Standard Member
My build as of 2 weeks ago:

- ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
-GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi)
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
-52" Samsung LN52B550 LCD

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

With this setup, everything looked perfect, text was fine, nothing was eye-straining, yadda yadda.

What I've changed since:

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
-XFX HD-687X-CNFC Radeon HD 6870 2GB 256-bit

I bought the newer card for the purpose of having a Crossfire setup soon. The old card is no longer in production.

Here is the problem I've come across:

Text, especially in games like EVE Online which are text heavy, internet browsers, even the Windows 7 UI are extremely eye straining. All text has a white border around it that seems to be brighter than the rest of the "white" area and it makes the text very vibrant. Here are some pictures I took with my phone. Note the text in the address bar of the first picture and the text in the window of the second.

1) Pic
2) Pic

This all started after I initially installed the new Radeon card, and here are some of the things I've tried doing to fix it with no success:

-reinstall old card, trying both PCI slots
-reinstall new card, trying both PCI slots
-trying DVI-HDMI cable from new card to TV
-trying DVI-HDMI cable from old card to TV
-clean install of windows with old card
-clean install of windows with new card
-boot windows to safe mode
-adjust overscan-underscan via Windows 7
-adjust text size via Windows 7
-change picture size via the TV
-change picture mode via the TV
-change contrast, brightness, backlighting of the TV
-there is no issue when hooked up to my old 24" Westinghouse widescreen LCD monitor

I've all but given up. I don't know what gremlin crawled in to my television but the bastard snuck in and I'm just about tired of looking for him.

If anyone can help, I'll be forever thankful. If any more info is needed just ask.

EDIT: I should also add that HD cable signals and Blu Ray signals still look great on the TV. Also cleaned the post up some.

Last edited:

spyder viewer

Gonna move you over to HTPCs etc as you might catch a bigger audience!

jammyb2004

Novice Member
The white text is a setting for clear type isn't it? Or something along those lines. It's a weird old big with 7 & HDMI as if you connected with a VGA cable. It disappears!

BigDan6248

Standard Member

I tried exactly that, and while from a distance it does greatly reduce the white ghosting around text, it doesn't eliminate it completely. And in games like EVE Online and some other applications, or with colored text on a colored background, the distortion was still completely unbearable.

SOLUTION: After trying the clean Win7 install again for EACH card, and after trying a $13/foot Monster HDMI cable, I tried a $10 DVI/VGA adapter.

Solved.

I still don't know what happened between not having an issue and returning everything to pre-issue configuration that didn't solve it, but the VGA adapter did.

Thanks to everyone that gave suggestions all the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom