Solution to getting kicked from parties etc.

Tall_Paul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of issues with Black Ops in terms of not being able to connect to certain friends, getting kicked 2, 3 times from the pre-game lobby etc etc. and I've now found out why that is! Thought I'd share it on here as it will probably help a few others. :smashin:

My NAT type on MW2 was alway Open, 100% of the time, however on Black Ops I noticed the other day it was Strict. Check this yourself by going into MP, into options and press select. If the nat type is strict when it's been open for you previously, follow these steps...

1. Find your MW2 disc - no this isn't a joke :D (presuming you haven't sold it), and load up to the MW2 party screen where it shows your nat type in the bottom left.

2. Eject the MW2 disc, don't quit game - just eject the disc and this will take you back to the XMB.

3. Load up Black Ops without resetting your PS3, go into MP and your Nat type will now be open!!

There seems to be a bug where it's displaying some peoples nat type incorrectly, this was causing me all my problems. I got host about 5 times last night for the first time since black ops came out, and was getting kicked about 95% less than before :clap:

You can check your NAT type by doing a connection test from the PS3.

I think an Open Nat should read NAT Type 2.

I don't have the best connection but I was pulling the host a few times yesterday. For some reason though Vrs seems to get host ALL the time and it is absolutely unplayable on his connection, and I am not exaggerating how bad it is, it is atrocious.

There are even times where I am host and then mid game it would migrate to Vrs :suicide:.

My NAT type on the XMB is open too, the issue is that black ops was showing it as strict when it wasn't, which was causing all my problems.

To add, you won't need to do this each time you play either, booted up my ps3 this morning and it's still showing as open :smashin:

read this on the the black ops forum will let you know in 10 mins if it works.

Did this last night, following TPs instructions and this does exactly what it says on the tin. Does make things better in terms of parties.

If only treyarch actually got it to work in the first place.

will everyone in the party have to do this for it to work or just the host?

will everyone in the party have to do this for it to work or just the host?

Just if your nat type in black ops is showing as strict when it's actually open. I would get kicked from the party and have to rejoin 2/3 times when in a pre-game lobby but it was only me getting kicked, since doing this it's pretty much solved that problem :smashin:

Where does it show you what your nat type is?

there is an option where you select playermatch/wager match and all that

i think you press select

Where does it show you what your nat type is?

When you're in the main MP menu, there's playstation network, local, options & main menu - select options then press select for system info - NAT type is the 3rd one down on the list.

whats the diagnosis if its moderate?!

Was it moderate on MW2? If not then I would still give this a go.

Was it moderate on MW2? If not then I would still give this a go.

given it a crack and it appears as moderate in MW2 also. i will look at opening more ports as ive heard this is the thing to do :)

Cheers paul, gave it a try but still keeps kicking me out of games etc.

followed the instructions & have played about 10 games not once have i been booted or had host migration happen so far so good :smashin:

Bah, I traded MW2 in lol.

Complete nightmare, will they patch this?

Thought you can't have open if you're wireless?

I'm using homeplugs on my setup. But I'm sure it was still running at open when it was wireless.

For the people that this has worked for. do you have your PS3 in a DMZ? If not maybe it is MW2 using the UPnP on your router correctly, and opening the ports to the PS3. Which are then staying open

This would explain why this strange fix works.

If so then Black Ops is not opening the routers ports using UPnP correctly and I'm sure that could be patched

Do you only have to do this once or everytime you turn on your PS ?

Tried this idea and was surprised to find both showed my NAT as strict. Rebooted the router and ps3 and now it shows as open and I've only had one dropout in about a dozen games since then. So thanks to the OP.

Thought you can't have open if you're wireless?
yes u can as I was wireless for most of the year and on a open nat type (now using a ethernet plug now, so suppose it dont matter anymore)

But u def can have open nat type on wireless

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom