SOLVED: 75PUS7805 - sound cuts out on Samsung Q90R soundbar when launching or even pausing Netflix titles

couchpatater

Novice Member
Does anyone technical happen to have an explanation for why my new Philips TV changes the signal to my soundbar when I launch or even pause a Netflix title?

I have the following setup:
- Philips 75PUS7805.... TV sound is set to Multichannel (bypass).... I've tried it on Stereo and Multichannel settings and it works but doesn't sound anywhere near as good
- Samsung Q90R Soundbar - this soundbar supports any and every format you can mention (more than any other) so am assuming it is not a sound format problem
- 4K Ultra HD HDMI cables

When I launch Netflix and scroll through home-screen titles the trailers play automatically and sound comes through fine... however... when I launch a title, NO SOUND.... if I turn off/on the soundbar as the title is playing, I get the sound back and it's great quality in DD+ / Atmos

But having to restart the soundbar literally every time I start a new Netflix title or even pause/rewind/FFwd a title while it is playing is getting VERY TEDIOUS.

(in the last 10 mins I've realised I can access Netflix via my PS4 - a faff to do it this way tho - which is also plugged into the same soundbar and the sound through that is absolutely fine when I launch/pause/rewind a Netflix title... very strange)

Given Netflix via PS4 into the soundbar works fine but Netflix via the Philips TV into the same soundbar displays the problems above would suggest it is definitely a problem with the signal the TV is sending to the soundbar....

Any sound engineers / experts in Philips TV hardware know why this might be?

couchpatater

Novice Member
PROBLEM SOLVED
Having already updated my TV with the latest update (and setting it to auto install new updates) I didn't expect this to be the source of the problem but in the end it was

At a loss for why my setup wasn't working properly I selected to to a Factory re-install of the TV. This must have forced a new update (or a previous update hadn't correctly installed).... anyway as soon as the TV ran back through its setup, I was asked to install a newer version of Netflix and since then it has worked fine

With this being a new TV I'm expecting a number of teething problems like this to be solved with firmware updates but I am so glad this problem has been fixed as it was really bugging me.

humax

Please, share some comments about picture quality of this model. Are you happy with its ips panel? Thank you kindly!

couchpatater

Novice Member
Yes I’m happy with the picture, of course it depends what you’re watching as anything of a low resolution does look grainy on such a large screen... but 4K programmes on Amazon prime, Apple TV or Netflix look great, very good colours, sharp picture and good backs. You are never going to get oled level blacks but for this price I’m very happy with it. I’ve attached a few pics so you can see colours and blacks... and the fantastic ambilight
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

humax

Those pictures look nice and bright for a large set. Could you also post one of a dark scene with black bars in it? Enjoy your set and again thank you kindly for the info!

couchpatater

Novice Member
Those pictures look nice and bright for a large set. Could you also post one of a dark scene with black bars in it? Enjoy your set and again thank you kindly for the info!

a couple more pics of a dark scene, with and without ambilight...
B9500911-E33B-499E-AF46-81560A76430E.jpeg
11C10AE6-F0F2-4C9C-86EF-4881E8DC4188.jpeg
my camera isn’t great in low light so not sure how useful they’ll be but hey. It may be an optical illusion but with the ambilight turned on the blacks definitely seem darker

humax

Those blacks seem a bit bright also. You are right, ambilight improves to a small degree the visual perception of contrast thus helps mask the low contrast of an ips panel. Micro-dimming pro also seems to be doing a decent job for the price. Do you have the dynamic contrast in optimized for picture setting? Too bad, however, Philips only use 75" ips panels nowadays. Again, thank you for taking the time to post the pictures.

AVtest

Best to switch light off when making picture. but for budget set IPS looks decent. Try dropping brightness a bit as there is a feel of faded black. Must admit philips picture settings need like a week to figure out :D

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom