreaming TrueHD from blu ray and 4k discs on my PS5 through eARC to HDMI, 5.1 channel PCM output for PS5 games, and sound from TV apps come out in either stereo (Youtube), or Dolby Digital+ (Netflix).

Very pleased to avoid the need to upgrade my Pioneer LX-85 for now, as the only thing I'm missing out on is Atmos (and that would require me to mount ceiling speakers, so is not on the cards for now).

Highly recommended peice of kit.

scottish nutter

Novice Member
i upgraded my old onkyo 706 to a denon 2700 because the onkyo didnt have 4k or arc, i did see the sharc but was expecting it to be rubbish like most other things iv tried, im a bit annoyed now as i prefered the workings of the onkyo to the denon, cant say i can tell any difference in the sound from either amp though, not to mention this hdmi 2.1 problem with these amps

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom