1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solution to Rainbow effect

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nickane, Dec 4, 2001.

1. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has probably been mentioned before, but I can't help but ask myself, why there aren't any/many three-chip DLP projectors aimed squarely at the HC market. What with the Plus Piano and the Dreamvision cine X One hitting shops sometime soon, probably retailing at around £2k, shouldn't there be HC pjs with seperate chips for each colour available for about £5k? Lets face it, the rainbow effect is all that stands between DLP and the HC-PJ throne, as it would lack LCD's screendoor and chickenwire, CRT's need for permanent installation and maintenance, and from what I hear, LCOS still suffers from a lot of dead pixels.

Naturally, CRT would still reign supreme for a few years yet, but isn't this the next logical advance for DLP to take? I only ask out of interest, as I am having to scrimp and save for a £2k pj as it is, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of any such pj hitting the market anytime soon.

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Texus Instruments the company that make the DLP / DMD chipset keep very close ties on what manufactuers can and can't do with their chips.

Very few of the projector manufactuers actually make the light engine part of the projector. They make the case and the electonics which is the clever parts.

Any of the manufacterers who develope a new idea for the light path (spinning colour wheel have to submit that back to TI.

At the moment only a hand full of the big boys can buy just the chips and design their own optical system. and even then it is for use on the big projectors. (6000 ansi £25,000)

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This tool will stop the DLP rainbow effect.

It will also improve the black level of LCD.

4. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    TexAs Instruments wants 3-chip DLPs to be used exclusively in digital cinemas whereas home and professional users will have to make do with single-chip DLP projectors. In principle, making an affordable 3-chip DLP isn't that hard; they simply have decided they prefer the current two-tier model.

My hope is that, if and when LCoS projectors start offering great images at reasonable prices, TI will reconsider that policy.

Regards.

5. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cheers Roland I tried your suggested tool to improve the black levels (I probably did it wrong, because I didn't have quite the same size hammer). The blacks great with the lights off it is now pitch black, however I do find I keep treading on bits of broken glass and plastic now.

Is their anyway I can undo this modification ?

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    A big CRT should cover up the debris.

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    HEY! thats the same thing Roland used to put the nails in my ceiling, to hold my CRT up with.
    Trouble is a have a flat roof above the cinema room, and i have four great big nails sticking out of the top!. Should i bend them over to stop the pigeons tripping over them?:D

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tip From Eric.......

For LCD/DLP owners who want to improve black level.....Try this.

Go to your nearest opticians and buy a pair of good quality sunglasses like Ray-Bans. This will vastly improve black level and will save a fortune on that Stewart Greyhawk screen you were going to buy.:eek:

Seriously, I read somewhere a few days ago that this guy couldent get the image looking right.
    He realized (after pulling half his hair out) that he changed over to tinted specs recently and forgot about them:cool:

I hope Don Stewarts not reading this....sorry Don, just joking:p

Eric

9. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Or you could wield that handy tool in the face of that reluctant CRT projector in order to encourage it to be just a little brighter.

Alternately, use it to knock a three-feet wide hole in the wall to hide the gravity-impaired CRT from view.

Also, some energetic use of the implement may be helpful to disassemble the unit for effortless transportation.

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grubert,
    ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Once a good CRT is up, we dont need to move it mate. We dont upgrade every two minutes like the other folk.:cool:

Eric

11. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    LOL :) :) fulabeer i have another idea get some very small boots made for the pigeons and then they can hurt themselves ...... :clown:

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Fulabeer.

They are special EHT dischage points.

Sorry to hear the pidgeons have got out again. but good luck in the race next week. Keep feeding them with that special grain.