1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solution for master recordings.

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by kprint, Aug 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. kprint

kprint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to create master video tapes with the best line resolution with distribution on standard VHS tapes. I am aware that line resolution on VHS is 250, SVHS 400 and DV 500. My video card has s-video and composite outputs, so I have a choice. If I record onto SVHS as the master and then subsequently copy from SVHS to VHS, will the resultant tape be of any better quality, than if I had recorded direct with composite to a standard VCR? Also would there be any degradation in picture quality-the “generation effect” using the SVHS as the master?
    Storing on Mini-DV and VCD is of no use as I need storage of at least 2 hours. I can see that DVD could be the answer, but the cost at the moment has to be justified. For those of you who have a DVD recorder, do these machines have an output facility so that copies can be made to a VHS recorder?
    My set up if it helps to answer my query is Panasonic MX8 MiniDV, firewire, Pinnacle7, and Matrox G450 video card.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    I have a Panasonic DMRE20 DVD-RAM recorder and use it frequently to transfer from VHS to disk and, occasionally vice-versa (if I need to lend a programme to a friend or something). It works fine although I found when going from VHS to DVD (not the other way) would be a little to red - I dealt with this by purchasing a CopyMate (which I seem to remember was quite cheap).

I don't know what you want this for but I experimented with a number of VHS/SVHS recorders trying to obtain the best medium to archive my off-air recordings but ultimately DVD has been the only one I am truely happy with.

3. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Direct to composite in theory should be better, because there is one less conversion in the transfer (DV->SVHS->VHS) v (DV->VHS).
    Yes indeed! This is the problem with analogue material - after about 3 or 4 generations without processing we're into "it could be anything" image quality :)

Err no, if your cam has dv-in, and long play mode, panasonics 80min tape gives 120min (i.e. 2hrs!) long play. But that is a max, of course - no way to get 2hrs 10min, without using two tapes!

I don't have a DVD recorder, but yes, copies can be made to VHS/SVHS machines. It's really about whether you want the convience of a DVD, but obviously the extra cost, or dump back to the DV cam up to two hours, with higher picture quality and no extra machine cost.

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Isnt the generation effect caused by a time code issue? And isnt there a gizmo to correct this so that it minimises the generation effect?

As an aside there is SVHSET which gives you 400 lines on a VHS tape (supposedly nearSVHS quality). If you go for a cheap SVHS deck at least you get the Svideo option (in and out) which will give a marginally better picture transfer.