Question Solution to handling multiple audio inputs to my active speakers?

qeldnb

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a pair of PreSonus Eris E5s as my first set of real speakers. I'm aware that they are near-field monitors, but temporarily (maybe for the next year), I'm keeping them set up around my (quite old) TV that is basically being used as a large external display, as it's the best option for our circumstances.

Anyways, my issue is as follows: I am mainly concerned with playing audio from two sources, both routed into the TV via HDMI: 1. My laptop and 2. A Nintendo Switch.
I originally picked up two cables, a 3.5mm to dual XLR & a 3.5mm to dual TRS, hoping to be able to use both of the balanced inputs on the speakers, but I've since found that you can't have both inputs in at the same time, one of them is simply prioritised and the other remains silent. The simple solution should have been to just use the audio output 3.5mm plug on the TV to the speakers, but, when I compare it plugging directly into the laptop/switch, the sound quality is terrible and there is a significant amount of background static even though they are using the same power strip!

Is there some sort of interface/switch/something that would enable me to have both inputs plugged into it and then have one connection from that interface to the speakers, so there would be no constant cable switching and powering on and off of the monitors?

Thanks for your time!

If your TV has a digital optical output, you could use that through a DAC. You would use the TV to switch sources, but bypass the analogue circuits in the TV, which may improve the sound.
However you may not be able to control the volume through the TV if you use the digital output. You may need volume control in the DAC.

The easy alternative is to buy an older AVR with HDMI inputs and pre-outs for the front channels. I reckon you can find an old AVR for under £100. But make sure it has HDMI, front pre outs for the active speakers, and a working remote.
Connect all the sources and the TV to the AVR via HDMI, and the active speakers to the pre outs of the front channels on the AVR. Then use the AVR to change source and control the volume.

Something like this should do the job, to give an idea. And you could also add an active subwoofer if needed.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If you have room an old av receiver with preouts as mentioned above is great, gives multiple inputs, maybe a radio, even without hdmi as also said optical out will work. This is how my set up is now

Attachments

• IMG_20210130_123444031.jpg
    IMG_20210130_123444031.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20210130_123433699.jpg
    IMG_20210130_123433699.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 68
If your TV has a digital optical output, you could use that through a DAC. You would use the TV to switch sources, but bypass the analogue circuits in the TV, which may improve the sound.
However you may not be able to control the volume through the TV if you use the digital output. You may need volume control in the DAC.

The easy alternative is to buy an older AVR with HDMI inputs and pre-outs for the front channels. I reckon you can find an old AVR for under £100. But make sure it has HDMI, front pre outs for the active speakers, and a working remote.
Connect all the sources and the TV to the AVR via HDMI, and the active speakers to the pre outs of the front channels on the AVR. Then use the AVR to change source and control the volume.

Thanks for the advice, I never thought about getting a receiver just for the HDMIs & pre-outs. Managed to locate a very cheap deal on a Denon AVR-2307, so I'll see how it turns out!

If you don’t get on with the AV thing (looks like it may well be knackered) then keep the tv volume below around 75% and use one of these,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom