Solutions to stop window rattling?

L

lurker75

Because my windows have been rattling I have to keep turning my sub down until now it is virtually off! :( I'm looking for some cheap solutions to stop my windows rattling so that I can turn up my subwoofer.

Can anybody help offer some ideas/ solutions?

I'm currently looking at the idea of trying to find some fire retardant foam (possibly an inch or two thick) that I can put in place when I'm using my system, then taken down to open the windows. could this work?

money is extremely tight so please bare that in mind.

If you can get hold of a test disk, you might find that the rattling only occurs at a certain frequency - somewhere in the 40 to 50hz range is common. If that's the case, you can tune the sub using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer.

It goes in between the cable that goes from the amps lfe output to the subs line in. Using the test disk to find the frequancy, you can use the BFD to create a 'notch' filter to remove that frequency from the range. You can also plot a graph and use the BFD to smooth out any peaks and troughs for a smoother in-room bass response. Overall, you might end up with a louder bass and no rattles.

Gary.

Brick it up :thumbsup:
JS

Gary Lightfoot said:
If you can get hold of a test disk, you might find that the rattling only occurs at a certain frequency - somewhere in the 40 to 50hz range is common. If that's the case, you can tune the sub using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer.

It goes in between the cable that goes from the amps lfe output to the subs line in. Using the test disk to find the frequancy, you can use the BFD to create a 'notch' filter to remove that frequency from the range. You can also plot a graph and use the BFD to smooth out any peaks and troughs for a smoother in-room bass response. Overall, you might end up with a louder bass and no rattles.

Gary.

How can I get hold of one of these discs/Behringer Feedback Destroyer and how much do they cost?

I forgot to mention - the friend I got the test disk from used the BFD to reduce 42hz so that his radiator would stop rattling, and it did, so if it worked for him, it could work for you.

Gary.

Cheers Gary but that's more than I have to spend.

Woody, I have no idea what type of window/frame it is. It's kind of like three equal rectangles and the left and right sides open while the middle always stays closed. It's made of wood and probably is from the Seventies.

Docta, I don't think it has any draft excluders? I'm not certain though.

Docta teef said:
if it still appears to be windows sue bill gates :D
:D

Does anybody have any knowledge on using foam to dampen the bass which I believe is causing the rattling?

If you want to try and isolate the sub from the floor (if that's the cause, and not the pressurisation), then use some 12mm MDF to make a square bigger than the base of the sub. Cover it with carpet (Carpet Right do a charcoal black carpet for 1.99 a square meter, so it will cost £10 for a 1m wide by 4m long bit) using wallpaper paste of some other glue, and then glue some firm foam strips to the bottom - try to get some foam that's approx 4" x 3" or similar. The stuff I used was thick packing foam that I cut to size so other than the carpet, it cost me nothing. I already had the MDF.

Here's a link to some pics:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127788&page=2&pp=15

If it's the pressure waves causing it, then you're going to have to physically stop the rattling by using foam strips or putty on the glass.

When the rattling is happening, can you press the glass to see if it stops it? That way you might find which ones are doing it and narrow it down to glass or frame.

Gary.

lurker75 said:
Cheers Gary but that's more than I have to spend.

..I have no idea what type of window/frame it is.

I only asked, because if it is something - normally the opener, that is obviously loose, then its simple to remedy. Loose casements can be adjusted or packed with a foam seal. Loose glass can be refixed.

Gary Lightfoot said:
If it's the pressure waves causing it, then you're going to have to physically stop the rattling by using foam strips or putty on the glass.

When the rattling is happening, can you press the glass to see if it stops it? That way you might find which ones are doing it and narrow it down to glass or frame.

Gary.

I will check tonight to see if putting pressure on the windows or frames makes any difference.

I fixed my rattling door with some self adhesive draught proofing foam tape from the DIY shop and it will work for windows too. It will also help with sound proofing the room by sealing up the gaps that sound can get through.

Gary Lightfoot said:

Gary.

It is the glass not the frame.

Can you remove the old dry putty and replace it with new? That might do the trick.

Gary.

If its putty, then you hack the old putty out, and renew it then repaint. If the glass is held in with timber beading, then you lever this off apply a bead of silicone and then refix ix while pressing it firmly against the glass and then re-pin (nail) it back in position.

If you are unsure what it is, then its probably better to get a glazier to do it as the putty/bead should be applied properly to prevent moisture ingress

As a quick bodge you could try running some clear sillicon sealant around the joint where the glass meets the frame.

That's a good idea - it doesn't need a great deal of skill and can be done easily and cheaply.

Gary.

avanzato said:
As a quick bodge you could try running some clear sillicon sealant around the joint where the glass meets the frame.

Just get some silicon sealant and run it round the outside of the window pane right next to the frame without actually removing with glass. That's what you're saying, right?

Yes don't take the glass out just run a bead around the edge of the glass, it should damp down the windows movement and stop the rattle. I can't guarantee it will work or how long it'll last though.

I will look into this at the weekend. I don't suppose you know if the sealant gives off a lot of fumes?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom